Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2010, 19:49   #1
BHPian

Which sub-woofer for JBL 601.1 Mono?

Hello Gurus,

Could you please suggest me which sub-woofer to go in with the JBL 601.1 mono amplifier. I am looking to hook up a pair of subs with these, Budget for 2 subs approx 10-12k.

Kindly Suggest. Thanks A lot.
Old 7th April 2010, 20:01   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagrocks7 View Post
Hello Gurus,

Could you please suggest me which sub-woofer to go in with the JBL 601.1 mono amplifier. I am looking to hook up a pair of subs with these, Budget for 2 subs approx 10-12k.

Kindly Suggest. Thanks A lot.
You can try to JBL GT5-S12 or Ground Zero Titanium MK2 both comes well inside your budget and both pump close to 300+ RMS each.

You can also, opt for Infinity subs which again come in similar price range.

Alternativley you can opt for a single Sub that can give 500-600W RMS also. You can save a bit on boot space
Old 7th April 2010, 20:11   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi10 View Post
You can try to JBL GT5-S12 or Ground Zero Titanium MK2 both comes well inside your budget and both pump close to 300+ RMS each.

You can also, opt for Infinity subs which again come in similar price range.

Alternativley you can opt for a single Sub that can give 500-600W RMS also. You can save a bit on boot space
Thanks for your reply. I guess Ground Zero Titanium MK2 is discontinued and the replacement for that is bit on a higher price range.

How are the JBL GT5-S12 which you mentioned?

Boot space not a problem for me.
Old 7th April 2010, 22:05   #4
Senior - BHPian

I would also look at options from Polk. I don't know why Polk sub woofers are not popular here. They sound pretty ok for the price.
Old 7th April 2010, 22:47   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
I would also look at options from Polk. I don't know why Polk sub woofers are not popular here. They sound pretty ok for the price.
Can you let me know the price range they fall in and where to get genuine polk products?
Old 8th April 2010, 14:17   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Could you please suggest me which sub-woofer to go in with the JBL 601.1 mono amplifier.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi10 View Post
You can try to JBL GT5-S12
Well... The 601.1 is really quite powerful. You could even get more powerful woofers than the GT5-S12, which is actually an entry-level subwoofer.
Old 8th April 2010, 15:38   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Budget for 2 subs approx 10-12k.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Well... The 601.1 is really quite powerful. You could even get more powerful woofers than the GT5-S12, which is actually an entry-level subwoofer.
Sam I guess his budget of 6K per sub was the determining factor. Keeping cone displacement low by using twice the Sd will reduce distortion.
Old 8th April 2010, 19:10   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
That's the reason I am planning to get 2 sub-woofers with this amplifier.
Old 8th April 2010, 19:36   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Sam I guess his budget of 6K per sub was the determining factor. Keeping cone displacement low by using twice the Sd will reduce distortion.
@Navin,Will using a low power sub lead to distortion? and what does Sd stands for?
Old 8th April 2010, 21:42   #10
Senior - BHPian

I have read that the JBL Power series of subwoofers are supposed to sound awesome! I think you can fit one of those. Get a nice ported enclosure and give it full power from the 601.1. Trust me, you won't need those 2 subs.
Old 9th April 2010, 23:51   #11
BHPian

Hi Jagrocks... try India JBL for more details on JBL India products...
Old 10th April 2010, 09:45   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
@Navin,Will using a low power sub lead to distortion? and what does Sd stands for?
Sd is surface area of the cone. The ammount of bass produced by a woofer is directly related to teh volume of air displaced by it. Volume is Sd x Xmax (linear, one way). Sd is cone area and this means you have to ignore the surround and also consider teh cone topology (a deeper cone will have more area than a hsallow cone).

Please note that this only determines the QUANTITY of bass not the quality of bass.

Power has nothing to do with it. Most power ratings are thermal. However with most drivers (incl subwoofers) it is their physical limits that are the limitng factor. Bl, Cms, Xmax, etc... determine how loud a subwoofer will play at say 50Hz with say 100W being fed into it. Most woofers will compress (initially the compression is quite linear and becomes non-linear after the first 5-9mm of excursion) music so while they might produce 90db at 1 w at 50Hz they might not produce 110db at 100W at 50Hz (110db would be the theoretical limit if their suspension was not taxed and offered no resistance or compression).

There are many ways to deal with distortion due to comression (note that this distortion is several orders of magnitude higher than the miniscule distortion figures quoted by most amplifer manufacturers). However for DIYers one easy way is to double Sd (use 2 woofers) reducing the Xmax required to half (and in most cases the distortion falls more than half). However please remember that using 2 x 4 ohm woofers with some amps might put too much stress on the amps as the amp will be seeing only 2 ohms.
Old 10th April 2010, 12:19   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Sd is surface area of the cone. The ammount of bass produced by a woofer is directly related to teh volume of air displaced by it. Volume is Sd x Xmax (linear, one way). Sd is cone area and this means you have to ignore the surround and also consider teh cone topology (a deeper cone will have more area than a hsallow cone).

Please note that this only determines the QUANTITY of bass not the quality of bass.

Power has nothing to do with it. Most power ratings are thermal. However with most drivers (incl subwoofers) it is their physical limits that are the limitng factor. Bl, Cms, Xmax, etc... determine how loud a subwoofer will play at say 50Hz with say 100W being fed into it. Most woofers will compress (initially the compression is quite linear and becomes non-linear after the first 5-9mm of excursion) music so while they might produce 90db at 1 w at 50Hz they might not produce 110db at 100W at 50Hz (110db would be the theoretical limit if their suspension was not taxed and offered no resistance or compression).

There are many ways to deal with distortion due to comression (note that this distortion is several orders of magnitude higher than the miniscule distortion figures quoted by most amplifer manufacturers). However for DIYers one easy way is to double Sd (use 2 woofers) reducing the Xmax required to half (and in most cases the distortion falls more than half). However please remember that using 2 x 4 ohm woofers with some amps might put too much stress on the amps as the amp will be seeing only 2 ohms.
@navin,That was really technical, Sorry few things just bounced of my head. So what is the best possible thing for the JBL 601.1? I mean getting a single woofer or a pair of sub-woofers as decided.?
Old 10th April 2010, 13:09   #14
BANNED

Get IDQ if someone is coming from US going very cheap on eBay and many other sites single sub setup, or if you want two subs go for Infinity REF series either 10 or 12" they also sounds pretty good i have REF 1062 10" in my car and it simply outperforms many 12" may be due to proper setup, i have GTO 301.1 and sub is DVC running on 2 ohms providing full potential of GTO amp to subs 275W RMS demand.
Do it right you wont go wrong with them.
Old 10th April 2010, 20:13   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaybiz View Post
Get IDQ if someone is coming from US going very cheap on eBay and many other sites single sub setup, or if you want two subs go for Infinity REF series either 10 or 12" they also sounds pretty good i have REF 1062 10" in my car and it simply outperforms many 12" may be due to proper setup, i have GTO 301.1 and sub is DVC running on 2 ohms providing full potential of GTO amp to subs 275W RMS demand.
Do it right you wont go wrong with them.
@Ajaybiz, How much would the Infinity REF series Sub-woofer costs approx?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks