Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2010, 16:49   #76
BHPian

@GTO: Firstly congrats for getting a great system. Even I've heard the names(DLS/Peerless) for the first time.

From the pictures, the amplifiers have been installed in the boot. Was wondering if they could have been moved somewhere else(maybe under the rear seat) so as to protect it from getting stolen. Any thoughts on securing your precious components? I was browsing the thread on securing ICE earlier this morning & now I am in two minds whether I should go ahead with getting a good system or stick with OEM.
Old 21st April 2010, 17:10   #77
BHPian

Superlative stuff!!!

@ GTO : Can we have a "feel" of the sound. Why don't you upload a video? Looking forward to it.

@ Ajay : I am not sure if this is the right place to ask- a friend of mine wants to install a music system in his i10- he prefers deep bass and hi clarity but not loud music. Any suggestions??

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay2233 View Post
I wish to see the fotos soon...
Old 21st April 2010, 18:16   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adg_andy View Post
@ Ajay : I am not sure if this is the right place to ask- a friend of mine wants to install a music system in his i10- he prefers deep bass and hi clarity but not loud music. Any suggestions??
Hi... I dont think I am the right person to answer this as I am myself not much aware of the car music systems.. I was just amazed to see the outcome on GTO's car.
Guess Navin would be the right Person.

I think there is another Ajay also in this thread...

-Ajay

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 20 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Last edited by Technocrat : 21st April 2010 at 20:02.
Old 22nd April 2010, 09:51   #79
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay2233 View Post
Hi... I dont think I am the right person to answer this ...I think there is another Ajay also in this thread...
I think he was refering to B&T aka Ajay Kamath.

adg_andy, Why not start a seperate thread?
Old 22nd April 2010, 17:40   #80
BHPian

Congrats GTO, neat installation and as rightly said by others dont like the sub woofer grill, please change it at the earliest.

I have the same head unit, infact had done a mistake by buying Kenwood earlier, nothing beats Pioneer headunit. I have 12" JL Audio sub-woofer with JL components and tweeters, I love the sound quality. What I love about pioneer is you dont have to do settings for every song it has some magic in it that every song sounds just PERCECT!!!

Now that you have a civic the frame/center panel you should have ordered real black carbon fibre as that is what I am using for my HU, also you can change the side panels with the same material infact for the gear area as well. Looks very neat and would have costed you less or same as what you have spent for the double din panel (my 1$ suggestion).

You are in Mumbai lets meet up sometime in Bandra and see how it sounds. Even I love lots of base in the car.

Cheers

Last edited by The Saint : 22nd April 2010 at 17:44.
Old 22nd April 2010, 17:53   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adg_andy View Post
I am not sure if this is the right place to ask- a friend of mine wants to install a music system in his i10- he prefers deep bass and hi clarity but not loud music. Any suggestions??
Your friend needs a "low pass filter" connected to HU and then the output of this low pass filter going to a high quality subwoofer amplifier and volume control of this amp fitted somewhere on dash. This way he can have lots of boom boom without making music louder

BTW Nice setup GTO! I am sure it must be making people crazy when you pass from streets.

Last edited by Hashim : 22nd April 2010 at 17:54.
Old 25th April 2010, 18:20   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedal2Metal View Post
1. Why did you use two 2-channel amps as against one 4 channel amp?
2. Why is the LHS and RHS connected to a different amp as against, Front and Rear. Is this to make the wiring simpler?
3. I didn't notice the sub enclosures are ported. Are they?
4. Did you calculate to get the right enclosure volume or just made sure they fitted in the space in the boot?
5. Why didn't you use components in the rear?
6. How is the connection to both the subs made on the monoblock? In series or in parallel?
7. Are the Subs DVC? If yes, how did you make use of the Voice Coils?

NOOB QUESTION:
Did you not see the need for a capacitor? How do you know when you need one?
1. They're very powerful amp, about 130 x 2 @ 4 ohms. Hard to find a 4 channel amplifier with such specs.
2. One amp is for the front, other is for the rear. It's not LHS and RHS, although there's no issue doing that either.
3. The sub enclosures aren't ported. They're sealed enclosures.
4. The Peerless subs have a volume range that they can operate out of, and we've picked whatever worked best for the space available.
5. The 428s are like components in the sense, they use a 1" silk dome tweeter, and have an outboard crossover network. The only difference is that the tweeter cannot be removes and re-positioned, but why would we want that anyway?
6. Dual 4 ohm subs hooked up in parallel to pose 2 ohms to the amp.
7. 4 ohm SVC

No point using a capacitor in a system that is driven at almost full tilt 90% of the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
Some more Q's if you will

* What make are the stock speakers of the Civic?
* How are the stock tweeters and woofers at the front connected to the stock HU? Are the tweeters directly connected to the HU? Is there a xover (I doubt!) ?
* How much of a SQ issue would it have been if the new tweeters were installed in the stock tweeter locations on the dash corners?
* Which surfaces on the doors have been damped? One of them is visible in the snap. Have the inside of the door plastic, and the inside surface of the outer body shell been damped too?
* Where have the xovers been installed?

PS: Ajay has lost weight? Seems to be carrying a lean and hung...err thirsty look !
* Don't know stock speaker brand.
* No 2-way crossover
* They'd fire into the windshield. Would have sounded much different.
* All 3 surfaces have been damped
* All hidden away close to the speakers themselves

I'm on a diet.

Last edited by navin : 25th April 2010 at 23:55.
Old 25th April 2010, 19:28   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
One amp is for the front, other is for the rear. It's not LHS and RHS, although there's no issue doing that either.
B&T is the guru here, but my guess is tuning would be a challenge since the setup has different speakers for front and rear.

And regarding B&T's tuning, I am a big fan of his capabilities. I remember the time when I met B&T in Mysore (over 2 years ago) - and we went to my Baleno. He just heard the setup for a few seconds, picked up the screw driver and did some magical tuning in seconds. Till date, I haven't dared to get the tuning altered by anyone (including myself), because IMO, it is simply THE best.

Last edited by navin : 25th April 2010 at 23:55.
Old 25th April 2010, 23:59   #84
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksterraghu View Post
Till date, I haven't dared to get the tuning altered by anyone (including myself), because IMO, it is simply THE best.
Actually the best way to learn is by fooling around. Ask GTO. He will agree that he is not audio guru but he has been tuing his system to his taste and untill he folled around with the system he would never have got it to sound like he liked.

What Ajay did was give GTO a system that can be tuned to the hard hip hop taste GTO likes. If it were my system Ajay might have used a single 4 ch. amp and maybe different rear speakers and HU. It is like Ajay gave GTO a pallette with all the 'right' colours on it. It is GTO that's inchrage of painting what he likes.

Everyon has different taste. My mom, wife and me all have different taste so each of our systems is tuned slightly differently. If I sit in my wife's car I turn the treble down to -1 (it has been tuned to her tasre when 'flat'). If my wife sits in my car she ups the treble to +1 at 12kHz. She likes it little brighter than me. I like my bass dryer and tighter she likes is a bit more rounded.

Last edited by navin : 26th April 2010 at 00:04.
Old 27th April 2010, 11:53   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Actually the best way to learn is by fooling around. Ask GTO. He will agree that he is not audio guru but he has been tuing his system to his taste and untill he folled around with the system he would never have got it to sound like he liked.

What Ajay did was give GTO a system that can be tuned to the hard hip hop taste GTO likes. If it were my system Ajay might have used a single 4 ch. amp and maybe different rear speakers and HU. It is like Ajay gave GTO a pallette with all the 'right' colours on it. It is GTO that's inchrage of painting what he likes.

Everyon has different taste. My mom, wife and me all have different taste so each of our systems is tuned slightly differently. If I sit in my wife's car I turn the treble down to -1 (it has been tuned to her tasre when 'flat'). If my wife sits in my car she ups the treble to +1 at 12kHz. She likes it little brighter than me. I like my bass dryer and tighter she likes is a bit more rounded.
I totally agree with you, everyone has their own taste and preferences when it comes to tunning up your system. Btw I am sure you remember the issues I had and it was all because of the Kenwood HU, it is all sorted now after the Pioneer 4250.

I have been on couple of BHPian meets, I think its time we organise a nice ICE show off your sound meet. Let's rate the top 10 machines with the best ICE.

Cheers
Old 28th April 2010, 08:46   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
* They'd fire into the windshield. Would have sounded much different.
Quick question to Ajay. You know my tweeters are located in the stock tweeter location in my Civic. Do you think it would be worthwhile repositioning it to fire towards the cabin. Maybe use a fibreglass mounting like the one done here.
Old 28th April 2010, 20:21   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinu2506 View Post
Maybe use a fibreglass mounting like the one done here.

He could probably sell these custom tweeter pods as an aftermarket part under his own brand name !

In fact, is it do-able? Can such FG items be made available off the shelf and fitted by 3rd parties? Or does FG work have to be done in situ, on the car?
Old 28th April 2010, 20:52   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post

In fact, is it do-able? Can such FG items be made available off the shelf and fitted by 3rd parties? Or does FG work have to be done in situ, on the car?
Can make molds and mass-produce to make it cheaper. But the problem is that people will want to install different sized tweeters depending on the component speakers that they have bought.
Old 29th April 2010, 10:56   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksterraghu View Post
B&T is the guru here,

And regarding B&T's tuning, I am a big fan of his capabilities. I remember the time when I met B&T in Mysore (over 2 years ago) - and we went to my Baleno. He just heard the setup for a few seconds, picked up the screw driver and did some magical tuning in seconds. Till date, I haven't dared to get the tuning altered by anyone (including myself), because IMO, it is simply THE best.
+100 to that
When i got my setup installed at BOOM Bandra, Zohir had pumped up both the sub gains and front compos to almost 75%. It was was sounding too bright and muddy. I was enjoying it but everyone else in my family was saying the whole setup is too loud.

And after that every word written above by rocksterraghu is applicable for me as well. just replace the baleno with a lancer.

What is amazing about Ajay is the fact that he knows what the person expects out of his setup and tunes it to perfection accordingly.
And man does he have some ears to figure out the smallest distortion , rattle that is messing the setup.
Old 22nd May 2010, 00:50   #90
Senior - BHPian

@B&T, @Navin any details about how the rear tray was damped would be appreciated. It rattles a lot in my car whenever the sub is made to work hard.

Have tried to explain the problem here
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sound-...imple-ice.html

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks