Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2010, 23:05   #1
BHPian

Front 6.5" Heavy speaker installation

Hi,

I am replacing my front alpine component with a DDW6.5 midbass speakers. Trouble is that they are too heavy as compared to my old alpines...so door install looks difficult.

I tried doing the kick panel at the feet...but accent does not have too much of space there.

How would a fiberglass kick panel do? Plz suggest other ways of installing the fronts.
Old 14th April 2010, 01:50   #2
Senior - BHPian

You may be looking at the weight problem empirically. Are you sure of the mounting dimensions, e.g. whether that location can take a 6.5" (dia, depth)? The magnet weight is I think ~840g. (28oz.), so the total weight of one speaker is ~1.5-1.7Kg. Nothing unusually heavy!

Supporting the weight may not be that big an issue, especially if you are able to use an MDF spacer to distribute the load over a larger area than the point load of the original mounting. If the mounting location is on the FRP pad (as opposed the inner metal layer of the door), you can also lay a layer of FG around it on the inside of the pad to stiffen the pad and prevent buckling of the FRP by the bending moment due to the speaker weight. The FG will also damp the pad.

BTW, this is a mid-bass only. What about tweeters and XO?

Last edited by DerAlte : 14th April 2010 at 01:59.
Old 14th April 2010, 02:06   #3
BHPian

single speaker weighs 4.75 Kg. And its a 150 RMS speaker which would have 200 watts RMS fed to it...so i assume there would be a good amount to excursion too.

Tweeters....no tweeters with them. But already thinking of retaining the XO and tweeter of alpine.
Old 14th April 2010, 03:09   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_sound View Post
single speaker weighs 4.75 Kg.
...no tweeters with them. But already thinking of retaining the XO and tweeter of alpine.
Please check the data on DD website. The shipping weight is 11lb or 4.75Kg. That includes TWO speakers, whatever packing is used in the box for shipping the speakers safely, and the cardboard box.

Retaining the Alpine XO and tweeters? Not a good idea. May be completely out of character of either the tweeter or the mid-bass. No reason why it will not work electrically, but will not integrate well - since the design criteria of Alpine will not match that of DD.
Old 14th April 2010, 11:54   #5
Senior - BHPian

What HU are you running AMIT ? Can it do active setup. Also this midbass is a like a mini subwoofer it will not be able to running in 2-3khz range and above. You will be needing some thing here. I would suggest to make small enclousres ported and put them below the front seat. This will improve the overall mid bass effect.

Last edited by low_bass_makker : 14th April 2010 at 11:58.
Old 14th April 2010, 11:57   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
But already thinking of retaining the XO and tweeter of alpine.
you want to mate an Alpine tweeter and XO (HP anf LP) with the DD woofer?

why? What happened to the Alpine woofer (that matches with the tweeter)?
Old 14th April 2010, 15:58   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Please check the data on DD website. The shipping weight is 11lb or 4.75Kg. That includes TWO speakers, whatever packing is used in the box for shipping the speakers safely, and the cardboard box.

Thats the weight of single speaker. These speakers are not sold in an pair. As LBM rightly pointed out, its like a mini subwoofer. Infact it can be used as a mini-subwoofer OR midbass.

Had to order 2 of these to make a pair..so total shipping weight was 22lbs.

I was just trying to place a guess on using the alpine tweeters. Since these DD speakers dont come with a cross-over...any suggestion on pairing a tweeter with them.

LBM, i am playing a poineer 7750 HU currently

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
What HU are you running AMIT ? Can it do active setup. Also this midbass is a like a mini subwoofer it will not be able to running in 2-3khz range and above. You will be needing some thing here. I would suggest to make small enclousres ported and put them below the front seat. This will improve the overall mid bass effect.
Hmm... your suggestion seems good. Let me get back after measuring the space.

I was also thinking of doing a fierglass setup on the door. Since its gonna be sealed, what do you suggest? Under the seat(poted) or fiber glass?

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
you want to mate an Alpine tweeter and XO (HP anf LP) with the DD woofer?

why? What happened to the Alpine woofer (that matches with the tweeter)?
Due to dust the apline woofers are not working good.

Last edited by Jaggu : 14th April 2010 at 21:32. Reason: Back to back posts, use Multi Quote (Quote +) instead. Thanks
Old 14th April 2010, 16:48   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Under the seat(poted) or fiber glass?
if you are going to use them to as high as 2kHz i would prefer door mounted to under the seat.
Old 14th April 2010, 22:04   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
if you are going to use them to as high as 2kHz i would prefer door mounted to under the seat.
Navin Ji no fun using them to such hi freq. I think they will be good in 70-80 hz to max I would go 250 or 300 Hz max. Above that I would put a good midrange.
Old 14th April 2010, 23:41   #10
Senior - BHPian

In addition to all the great suggestion, I'd like just like to add, DDW6.5 will work great as dedicated midbass in a 10L sealed enclosure crossed from 40hz to upto 600hz. Anything beyond that it would be better to use the dedicated midrange driver. You could get a 2-3" dome midrange that could be added to the Alpine xover along with it's tweeter. Something like the Dayton dome midrange driver Parts-Express.com: Dayton DC50F-8 2" Dome Midrange | midrange dc50f-8 dome midrange dayton audio dayton loudspeaker dayton DayAudiTweetWoofMid050109
DD midbass could be mounted in doors with fiberglass enclosure probably at the bottom of the door. But it might restrict the window to roll down completely. If you are able to fabricate the FG kickpanel nothing like it. Get it anywhere close to minimum 8L and they can play down from 30-40hz efficiently. Using the complete door to act as sealed enclosure might not be the best way to go for, you might have to restrict them to 40-50hz along with the power. It might act like an IB setup in doors.
Old 15th April 2010, 21:21   #11
BHPian

Quote:
I would suggest to make small enclousres ported and put them below the front seat. This will improve the overall mid bass effect.
Good news, the speaker itself does not go under the front seat

Alpine managed to slide in, but this on refuses to even enter. So proted box under seat goes out of question.

Like LBM said, would have loved to do a ported enclosure.....but now what? Any more ideas gurus?
Old 15th April 2010, 21:54   #12
Senior - BHPian

Amit the under side of accent front is quite big. I had install two caps under one seat and pioneer 944 4 channel amp on the other side. I would say that you remove the seat and then check for space. If possible you can raise the seat a inch or half above so that you can put them under the front seat.
Old 15th April 2010, 23:13   #13
BHPian

Quote:
I would say that you remove the seat and then check for space. If possible you can raise the seat a inch or half above so that you can put them under the front seat.
Have checked it properly, but no success. I just need something like 1"-1.5" more to place the box under the seat. Let me see if that can be done.

Last possibility is doing a fiber glass on the door. Any reviews on the sound quality inside FB?

Its testing patience to the limit!!! Almost more than a week with the new gear and the stuff is still waiting to go inside the car.
Have been waiting for this for the last 4-5 months
Old 16th April 2010, 10:12   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
70-80 hz to max I would go 250 or 300 Hz max.
I would suggest 60-300Hz. You can get many a dome mid that will go as low as 300Hz. LPG makes a rather good 3" one that is not expensive.

Quote:
Have been waiting for this for the last 4-5 months
You will have to go 3 way in the door/OVRM pods. Actually it is not that bad alteast speaker's phase alignment will be relatively easier to do.
Old 16th April 2010, 12:13   #15
BHPian

you can check out hiquphon OW series tweeters. have heard good things about them from aman, he is looking for some other people too as it will save shipping cost fr denmark.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks