Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2010, 22:36   #1
BHPian

ICE -- Some Colourful Doubts!

Friends,

These are some queries that have been in my head for quite some time now. Can anyone help?

1. The audio and call controls on steering wheels:
  • If I change my HU to an aftermarket afterthought, will the steering control buttons still work?
  • I searched around, and saw some vague references to adapters that can connect the steering controls to the new HU … is this for real? And available freely?
  • Do steering controls have wires? Or do they work by wireless signals?
2. In case of the Swift ZXi, the car comes with a built-in stereo and four speakers (according to Maruti website).
  • Can someone advise me if this is any good? What make and model are the HU and speakers?
  • While buying a new car, before taking delivery, is it possible to reject the stock stereo and speakers and get the vehicle’s price reduced? (I may not want to use the stock stereo, so why should I pay for it?)
3. Are double-din HUs suitable for all cars? For example, does the Swift dashboard allow this? If not, is there an accepted approach to resolving this problem?

4. The screens that go behind the headrests:
  • Are these ready-to-buy headrests, with the back hollowed?
  • If not, who does the upholstering for this?
  • Where do the wires go into these?
  • Can the headrest be raised and lowered after this is installed?
  • I checked out on eBay and Sony website, and the price range per screen seems to be Rs 7,000 to 10,000. Can anyone confirm this?
5. In general, in a car as small as the Swift:
  • Is the headrest screen recommended? Or the single-screen unit that goes up on the roof near the rear-view mirror?
  • Any general thoughts? Doesn’t this block the rear-view mirror?
6. If I am looking for video output:
  • How many video-outs does a normal unit have? Or is it different from unit to unit?
  • Is there a signal amplifier available like the amps we have for audio?
7. Is it recommended to couple a GPS and map device and an HU? Anyone with experience in using one of these units?

Please help … I promise to come up with more questions as son as you answer these!

Thanks!
Old 15th April 2010, 17:43   #2
BHPian

* Swifts steering remote is quite good, unfortunately, even I havent been able to find a worthwhile solution to hookup swift steering remote a third party speakers.

As for the OEM speakers,
well, they are not that great. If you listen to anything with heavy instrumentals or lots of energy, the music becomes "Fuzzy"

A month after taking the car, Me and my wifey (who is not so much into music) decided that we need to get it changed.

Since I didn't want to change the head unit ( A Nippon unit, Integrates beautifully with swift dash). we went in for the following :

Sony XPlod AMP XM-ZR6042 (wanted JBL, but only this one had the High level input, since the car has only one pair of RCA).

JBL GTO 947 Limited as the rear fill
JBL GT5-207 for the front.

And it made a huge difference in the audio!

So my suggestion is, get the car in stock condition, and then take stock of the situation and make your call. That way, in case u r selling ur car, u can do with most of the original stuff intact..
Old 16th April 2010, 11:11   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenParadox View Post
Friends,

These are some queries that have been in my head for quite some time now. Can anyone help?

1. The audio and call controls on steering wheels:
  • If I change my HU to an aftermarket afterthought, will the steering control buttons still work?
  • I searched around, and saw some vague references to adapters that can connect the steering controls to the new HU … is this for real? And available freely?
  • Do steering controls have wires? Or do they work by wireless signals?
the steering controls work subject to compatibility with head units/adapters. u need to check if yr HU is compatible. if it is, there are extra wires from the head unit that can be connected to OE wires through which the steering controls are activated. OE steering controls are wired.

Quote:
2. In case of the Swift ZXi, the car comes with a built-in stereo and four speakers (according to Maruti website).
  • Can someone advise me if this is any good? What make and model are the HU and speakers?
  • While buying a new car, before taking delivery, is it possible to reject the stock stereo and speakers and get the vehicle’s price reduced? (I may not want to use the stock stereo, so why should I pay for it?)
not good compared to aftermarket branded HUs. dealers won't give you any price for it. find somebody who might be interested in basic setup with no intention to upgrade. that person might offer some value for yr stock HU and speakers. or keep it, and fix it back at the time of resale.

Quote:
3. Are double-din HUs suitable for all cars? For example, does the Swift dashboard allow this? If not, is there an accepted approach to resolving this problem?
most cars except santro now come with 2-din provision. yes, the swift has it too.

Quote:
4. The screens that go behind the headrests:
  • Are these ready-to-buy headrests, with the back hollowed?
  • If not, who does the upholstering for this?
  • Where do the wires go into these?
  • Can the headrest be raised and lowered after this is installed?
  • I checked out on eBay and Sony website, and the price range per screen seems to be Rs 7,000 to 10,000. Can anyone confirm this?
yeah, you get both. ready to buy full headrests, as well as only screens. upholstering done by dealer who instals. headrest can be raised and lowered. prices of web are on higher side.
Old 17th April 2010, 15:42   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by allajunaki View Post
* Swifts steering remote is quite good, unfortunately, even I havent been able to find a worthwhile solution to hookup swift steering remote a third party speakers.
So my suggestion is, get the car in stock condition, and then take stock of the situation and make your call. That way, in case u r selling ur car, u can do with most of the original stuff intact..
Thank you, allajunaki. That is very useful.

Also, it appears those adapters are available … I have just been PM-ed by a seller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by montyguru View Post
… most cars except santro now come with 2-din provision. yes, the swift has it too.

Thank you, montyguru. However, I have a further query: this here is an image from CarDekho.com, of the Swift ZXi dash.

Name:  112.JPG
Views: 2588
Size:  190.5 KB

To me, the dash looks smooth and very-built in. There does not even seem to be the option to put in a single-din HU!

But, everyone is doing it, so:
  1. I am missing something here; OR
  2. That panel has to be removed to make the fitments
If the latter, does the new HU-fitted and finished dash have the same smooth looks?
  • Can anyone help by posting a picture of a finished dash?
And now, the questions that remain:

1. In case of the Swift ZXi, the car comes with a built-in stereo and four speakers (according to Maruti website).
  • What make and model are the HU and speakers?
2. The screens that go behind the headrests:
  • Where do the wires go into these? (Along the steel rods that run into the main seat?)
3. In general, in a car as small as the Swift:
  • Is the headrest screen recommended? Or the single-screen unit that goes up on the roof near the rear-view mirror?
  • Any general thoughts? Doesn’t this block the rear-view mirror?
4. If I am looking for video output:
  • How many video-outs does a normal unit have? Or is it different from unit to unit?
  • Is there a signal amplifier available like the amps we have for audio?
6. Is it recommended to couple a GPS and map device and an HU? Anyone with experience in using one of these units?

Any help will be greatly appreciated…
Old 18th April 2010, 14:10   #5
Senior - BHPian

The people who upgrade the Stock HU on a Swift ZXI or a Dezire, fit a Dash kit to fit an after market player, This kit is specific for Swift and looks just like the stock centre console which comes in the swifts without OEM Audio.
Honestly the Swift OEM player's speaker output is one of the most rough sounding, however a RC out at the back connected with an amp does make it sound a lot lot better.

Steering controls on most cars can be integrated to After market players. We have even integrated all functions on a i20 steering to an after market player in some installs.

The player in a Swift ZXI is a Nippon, the speakers may also be Nippon.
Headrest monitors is the cleanest option as long as one is ready for the expense, the most elegant headrest monitor with good video quality is by Sony.
A compact 7" Roof mount monitor will not obstruct the rear view mirror as long as it is mounted properly, but it can be a distraction for the driver during night driving.
Normally a DVD Head Unit has one video out, but that can be hooked up to multiple screens using RC cable splitters.
GPS can be coupled with a Car Audio setup just for the sound to be louder, I have not seen any Map My India GPS systems with Video outs.
Old 18th April 2010, 15:12   #6
BHPian

I also have a question. Please suggest some good HU with the option to play movie (.avi) from the USB directly so that I will play movie download from net directly in my car.
Old 20th April 2010, 16:13   #7
BHPian

Thank you, blueraven. I think most of my initial queries now strand clarified.

Here are...
A. Some new ones:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueraven316 View Post
We have even integrated all functions on a i20 steering to an after market player in some installs.
You said “even integrated” … does this indicate that Hyundai cars’ (or the i20 in particular) are difficult to work with? Or is it merely that you are referring to the newness of the car in the market?

Quote:
Headrest monitors is the cleanest option as long as one is ready for the expense, the most elegant headrest monitor with good video quality is by Sony.
I see that you are quite an expert in this domain, and well-known for these installations in Bangalore. Can you help by giving me a list of such monitors and their prices? And than, finally, your recommendation?

B. The questions that remain:

1. The screens that go behind the headrests:
  • Where do the wires go into these? (Along the steel rods that run into the main seat?)
2. Is it recommended to couple a GPS and map device and an HU? Anyone with experience in using one of these units?
Thank you, everyone...
Old 20th April 2010, 17:22   #8
BHPian

Quote:
The people who upgrade the Stock HU on a Swift ZXI or a Dezire, fit a Dash kit to fit an after market player, This kit is specific for Swift and looks just like the stock centre console which comes in the swifts without OEM Audio.
Honestly the Swift OEM player's speaker output is one of the most rough sounding, however a RC out at the back connected with an amp does make it sound a lot lot better.

Steering controls on most cars can be integrated to After market players. We have even integrated all functions on a i20 steering to an after market player in some installs.
Hi there,
Now that you caught my fancy, Im a bit keen in knowing the following,
so as you have quoted, we can hook up RCA from the OEM player. Do you think hooking up a Y Adapter will incur loss in signal output?
The only reason why I did not go for a JBL amp was due to the fact that the dealer did not recommend Y-Adapter on RCA (and SONY featured a high level input). But I still have the RCA lines drawn, if needed, I can remove the high level and hookup the RCA's.

Secondly, how hard will it be to integrate the Swift's Steering remote onto a pioneer HU? You said about remapping i20's controls, was that done on a pioneer HU?
Controls are pretty basic, Vol +/-, Track +/-, Mute and Mode.

Im tempted to chuck oem, though it looks neat, its way too basic for my taste ( I miss the bucket loads of audio tweaking options on pioneer HU's).
Just waiting for the CD Drive to fail (eventually) and then throw it out..
Old 20th April 2010, 18:44   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Which RCA out / HLA are you using ?

Quote:
I would like to know how that's done...

Most Viewed