Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2010, 16:41   #1
BHPian

Need advice on 4" components for esteem

Hi Guys,

Need some advice on getting components for the front of my car. Its and Esteem 2005 and I dont want to spoil the original look so I am looking for component speakers that will fit in the original space. Or what are my other options of fixing 6.5 inchers in the front? Dont want to cut the door pads!

Now coming to the brands and pricing. I will be looking at either of these brands. Would be great if you can let me know which ones come in 4 inches and which dont. Also what would be the pricing for the same.

1) DLS
2) JBL
3) Polk Momo
4) Hertz
5) Boston

As for my set-up I have a Pioneer HU - DEH - 3190UB which is pretty decent so wont be changing that. Also, this is a step by step upgrade so components first followed by better Co-axials at the rear (currently have stock Kenwood co-axials) and the Amps/ mono and Sub.

Please do let me know what you would suggest I do and which brand. Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Rishi
Old 20th April 2010, 18:41   #2
Senior - BHPian

Well there are not many (hardly any) options in 4". You can install the 6.5 components in kick panel if you don't want to cut the doors.
Old 20th April 2010, 19:01   #3
Senior - BHPian

As far as I know only two companies make 4 inch component speakers, one is illusion & the other is Kicker.

I dont know how Kicker sounds but I have used Illusion ones in my car & they were quite good for their size, there are more people on forum who have these speakers installed.

Having said that I would also like to add that a 6.5 inch will anyday sound better than a 4 inch one but to install a 6.5 inch comp you need to find a good installer who can install the bigger speaker aesthetically.

Check out these threads

Link 1

Link 2
Old 21st April 2010, 09:41   #4
BHPian

Thanks guys. I think I will take it to Blueraven (EVO) and see what can be done. Why I was looking for 4 inchers is cos I dont want to cut the pads. Lets see where else it can be put in. Else will have to cut the pads I guess.
Old 21st April 2010, 10:45   #5
BHPian

4" components are difficult now a days. I tried with Blueraven , and he suggested me to go ahead with 6.5". Anyway I am yet to decide on the same.

Please post in your experience after the meet.
Old 21st April 2010, 11:04   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelightening View Post
4" components are difficult now a days. I tried with Blueraven , and he suggested me to go ahead with 6.5". Anyway I am yet to decide on the same.

Please post in your experience after the meet.
Yup will do. Might take sometime though since I will be travelling quite a bit on work for the next couple of weeks. Let me try to catch up with him today or tomorrow.
Old 22nd April 2010, 15:41   #7
BHPian

if they are going in stock place on dash, you can go for a 4" inch co-ax with better power handling.

i'm not aware of prices, but there's some cars done at driven with 4" rainbow or id n sub in rear. they given decent output, though a 6.5" is ideal.. i've found this to be a better alternative than going for 4" component

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarmarishi View Post
Hi Guys,

Need some advice on getting components for the front of my car. Its and Esteem 2005 and I dont want to spoil the original look so I am looking for component speakers that will fit in the original space. Or what are my other options of fixing 6.5 inchers in the front? Dont want to cut the door pads!

Now coming to the brands and pricing. I will be looking at either of these brands. Would be great if you can let me know which ones come in 4 inches and which dont. Also what would be the pricing for the same.

1) DLS
2) JBL
3) Polk Momo
4) Hertz
5) Boston

As for my set-up I have a Pioneer HU - DEH - 3190UB which is pretty decent so wont be changing that. Also, this is a step by step upgrade so components first followed by better Co-axials at the rear (currently have stock Kenwood co-axials) and the Amps/ mono and Sub.

Please do let me know what you would suggest I do and which brand. Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Rishi
Old 22nd April 2010, 20:49   #8
BHPian

Went and met up with blueraven today.. finally decided to fix 6.5 inch components from Boston Acoutics on the pads. Will get them on tomorrow. Have told him that its a step by step upgrade plus he said the co-axials from Kenwood at the back are good enough for now. They sound quite good actually. So rest will be done later (putting in the sub and better co-axials).

The lightening: He mentioned that 4 inche components from Kicker are available. If you are interested, give him a call. Very hard to come by I believe.

Last edited by sarmarishi : 22nd April 2010 at 20:51.
Old 22nd April 2010, 23:06   #9
BHPian

Glad to see that you have upgraded to 6.5" components. By the way, Can you please advice us the reason for an upgrade from 4" to 6.5". I am also in a dilemma.

Regarding Kicker 4" components, Sure, I will contact him tomorrow. Feel its a great buy.
Old 22nd April 2010, 23:30   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelightening View Post
Glad to see that you have upgraded to 6.5" components. By the way, Can you please advice us the reason for an upgrade from 4" to 6.5". I am also in a dilemma.

Regarding Kicker 4" components, Sure, I will contact him tomorrow. Feel its a great buy.
Thats because I am not installing a sub right now, so need the extra bass till then and the 4" cant produce enough

Last edited by sarmarishi : 22nd April 2010 at 23:40.
Old 23rd April 2010, 09:14   #11
BHPian

Going for the install in about 2 hours but I am throughly confused between Boston Acoustics and Hifonics. Someone please let me know which is better. As of now I am thinking Boston until someone tells me Hifonics is significantly better. Looking forward to hearing from you soon (next 2 hours!!!)
Old 23rd April 2010, 09:36   #12
BHPian

I would stick with BA here.
Haven't heard much about Hifonics (on this forum or outside) to choose them over the BA.

If it were comparision against say JBL or Polk or DLS, its a different story.
Old 23rd April 2010, 21:36   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarmarishi View Post
Thats because I am not installing a sub right now, so need the extra bass till then and the 4" cant produce enough
To be frank, they are not going to produce bass significant enough to be compared to a setup with a sub, not even close. I would not suggest anyone to install 6.5" components in an Esteem/Wagon R/Santro etc simply because they need cutting of door pads and calls for needless clumsiness. With 4" components like Illusion Electra 4.1, I don't think it's really required. IMO.
Old 23rd April 2010, 22:42   #14
BHPian

BA and Hifonics, I will stick on to BA

Last edited by thelightening : 23rd April 2010 at 22:44.
Old 23rd April 2010, 23:42   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksterraghu View Post
To be frank, they are not going to produce bass significant enough to be compared to a setup with a sub, not even close. I would not suggest anyone to install 6.5" components in an Esteem/Wagon R/Santro etc simply because they need cutting of door pads and calls for needless clumsiness. With 4" components like Illusion Electra 4.1, I don't think it's really required. IMO.

Hold on till I upload the snaps. You will be amazed at the work done by EVO. Just brilliant! I was speechless..

Ok guys... here is what I installed finally:

1) Pioneer HU (existing)
2) Boston Acoustics S60 (6.5") components in the front
3) Hifonics ZXi 63 Coaxial speakers at the back
4) Kicker DS200.4 4 channel amp
5) Cadence power wire
6) Scosche e2ERCA17 twisted hex RCA interconnects

Took the whole day for the install as the most difficult part was the fabrication of the MDF rings for the front. My friends were as floored by the outcome as I was. Brilliant work from EVO Bangalore & Blueraven. I think they are easily the best in town.

Next installs after sometime
1) Eclipse monoblock amp
2) Sub

SOUND IS JUST BRILLIANT RIGHT NOW

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks