Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2010, 21:25   #1
BANNED

ICEing my iKon (Low on Budget)

Hey all, I have a 6 year old 1.3 iKon Flair. The audio setup is completely stock. 2 rear speakers and 2 front door speakers. Stock Ford HU which has cassette playing ability + CD changer controls (No CD changer installed though)

Now, the speakers aren't great but average and i wanna change them and I'm low on budget. The head unit, i wanna change and also dont wanna change.

Dont want to change because the HU goes with the dash and green lightning system of the car and want to change because it has no AUX IN and USB port only cassette player. I've been using that 70 bucks cassette with wire to play music using my iPhone.

My budget for everything HU+speakers is Rs.8000 because i've already spent on alloys. HU (preferably sony with usb & aux in + remote) and speakers (ones with best sound quality and preferably JBL). I can wait to change the front speakers. Not much of a bass-junkie so no no to sup or amp or woofer, whatever (don't know the difference).

So, please help me out guys. Which one to buy or avoid and what to stick to withing my budget. Gonna get everything installed on 9th April from Ludhiana.

MODS: Please don't delete the thread
Old 6th April 2010, 22:13   #2
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

8K would be kind of tight. A decent HU would be around 6-7K and speakers would be around 3K per pair.

Else you would have to consider some non-reputed brands.
Old 6th April 2010, 22:37   #3
Senior - BHPian

Pioneer DEH 1190MP with Aux-in : 5700 (not sure of current price)
Pioneer 6x9 350w: 2500
JBL co-axial 5" with the rest of the money.
Old 7th April 2010, 01:28   #4
BHPian

check out the tbhp ice classified. 8k you will get a hu and 4 speakers.

my advice, please dont go for sony & panasonic hu, or pio speakers.
No unbranded stuff. your stock will be better than unbranded.

UM

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/classi...ct/6861/cat/18

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/classi...ct/6844/cat/18

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/classi...ct/5640/cat/18

Last edited by UniqueMods : 7th April 2010 at 01:35.
Old 7th April 2010, 07:13   #5
Senior - BHPian

If you are alone going to do the driving most of the time , then just get a descent head unit like a pioneer 4250 and then A set of components. This will do the job . It will also give you a proper base to expand later when needed because the the HU has 2 rca outs.
Old 7th April 2010, 11:20   #6
Senior - BHPian

Actually the stock Sanyo system sounds pretty good if you could replace the crappy speakers. I did it with my Ikon 4 years back with Pioneer 6x9 speakers and never had to change the HU. The HU has CD changer capability. See if you can get one cheap and you could retain your HU.
Old 7th April 2010, 13:54   #7
BHPian

thorpe sir in ludhiana the jbl gto-608 components are priced at 4200 rs without bill. go for a pioneer hu and these components and later on add some good rear 6*9 till then keep the old stock rear speaker .this will give u good sound .later when u have budget u can add jbl 948 which i think come at 2900 rs.
i am in ludhiana u can pm me maybe i could help u
Old 7th April 2010, 13:59   #8
BHPian

Thorpe, as Arjun suggested, get a good HU and a good front components, later you can upgrade the rear speakers. HU select the one with all your requisites, because we cannot change this later.
Old 7th April 2010, 19:09   #9
BANNED

thanx a lot for your views guys. In an HU, I'm looking for one with USB connection and AUX both + green lightning to match my car's dash lightning system. Also, after seeing the sky high prices of HUs, I'm not able to decide what to go for, HU or Speakers.

If i buy speakers, which ones affect the sound quality, front ones or rear ones? I can extend my budget to 1k more than means 9k. Don't wanna go for sub or amp or woofer coz its the family car not my personal.

Do the dealers keep the old HU and speakers???
Old 7th April 2010, 21:12   #10
BANNED

Guys, Went to the local market in my city... MOGA (its a small city)

(Not sure of both HU's model no. but both have AUX and USB option and the model nos. are very close to the images on sony and pioneer websites)

Products With Guarantee:

Pioneer 2290UB (with USB & AUX IN) : Rs. 6000
Sony GT494U (With USB & AUX IN) : Rs. 5700
JBL GT5-S396 280W : Rs. 2800
JBL GTO948: Rs. 3200

Products Without Guarantee (But Genuine Products)

Sony GT494U (With USB & AUX IN) : Rs. 5200
JBL GT5-S396 280W : Rs. 2400

No Installation Charges and dealer not keeping the old speakers + HU

Last edited by thorpe : 7th April 2010 at 21:24.
Old 7th April 2010, 21:17   #11
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rupinder View Post
thorpe sir in ludhiana the jbl gto-608 components are priced at 4200 rs without bill. go for a pioneer hu and these components and later on add some good rear 6*9 till then keep the old stock rear speaker .this will give u good sound .later when u have budget u can add jbl 948 which i think come at 2900 rs.
i am in ludhiana u can pm me maybe i could help u
hey can you tell me from where in ludhiana i can get jbl gto948(400w) for 2900 bucks... i'll get em fitted tomorrow itself....
Old 8th April 2010, 12:25   #12
BHPian

Thorpe, I am surprised to see the prices of JBL products with gurantee.. last month I bought gto948 for Rs.4800 with bill and warranty card. The HU seems to be ok.

I am using pio 4050 with 3 RCA , But it seems that HU is outdated.

Hope you are in the right way. Please go ahead with the upgrade.
Old 8th April 2010, 18:11   #13
BANNED

guys, my main concern was inability to play latest mp3 songs via pen drive and AUX in. Now, I'm getting an iPod nano 4th Gen 8GB for Rs. 3600. I'm thinking of dropping the ICEing idea and APPLEing my iKon by using the ipod nano for playing songs via the good old cassette adapter. This way, the dashboard looks also won't get spoiled + i'll be using the latest device to play mp3s + 8GB of memory is more than enough.

What do you people suggest??
Old 8th April 2010, 20:12   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorpe View Post
Guys, Went to the local market in my city... MOGA (its a small city)

(Not sure of both HU's model no. but both have AUX and USB option and the model nos. are very close to the images on sony and pioneer websites)

Products With Guarantee:

Sony GT494U (With USB & AUX IN) : Rs. 5700
JBL GT5-S396 280W : Rs. 2800
JBL GTO948: Rs. 3200

Products Without Guarantee (But Genuine Products)

Sony GT494U (With USB & AUX IN) : Rs. 5200
JBL GT5-S396 280W : Rs. 2400

No Installation Charges and dealer not keeping the old speakers + HU
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelightening View Post
Thorpe, I am surprised to see the prices of JBL products with gurantee.. last month I bought gto948 for Rs.4800 with bill and warranty card. The HU seems to be ok.

I am using pio 4050 with 3 RCA , But it seems that HU is outdated.

Hope you are in the right way. Please go ahead with the upgrade.
Thorpe please check whether they are original. Last week got JBl 948 for my swift and they costed me a cool 4500 rs which i thought was cheap. Try to get it from a very reputed store. There are lot of fakes there which we wouldn't be able to differentiate from . Especially be more careful when buying JBL. They even replicate the holograms.
Old 10th April 2010, 18:55   #15
BANNED

guys.. bought the pioneer 2290UB head unit.
Its not a great looker but goes well with the dashboard and the db's green lightning.

The guy who installed the HU said that the stock speakers are absolutely fine and no need to change them, also, after he tunes the HU, they'll sound superb and that's what happened.

The HU has a front USB, AUX IN and single CD player feature. Also, the main reason for the high price of the HU is that it is made for work with iPod (all) + iPod touch + iPhone 1st Gen, 3G and 3GS. just plug in the iphone cable in USB port and it immediately recognises the iPhone. Then, you can select the songs on ipod/iphone using the HU.

Damages: Rs. 6k including installation

Thanx a ton for your support guys!

Just looking for a pioneer steering remote now CD SR-100.
Anyone wants to sell, PM me.

Last edited by thorpe : 10th April 2010 at 18:59.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks