Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2005, 17:15   #121
Senior - BHPian

wow, another sam fan. viper watchout :lol
Old 26th October 2005, 17:29   #122
Distinguished - BHPian

Oh God! Oh God! Oh God! Oh God!lol

Abhi mereko Paresh Rawal with tangerine hair bana diya....

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 26th October 2005 at 17:31.
Old 26th October 2005, 17:39   #123
Team-BHP Support

This is turning into a saas bahu type soap here! I always thought there were chat rooms for things like this...
Old 26th October 2005, 17:45   #124
Distinguished - BHPian

RT is absolutely right boys. Please forget about downloading that silly video and focus on audio lol
Old 26th October 2005, 17:46   #125
Team-BHP Support

Video...what video?? Where do I dl it from?
Old 26th October 2005, 18:05   #126
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech
Video...what video?? Where do I dl it from?
haha..u havent seen it..no wonder those saas bahu type comments..check out post number 83 on this thread RT (read sams wave to the nation)..
Old 27th October 2005, 00:34   #127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas
wow, another sam fan. viper watchout :lol
WTF?! Why am I involved in this?
Old 27th October 2005, 00:40   #128
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r
WTF?! Why am I involved in this?
answer to this my freind lies in the two signatures(read urs and mine) !!!!
Old 27th October 2005, 07:21   #129
BHPian

hahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi
RT is absolutely right boys. Please forget about downloading that silly video and focus on audio lol

Yeah sam..we shud focus on audio..actually was listening to the audio from the video that i downloaded..i mean the " how to do a KBC wave..from the audio guru" and the audio wasnt that clear.

My questions are

1) How do i filter that unwanted noise in the background and hear ur advice only.

2) U think my ear fones arent gud enuff or i need to reduce the high and low freq and increase the lower mids to hear it more clearly..

Advice me sam..pls

On a serious note, this question is for you and Navin. Out here in Tokyo, lot of people are into Bose speakers. Do you think they are high quality speakers. I find them in a lot restaurants /office space/ public places and all my colleagues buy these overpriced ones under the pretext that these are the best in the business.

I think they are more like More Hype+Overpriced+Not value for money+ Decent quality.

Is it true that the crossovers in Bose speakers discard some frequencies ( maybe 200 to 400 Hz or something) and that gives them a distinct appeal/sound. N

I do have pair of satellite speakers speakers+ base module back home. They are from Pro-fx( BPL brand) and they do sound a bit diff from the regular 3 way speakers.

Your inputs pls.

Hurry Home

Last edited by muni : 27th October 2005 at 07:23.
Old 27th October 2005, 08:43   #130
BHPian

Muni,
I'm no expert. Here is what I found about Bose systems for car audio on "The Car Stereo Cookbook".

They use external amps with differential signals between the HU and amps for noise immunity. The differential outputs of the HU provide 2 equal but opposite versions of the music signal (an inverted version and a noninverted version). At the differential inputs of the amplifier, the 2 versions of the signal are subtracted. Since any externally induced noise presumably affects both versions of the signal the same, subtraction causes cancellation of the noise. Because one of the music signals was inverted, subtraction also results in a music signal that is twice the original signal.

The differential outputs of the HU have a DC offset to eliminate the need for coupling capacitors in the head unit and amplifiers. DC offset is also used in Bose systems to "wake up" the amplifiers.

Bose systems often incorporate speakers with impedances much less than the usual 4 ohms (0.4 ohms is common!). This allows the Bose amplifiers to achieve much higher power levels without having to incorporate expensive DC-to-DC converters to provide a higher supply voltage.

I did not understand a word of what that meant!! The audio gurus in the forum would know.

All I know is that the Bose system in my Maxima kicks ass! The voices are crystal clear when I am listening to talk radio and the bass blurs the images on my rearview mirror when I listen to hip hop, rap and rock.

Last edited by Zensible : 27th October 2005 at 08:45.
Old 27th October 2005, 10:15   #131
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by muni
Yeah sam..we shud focus on audio..actually was listening to the audio from the video that i downloaded..i mean the " how to do a KBC wave..from the audio guru" and the audio wasnt that clear.
the best way to clean up sound is to use software like Sound Forge. you are able to then see the noise and clean it up. how oyu clean depends on the type of noise.

as far as Bose goes they have a very powerful marketing machine. beyond that som of their products have excellent facilites (not to be confused with specifications) that make them acceptable by many.

1. their pro sound speakers were the first truly portable speakers that one could set up in 5-10 minutes. small bands and travelling musicians loved it. I am talking about their 802 and 402.

2. their collaboration with GM and Delco (now defunct) was the amongst the first to bring reasonable quality OEM audio in a car. Becker for example had a long stadning agreement with Benz but it was hardly a collaboration.

3. Dr. Bose is a great beliver in psychoacoustics. This belief led to the developemnt of the Acoustimass and Waveguide product range. It was doubly fortunatel for Bose the Home Theater came along at the same time. Husbands who wanted Home Theater compromised and got Bose systems as wives would allow 5 small speakers but 5 large ones were out of the question.

The rest of the diffsued sound that came from the 901 etc.. was pure gobbletygook in my opinion. I have heard the 301, 501, 701 and 901 at length in different avatars and at their price rangeand size there are many speakers that can out perform them in my opinion.

While most of us believe in psychoacoustics, we also believe that the present measuring techniques (incl. FFT and waterfall plots) are unable to fully quantify the differences between good sounding components and bad sounding components.

That the ear can be tricked we all believe in; it the nature of the trick where many "audiophiles" disagree with Bose Corp's findings/beliefs.

Amongst Bose Corp's belives is that the ear will not miss some frequencies if others in the range are present. This means that they can have a speaker that only producces sound between 40 and 70Hz for the bass, 200 and 500Hz for the lower mids, 2k to 4K for the upper mids, and some tizzy stuff above 10k and th ear will not notice this. Balderdash I say! Yes given the size of their Acoustimass subs and sats most speakers would have the same limitations but that does not mean the ear has been tricked.

Bose Corp likes to hide behind technical jargon. Some of it sounds like it came out of a B grade Sci-Fi movie.

Last edited by navin : 27th October 2005 at 10:21.
Old 27th October 2005, 10:24   #132
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zensible
They use external amps with differential signals between the HU and amps for noise immunity.... Because one of the music signals was inverted, subtraction also results in a music signal that is twice the original signal.

The differential outputs of the HU have a DC offset to eliminate the need for coupling capacitors in the head unit and amplifiers. DC offset is also used in Bose systems to "wake up" the amplifiers.

...All I know is that the Bose system in my Maxima kicks ass! The voices are crystal clear when I am listening to talk radio and the bass blurs the images on my rearview mirror when I listen to hip hop, rap and rock.
Mama Mia! Mother of God! what is that!

EE 101 wil tell you that diffrential amps about the most common amps out there. just about everyone has one but they dont think it make sense to print that rubbish.

Maybe whoever wrote this should meet a SE tube evangilist! :-)
Old 27th October 2005, 10:58   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
the best way to clean up sound is to use software like Sound Forge. you are able to then see the noise and clean it up. how oyu clean depends on the type of noise..
Will chk on it.

Quote:
as far as Bose goes they have a very powerful marketing machine. beyond that som of their products have excellent facilites (not to be confused with specifications) that make them acceptable by many...

There is a common gripe that they dont publish the specifications of their speakers in their brochures. Its more like " I am a Man" with no info abt age, color, height and blah blah blah

Quote:
1. their pro sound speakers were the first truly portable speakers that one could set up in 5-10 minutes. small bands and travelling musicians loved it. I am talking about their 802 and 402.
Yeah have seen small rock bands settin up these spakers out here in imprtnt streets/parks. Thats one of unique things here i like in Tokyo.

Quote:
3. Dr. Bose is a great beliver in psychoacoustics. This belief led to the developemnt of the Acoustimass and Waveguide product range. It was doubly fortunatel for Bose the Home Theater came along at the same time. Husbands who wanted Home Theater compromised and got Bose systems as wives would allow 5 small speakers but 5 large ones were out of the question.
So true, the wives and all the gal friends have popularised this Brand because of their dimunitive sizes and ease of placement in the houses.

Isnt it true that some of the music is lost when it comes through the bose speakers ( acoustimass and waveguide prodcts). I surely can feel that it sounds different from the regular speakers.

Quote:
While most of us believe in psychoacoustics, we also believe that the present measuring techniques (incl. FFT and waterfall plots) are unable to fully quantify the differences between good sounding components and bad sounding components

That the ear can be tricked we all believe in; it the nature of the trick where many "audiophiles" disagree with Bose Corp's findings/beliefs

Amongst Bose Corp's belives is that the ear will not miss some frequencies if others in the range are present. This means that they can have a speaker that only producces sound between 40 and 70Hz for the bass, 200 and 500Hz for the lower mids, 2k to 4K for the upper mids, and some tizzy stuff above 10k and th ear will not notice this. Balderdash I say! Yes given the size of their Acoustimass subs and sats most speakers would have the same limitations but that does not mean the ear has been tricked.

Bose Corp likes to hide behind technical jargon. Some of it sounds like it came out of a B grade Sci-Fi movie.
It is an interesting trick where the ears are made to percieve the sound as pleasant and of high quality. From a layman's point of view who is mostly into melody, lyrics, tune and adding to these the general exposure and lack of interest to audio quality and how all the music should sound when reproduced in India and in many countries, Bose does look like a marketing success with this trick.

Not to forget that the ears are tricked by the visuals also. Its like the music coming from the small enclosures forces you to believe that they are sounding great.

Last edited by muni : 27th October 2005 at 11:04.
Old 27th October 2005, 12:01   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885
answer to this my freind lies in the two signatures(read urs and mine) !!!!
thanks 4 bailing me out.
Old 27th October 2005, 12:18   #135
BHPian

I have heard some Bose systems and was not at all impressed. There are a many other systems which I feel are much better. By the way, why trick your ears into believing all that stuff. Why can't they just produce a speaker that produces all frequencies?

And the differential amp stuff. Take virtually any amplifier circuit today. You will see differential input stages and so on. This is one of the basics we learn while studying electronics. Hats off to these guys.

Most Viewed