Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2010, 22:31   #1
BHPian

Child Health Issues in ICEing my car

Hi

My daughter is 15 months old and i am wondering if ICE ng my car with sub woofer, DVD screen and so on would be detrimental to her health particularly

1) Hearing

2) Sight

What would be the right mix of equipment and settings to ensure that i get the best of both worlds Quality & healthy sound

Thanks

Last edited by dvprasad : 7th April 2010 at 22:40. Reason: Corrections
Old 7th April 2010, 22:48   #2
Senior - BHPian

Do keep the volumes very low if little princes is in the car.

Toddlers are sensitive to harsh light and sound.
Old 7th April 2010, 23:08   #3
naughty001

what you need to remember is that the subwoofer was not designed only to play mindnumbing bass all the time - it was designed initially to play the frequencies that get lost by road and wind noise and tyre rumble and exhaust noise

so even if its there it doesnt need to be flat out all the time

mine is normally so low ie it corresponds to a competitive format of having a flattish frequency response according to equal contour loudness curves so it never seems like any frequency is in excess - more like a hi-fi at home (which doesnt have a huge sub)

so theres no need to have huge amps at full gain and subs playing till every bolt in the car is working its way loose due to rattles and so are the fillings in your teeth

you could play all these things in moderation so as to ensure that you get the full experience but the key word is moderation since that will add to the quality of life not to the quantity of mind numbing bass

Old 7th April 2010, 23:12   #4
Team-BHP Support

Do not let you little one watch video (even at home) till he/she is about 2.2-2.5 years old (26-30 months). In the car even adult eyes tire with video.

As far as sound is concerned keep the levels below normal speach levels (sub 85db). If you find you ahve to raise your voice to be heard the volume is too loud.
Old 7th April 2010, 23:46   #5
BHPian

with Navin. As child has sensitive eyes they should not watch video in car. Talking about volume try to keep it as low as possible and do remember to avoid long night trip as many time the other car's headlight may blind children for some time as they are the most powerful source of light. Even most adults also face same problem due to car headlights.
Old 8th April 2010, 11:22   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamback View Post
with Navin. As child has sensitive eyes they should not watch video in car.
Children under 30 months should not watch any video (not at home either - their eyes are not designed for that).

Children under 6 months should not be exposed to flash photography unless you have a bounce flash and there is no direct flash. I am not a doctor, I was told this by a doctor friend in Germany.
Old 8th April 2010, 11:59   #7
BHPian

Wow ! Great information I learnt today, as my son is 3.5 months old.

Will definitely keep in mind above things.

Thanks guys.
Old 8th April 2010, 13:15   #8
BANNED

Nice info on this.
I have a 14.5 months old son. I will take care of this.
Old 8th April 2010, 14:13   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

And i definitely think it is best you don't play a subwoofer with a small child.
Old 8th April 2010, 15:32   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
And i definitely think it is best you don't play a subwoofer with a small child.
My son used to play with woofers, capacitors and inductors when he was less than 2 years old. In fact he has tired of them now. He prefers his Lego and other toys.

oh...now I get what Sam meant, I agree, sudden loud noises will startle and scare a child.

Most Viewed