Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2012, 20:12   #106
BHPian

Re: Turning my Honda Civic into a DISCO!

Don't recollect seeing a single din on a civic, From what I've seen(probably not alot) people either keep the system stock and upgrade the speakers, or double din with other upgrades
So honestly, have no idea how a single din would even look, because no civic's come without the integrated systems,(which you'll have to get rid of) and buy a HU Dash kit from schosche or alike (in the range of 5-6k) which will allow you to place your aftermarket system.
I'm not sure, but didn't you have a CARputer? can't you think along those lines for the civic, a 5.8" screen would fit perfectly on the dash and look pretty clean as well, like it has on GTO's and other civic's
Old 18th September 2012, 22:34   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
I'm bringing alive a relatively docile thread since GTO has not posted a 'long term review' of how his system feels. I am going in for a Civic automatic and plan to install the whole shebang that I am carrying over from the Fiesta S. Only difference is, I intend to have a single din unit instead of GTO's double din. Any idea how bad/good that will look?? I wanna see some pictures.
Also, what should I do about that damn gaping hole in the dash below the head unit :-(
how about single din HU in glove box?? you can put steering wheel controls also.even i love stock look of civics dash.
Old 21st September 2012, 09:29   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Only difference is, I intend to have a single din unit instead of GTO's double din. Any idea how bad/good that will look?? I wanna see some pictures.
Do you really wanna go into that territory? Seriously? Personally, I believe that will kill the looks of your car (as a matter of fact,of any civic). I want to upgrade the ICE on my car as well and I may be (remote chances) going for an aftermarket double din HU but honestly I'm not ready for that yet. A mere thought of killing the stock look gives me goose bumps. Have you thought about going sound processor way at all?? Just for your reference, here's (a rather ugly) pic of single din HU in a Civic.

Turning my Honda Civic into a DISCO!-hu.jpg

PS: My post is not meant to offend anyone who has single din setup in their civic.

Cheers
Punzabi

Last edited by Punzabi : 21st September 2012 at 09:31.
Punzabi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2012, 09:40   #109
Senior - BHPian

I will have to go in for this. Good sound was always paramount for me and everything else can take a backseat. I agree it looks like an eyesore but all this will be forgotten the moment I switch on the audio system :-)
Old 21st September 2012, 12:07   #110
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I will have to go in for this. Good sound was always paramount for me and everything else can take a backseat. I agree it looks like an eyesore but all this will be forgotten the moment I switch on the audio system :-)
Frank get the Bit 10. You know where and you know who can install it. I dont need to give you pointers na?

You'll get TA, EQ and once oy hook up yor laptop to it you can mess around to your heart's desire.
navin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2012, 12:09   #111
Senior - BHPian

But I already have some expensive equipment lying around. Got myself a new head unit too. I don't want to compromise on sound quality for aesthetics. Also, this Honda unit doesn't do USB or Aux. I am not retaining the stock head unit for sure..
Old 21st September 2012, 12:18   #112
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
But I already have some expensive equipment lying around. Got myself a new head unit too. I don't want to compromise on sound quality for aesthetics. Also, this Honda unit doesn't do USB or Aux. I am not retaining the stock head unit for sure..
Aux and all is just plug and play
http://usaspec.com/product.php?ProductID=29
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2012, 13:56   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Frank get the Bit 10. You know where and you know who can install it. I dont need to give you pointers na?
Sire, could you please point me to that direction? Sooner or later I'd be procoring one form my civic.
Old 23rd September 2012, 15:08   #114
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta
The problem with a 3rd party HU in cars like the Civic is retaining the stock look. if that does not bother you go ahead. I know you have some rather expensive equipment taken from the Fiesta and it would be a shame to waste them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punzabi
Sire, could you please point me to that direction? Sooner or later I'd be procoring one form my civic.
in Mumbai Bass and Trouble is the man to find.
navin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2013, 12:15   #115
BHPian

What difference in bass is expected when the two woofers share one sealed enclosure rather than 2 on each side of the boot ? Since GTO and Frank both have similar set ups I an forced to think that sounds better but with my limited knowledge I feel this will make it all the more difficult to tune specially the time alignment part. Can some one guide me on this ? thanks
Old 7th April 2013, 13:17   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_sun View Post
... I an forced to think that sounds better but with my limited knowledge I feel this will make it all the more difficult to tune specially the time alignment part. ...
What is it that you wanted to achieve? Your question is a bit unclear on that. Unless you set your objective correctly, you may be disappointed with the results either way. Also, nothing should force you to think, and in this matter it is better to audition rather than assume that something else is better. "Grass is always greener on the other side ..." and all that!

As long as the 2 subs in the box are connected in phase, they should play fine. If it is a single box, it is better that there is a separator in the middle which forms 2 compartments. This is purely from the p-o-v of mechanical stability - the separator will act as a stiffener, and sub boxes are supposed to be stiff.

Why should there be any problem in Time Alignment?
Old 7th April 2013, 13:54   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
What is it that you wanted to achieve? Your question is a bit unclear on that. Unless you set your objective correctly, you may be disappointed with the results either way. Also, nothing should force you to think, and in this matter it is better to audition rather than assume that something else is better. "Grass is always greener on the other side ..." and all that!

As long as the 2 subs in the box are connected in phase, they should play fine. If it is a single box, it is better that there is a separator in the middle which forms 2 compartments. This is purely from the p-o-v of mechanical stability - the separator will act as a stiffener, and sub boxes are supposed to be stiff.

Why should there be any problem in Time Alignment?
Thanks , ok so let me elaborate. I seek better bass response that I am getting from id V3 in a sealed enclosure with a DD CM 600. Plan to put 2 Rainbow DL in a sealed enclosure together. How would you advise for the upgrade.
Old 7th April 2013, 15:12   #118
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
What difference in bass is expected when the two woofers share one sealed enclosure rather than 2 on each side of the boot ? Since GTO and Frank both have similar set ups I an forced to think that sounds better but with my limited knowledge I feel this will make it all the more difficult to tune specially the time alignment part. Can some one guide me on this ? thanks
The big reason for putting one woofer on each side is to use the trunk more efficiently. Most sedan trunks have nooks and crannies on the sides. By making 2 woofer boxes; one on either side, we can utilise these nooks and crannies.
Old 7th April 2013, 20:00   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... I seek better bass response that I am getting from id V3 in a sealed enclosure with a DD CM 600. Plan to put 2 Rainbow DL in a sealed enclosure together. ...
What would be "better bass response" for you?

It is likely to be different from what I would expect, or Navin would, or just about anyone else would. 2 subs will go louder for the same power (more radiating area; 1 box or 2 doesn't matter), but not necessarily produce better bass.
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2013, 09:53   #120
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
subs will go louder for the same power (more radiating area; 1 box or 2 doesn't matter), but not necessarily produce better bass.
While on the topic of 1 sub vs 2 we have to understand that the SPL of 2 subs is about 6db more than 1 of the same sub. Now 6db is a perceptible increase but not significant. For what I would consider a significant increase (doubling of SPL) one would need 4 of the same subs (which will give a 12db increase over 1 sub).

So why do many use 2 subs?

a. When that 6db makes a difference (in competition even 0.6db can make a difference between 1st and 2nd place or even placing at all).

b. To half the movement of the cone for a particular SPL so say a single subwoofer moved 6mm to produce 95db a@ 50Hz, 2 subwoofers would need to move only 3mm each to produce 95db @ 50Hz. Now THAT is a huge difference to the sub's performance but in terms of distortion and diefnition.

Last edited by navin : 8th April 2013 at 09:58.
navin is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed