Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2010, 23:08   #1
BHPian

ICE for Jetta

Hello all. Im getting the new Jetta 2.0 in a few days time. I was thinking of getting my car ICE'd. I do not plan on changing the head unit. Im thinking of changing the speakers alone. The factory system has 10 speakers. Im definitely no pro when it comes to audio systems but I aint no noob either. Its been a while since I followed car entertainment systems and hence Im pretty clueless.

As I said above Im ready to fix everything else except the main HU. My budget is about 1-1.5 lakhs for the speakers, amps,crossovers ,processors etc. Im looking for a system that can cover a wide range of music. Just for example I listen to everything from carpenters to metallica :P .. I would like professional quality within my budget. All help will be appreciated. All you ICE guru's out there kindly help me out. Thank you!!
Old 18th April 2010, 10:32   #2
BHPian

Great! That's a pretty inviting budget for the ICErs in here. Let the suggestions flow thick and thin, and be forewarned, for all you know you may have to up the budget by the time we are done recommending here

So are you looking at a 10 speaker set-up as well ? I am assuming you have 6 speakers in front (3 way) and 4 in the rear (2 way)
Old 18th April 2010, 15:18   #3
BHPian

Im not really looking at a set number of speakers..Id be as happy with a 6 speaker setup as with a 10 as long as the quality of sound is top notch.

And I forgot to mention. I do not want any display units at this point of time. I will not be watching any movies in the car.

Ive spotted a slightly used Bang and olufsen sound system that was originally designed for the Audi A4. Its a 14 speaker unit. It consists of 14 speakers and and amp all designed by B&O . Will I be able to fit this in my car and pair it with the factory HU?
Old 18th April 2010, 16:43   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashanth_benz View Post
Ive spotted a slightly used Bang and olufsen sound system that was originally designed for the Audi A4. Its a 14 speaker unit. It consists of 14 speakers and and amp all designed by B&O . Will I be able to fit this in my car and pair it with the factory HU?
Am not sure about it. Never seen the system nor am I an installer. I am sure the gurus in here will soon help you out. My personal opinion would be to look at other options as well and look at mixing and matching.

Try and break up your budget for the different parts of the system - Processor, Amplifiers, Components, Subwoofer
Old 18th April 2010, 17:29   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
If it is the B&O system I have seen on the Audi A6/A8 then it wont fit. The tweetes are pop up dash speakers and need to be powered by a motor (which needs space in the dash).

However can you post a pic or two so we can be sure we are tlaking fo the same system.
Old 18th April 2010, 17:39   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
As I said above Im ready to fix everything else except the main HU. My budget is about 1-1.5 lakhs for the speakers, amps,crossovers ,processors etc. Im looking for a system that can cover a wide range of music. Just for example I listen to everything from carpenters to metallica :P .. I would like professional quality within my budget. All help will be appreciated. All you ICE guru's out there kindly help me out. Thank you!!
1. Most of the better HUs are 1 DIN and the Jetta dash will look empty with a 1 DIN . The option you have is to retain the OEM HU and use an Alpine 650 to get the TA and EQ (although the ALpine is rather limited). JBL's MS8 is far too expensive (over Rs. 50K) for this install. GTO put a Pio 2 DIN in his CIvic lately (see show off section) but the TA facilties are limited (for GTO's need they are adequate for my needs even the Alpine 650 leaves me wanting).

2. keeping everything below 1.5L....
HU or OEM HU processor: 30K
2 Amps (1 4ch and 1 mono block): 35K
12" Sub in custom fiberlgass box: 25K
Front and rear speakers: 30K
wires and damping: 10K
fiberglass and install work: 10K
Old 18th April 2010, 22:24   #7
BHPian

The B&O system that I was talkin about was this one

Team-BHP Classifieds - Audi A4/A5 Bang & Olufsen Audio System - Powered by PhotoPost Classifieds

@Navin: thanks for the ideas..your budget split is perfect.
Im definitely not looking at removing the HU. I was wondering if there were external processors that can be added to the factory HU to compliment its function..something like an AV amp in a home theater system. Is the JBL MS8 something like that..?

Also I will be travelling to the states in a short while.So I can pick up stuff from there if thats going to save me some chump change.
Old 19th April 2010, 00:05   #8
Senior - BHPian

The stock HU will give not produce the results even if you put the best of speakers and amps. Stock HU are designed and Eq'd in such a way that they give good results with the OE speakers. But, are not meant for audiophile. The Fabia, Laura, Jetta HU's are same in size and sound but have different features.
When I looked at upgrading the speakers in Fabia the HU din't provide line output. So had to use a Low to Hi level converter going into the EQ so that can process the sound as I wanted and also provided the Sub control.

The best you could do is to get a sound processor from Alpine, Rockford fosgate or the upcoming JBL MS-8 in june (that's the one I would choose).
Change the Speakers, add a 4 channel amp and mono and finally add a sub.
There are many brands that are available with High ends such Morel, Dynaudio that can be procured easily for speakers. There are no limitation to what one can get. But, listen to some speakers from different make before you decide.
Old 19th April 2010, 00:12   #9
BHPian

Some processors you could consider - Alpine PXE H660(the latest model) , Audison Bit One, RF 3 sixty.2 . DO read up a few reviews on them before you decide.

Last edited by pranava999 : 19th April 2010 at 00:15.
Old 19th April 2010, 10:06   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The B&O system that I was talkin about was this one

Is the JBL MS8 something like that..?
That's a 3 way+sub. Your Jetta doors would require quite a bit of modifcation to install that system. Also I doubt the tweeter pods can be used on the Jetta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranava999 View Post
Some processors you could consider - Alpine PXE H660(the latest model) , Audison Bit One, RF 3 sixty.2 . DO read up a few reviews on them before you decide.
Under $500
Alpine - clean but limited settings. a bit of trcikery is required to force the alpine to work to your satisfaction.

RF 360.2 - has beend found to be hissy in some settings. In the one install I heard it was clean but other than the hiss it offes more control over settings than the 650.

Under $1000
Bit one - was reigning champ untill the MS-Late (oops MS-8) was released. Has some limitations but suppsed to ahve great SQ. I have not heard the Bit one.

MS-8. There are atlest 2 in India. One in a Tata Nano and I cannot disclose the location of the second - a big hairy man will put a supari out on me if I do.

I have not heard the MS-8 (Gunbir has) but the anticipation of this box has given it a lot of free press. I hope it lives up to the expectations. It includes a 6 ch. 20W Class D amp that can be used to drive tweeters and midranges and for low SPL requirements even the midbass but will not be adequate for a subwoofer. So other than adding a subwoofer amp this is a one box solution.

The MS8 offers a lot of stuff that is little use to a purist audiophile (Logic 7 for example). I hope to see a MS5 @ $500 to compete with the 650 and 360.2 soon.
Old 19th April 2010, 12:14   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Under $1000
Bit one - was reigning champ untill the MS-Late (oops MS-8) was released. Has some limitations but suppsed to ahve great SQ. I have not heard the Bit one.

MS-8. There are atlest 2 in India. One in a Tata Nano and I cannot disclose the location of the second - a big hairy man will put a supari out on me if I do.

I have not heard the MS-8 (Gunbir has) but the anticipation of this box has given it a lot of free press. I hope it lives up to the expectations. It includes a 6 ch. 20W Class D amp that can be used to drive tweeters and midranges and for low SPL requirements even the midbass but will not be adequate for a subwoofer. So other than adding a subwoofer amp this is a one box solution.

The MS8 offers a lot of stuff that is little use to a purist audiophile (Logic 7 for example). I hope to see a MS5 @ $500 to compete with the 650 and 360.2 soon.

Yes if you can wait till June you should definitely consider the MS8 and till then, make do with a simple High-low converter with an amp that will accept speaker level inputs.
Old 19th April 2010, 12:29   #12
BHPian

Ive read up about the MS-8 and it sure looks like a promising kit..I guess Il just have to wait .
Now that we've decided on the processor lets talk about the speakers. I was looking at alpine F1 status units. Even though they are pretty darn expensive..no harm in just looking wat say?
Old 19th April 2010, 13:04   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Now that we've decided on the processor lets talk about the speakers. I was looking at alpine F1 status units. Even though they are pretty darn expensive..no harm in just looking wat say?
Great to hear that we might soon have the first ms8 install on the forum.

About the speakers, are you looking at a 3 way set-up in front and stock speaker locations and stock speaker sizes?
Any idea what he stock speaker sizes are for the front and rear in the Jetta?

The F1 does look dreamy. Other brands you could consider are DLS, Dynaudio, Rainbow, Focal , Morel, CDT, etc

Last edited by pranava999 : 19th April 2010 at 13:11.
Old 19th April 2010, 13:37   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranava999 View Post
Great to hear that we might soon have the first ms8 install on the forum.
we already have atleast one - in a tata nano of all cars. there will soon be another. not mine. i'll let the owner of the car do the honours when they are ready.
Old 19th April 2010, 13:42   #15
BHPian

@NAVIN --- oops forgot about the JBL Nano, but never got to actually see pics of it or must have missed it. Eagerly waiting for the bhpian to do the honours...

BTW Prashanth ---hope you did read this before deciding to ask for recommendations
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ask-gurus/7684-statutory-warning-10-risks-know-before-entering-forum.html
especially Nos 5,6 and 10

Last edited by pranava999 : 19th April 2010 at 13:48.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks