Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th April 2010, 16:39   #16
Senior - BHPian

Bit one is suppose to have issues with output, the ones's that are selling are manufactured in 2008 that are having the issues.

RF had some issues with the hiss, but has been rectified in the ones manufactured since 2009. In my opinion is the better option and makes it VFM.

Alpines are a bit difficult to tune and the auto Eq & TA works better in Active.

MS8 can 3way+sub+center channel. Feature wise its more loaded compared to others. Comes with the mic in shape of headphones that has to be worn like one and gives more precise auto tuning than the others. Its been listed on JBL online store for about 800$ and with features it has along with logic7 its worth spending that kinda money.
Old 19th April 2010, 16:53   #17
BHPian

The MS8 sure has some great features and has everything one can ask for. lets hope it is not burdened with version 1 niggles and bugs like so many new gizmo launches these days.That could sure make it a bit of a let down. Hope Sam's running it through its paces.

Last edited by pranava999 : 19th April 2010 at 17:02.
Old 19th April 2010, 20:35   #18
BHPian

@ Pranav: Yes Ive read the "statuory warning" before posting this thread ..!

I do not have any idea about the Jetta speaker sizes.But I can find out and post it once I get the car. Im definitely looking at stock speaker sizes in their factory locations. Would really want to mess around with any other options, though Im looking at having a center channel if I decide to go with the MS8. Would that require mods to the cars dash?
Old 20th April 2010, 09:53   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranava999 View Post
Hope Sam's running it through its paces.
It is Andy Wehmeyer who has been in charge of this project. Sam Kapasi represents Sahil Intl. which is the Harman Group's distributor for India (amongst other products). Granted Sam is a one man marketing machine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashanth_benz View Post
I do not have any idea about the Jetta speaker sizes.
Would really want to mess around with any other options, though Im looking at having a center channel if I decide to go with the MS8. Would that require mods to the cars dash?
The Jetta I drove did not have a center channel speaker pod so yes you will have to mod the dash. From what I could tell (the car I drove had a stock system) the front speakers looked like 6" 2 way.
Old 20th April 2010, 18:13   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
It is Andy Wehmeyer who has been in charge of this project. Sam Kapasi represents Sahil Intl. which is the Harman Group's distributor for India (amongst other products). Granted Sam is a one man marketing machine.
True, I have been catching up with Andy's posts, you know where and, maybe Sam could offer a 'group buy' here for us poor souls .

I presumed that the Nano is with Sahil Intl and guessed that Sam could be enjoying it in the guise of testing it and giving feedback on post production niggles . Kidding.

Was going through it's manual and does seem like one hellava product. Almost every bell and whistle one can ask for, including future firmware upgrades!!!

@ Prashanth - Guess we have digressed enough on the MS8 and apologies Prashanth. Any speaker brands short-listed? Do consider the Hertz as well.

@ NAvin - Wouldn't the centre channel be more for video use or for audio recorded for a 5.1 channel set-up?

Last edited by pranava999 : 20th April 2010 at 18:25.
Old 20th April 2010, 23:02   #21
BHPian

There seem to be too many brands of speakers around for me to decide.. Ive seen the alpine F1 status units and also Audison speakers..I dont really know too much about other brands. Do shortlist some of the best available units around. I will also try reading up on speakers online.

PS: As for the amps Im looking at the Audions LRX series. Any other recommendations? and since ive decided on using the JBL MS8 should I get a seperate amp to power the speakers or can I use the amp facility of the MS8 to power the speakers?
Old 21st April 2010, 10:42   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranava999 View Post
maybe Sam could offer a 'group buy' here for us poor souls .

@ NAvin - Wouldn't the centre channel be more for video use or for audio recorded for a 5.1 channel set-up?
I dont know if the MS8 wil be offered to Indians (officially) and when but dont hold your breath.

Yes the center channels is more for video fans and hence I was looking for a MS5 (4 channels + sub) in lieu of the MS 8 (7 channels + sub).

Quote:
Do shortlist some of the best available units around. I will also try reading up on speakers online.

PS: As for the amps Im looking at the Audions LRX series. Any other recommendations? and since ive decided on using the JBL MS8 should I get a seperate amp to power the speakers or can I use the amp facility of the MS8 to power the speakers?
Alpine F1 are quite good. The drivers are/were made by ScanSpeak. I dont know if they still are.

6" components:
DLS Ultimate 6, Infinity Perfect 6, Focal Utopia, Boston Pro 6, Rainbow CS260/265/275, JBL Gti 660, JL 650...etc.

Amps:
Audison VRx series (the Lrx 6.9 is a one box solution), JL (I like the 900/5 as a one box solution), DLS (again the A7 is a one box solution), etc...
Old 21st April 2010, 11:21   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

MS8 will give the flexibility of processing power of every channel including center where xover points are concerned. Bandlimiting the center channel playing from 250hz at 12db to 3.15hz at 12db, with the GAIN set at the right level, could result in better imaging for both the driver and the passenger. The tuning could be little time consuming but the results are well worth it. MS8 could do possibly everything one can think of, even blending the rear speakers by bandlimiting it adding more space and width to the front stage.

The 2 audison LRX amps that could be well worth it are Lrx5.1k and 6.9k, with the former being more powerful with Class A, AB, D amp topology that's unique. The other amp if you planning to get from US, you could consider Zapco, DLS, Arc Audio. They have slightly warm sound to it.
Old 26th April 2010, 23:16   #24
BHPian

Any updates prashanth?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks