Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2010, 12:19   #1
BHPian

Second Battery for Lancer ICE

Hi, i was wondering if it is possible to fit an additional battery on a lancer, i have heavy ICE setup and am concerned of the battery going flat when operating when the car is parked.
Old 22nd April 2010, 12:26   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by regnex View Post
Hi, i was wondering if it is possible to fit an additional battery on a lancer, i have heavy ICE setup and am concerned of the battery going flat when operating when the car is parked.
Having another one would not be a problem but where would you put it? if it is kept in the trunk it will ruin the setup there and there are chances it migt spark. The best suggestion for you is to go for a deep cycle battery.

Pramod
Old 22nd April 2010, 13:31   #3
Team-BHP Support

I think first you need to specify :

1) What your setup is (ie whats the average current draw when you play it)
2) How long do you want to run it with the car off

Based on that people here can suggest if getting an extra battery makes sense.

@pramodkumar - as for mounting it in the boot, a lot of people do that. Its not really a concern in terms of sparking as you mentioned, as long as its well mounted and insulated.

cya
R
Old 22nd April 2010, 14:37   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
@pramodkumar - as for mounting it in the boot, a lot of people do that. Its not really a concern in terms of sparking as you mentioned, as long as its well mounted and insulated.

cya
R
I know sideways has done that, but regnex has some cool stuff in the boot and an extra battery might not gell well with the existing stuff.

Pramod
Old 22nd April 2010, 16:34   #5
Senior - BHPian

Upgrading the Alternator will help out more than just adding another battery. Along with that You can also change the stock battery and get one with higher ampere.
Old 22nd April 2010, 17:20   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invinsible View Post
Upgrading the Alternator will help out more than just adding another battery. Along with that You can also change the stock battery and get one with higher ampere.
+1 for that,you need to upgrade the alternator or getting a higher Ampier battery will do the job,and regnar you really need to replace the "chintu mintu" battery of your's
Old 22nd April 2010, 17:29   #7
BHPian

You should also upgrade the "Big Three" if not already done.
Old 23rd April 2010, 00:14   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
Having another one would not be a problem but where would you put it? if it is kept in the trunk it will ruin the setup there and there are chances it migt spark. The best suggestion for you is to go for a deep cycle battery.

Pramod
very true pramod, thats the big question, where do i put it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
I think first you need to specify :

1) What your setup is (ie whats the average current draw when you play it)
2) How long do you want to run it with the car off

Based on that people here can suggest if getting an extra battery makes sense.

cya
R
Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
I know sideways has done that, but regnex has some cool stuff in the boot and an extra battery might not gell well with the existing stuff.

Pramod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Invinsible View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramie2400 View Post
+1 for that,you need to upgrade the alternator or getting a higher Ampier battery will do the job,and regnar you really need to replace the "chintu mintu" battery of your's
Ramie bro, you had me cracking with that "chintu mintu" statement .

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirst4torque View Post
You should also upgrade the "Big Three" if not already done.
BTW what are the "Big Three" ?

Seriously guys, fitting a bigger capacity battery will obviously solve the problem, but i'm keen to know if there is an option for fitting two batteries with one religiously dedicated to the ICE, charged by the alternator. also considering the weight and specifications of an ideal battery.

As there's also another installation pending and eagerly waiting in my ride very soon, 'Nitrous purge'.
Old 23rd April 2010, 00:54   #9
Senior - BHPian

Two batteries are not needed in the car,the best option is getting a Higher capacity battery and upgrade on the alternator for faster charging we have upgraded one Maruti zen's alternator with the swift alternator,costed us about 7k+labour it was sourced as MGP. (Maruti Genuine Parts) the upgrade is running succesfully without any problem since past 8months,using about 1000WRMS x 2 subs thumping bass every night on the streets on mumbai.
Old 23rd April 2010, 01:40   #10
BHPian

alternator is the way to go.

Your electricals are rarely run by the battery. They run off the alternator when not idling. Its better if you had a bigger capacity battery and then did some juggad into putting in a second high capacity alternator with a smaller pulley so that its making juice even at idle rpm. Preferably the juggad alternator should be solenoid clutch operated so that its engaged only when the ice is on or else the acceleration/fuel efficiency will take a hit. A little bit of electronics will be needed to control the clutch of the juggad alternator so that it does not mess with the original battery and alternator.

The cheapest alternative is to put in a humongous alternator with a smaller pulley thats used in luxury cars.
Old 23rd April 2010, 10:07   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramie2400 View Post
the upgrade is running succesfully without any problem since past 8months,using about 1000WRMS x 2 subs thumping bass every night on the streets on mumbai.
Ramie bhai, can you please share the details on this set-up? Seems interesting.
Old 23rd April 2010, 10:30   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by regnex View Post
BTW what are the "Big Three" ?
Upgrade the Battery to Alternator, Alternator to Chassis and Chassis to Battery wires. There is plenty of information available on the forum about them.
Old 23rd April 2010, 14:05   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirst4torque View Post
Upgrade the Battery to Alternator, Alternator to Chassis and Chassis to Battery wires. There is plenty of information available on the forum about them.
Nope..

"Big Three" upgrade refers to improving the current capacity of three cables viz. 1) alternator positive to battery positive, 2) battery negative to chassis and 3) engine ground to chassis

But..

# 1), i.e. alternator positive to battery positive is not recommended as it may have lead to the warranty issues.

Upgrade Big 2 and you'll be safe!
Old 23rd April 2010, 15:03   #14
Senior - BHPian

How will the 2nd battery get charged ?

i think it is safe to go for a better alternator and battery than a 2nd one.
Old 23rd April 2010, 16:21   #15
Senior - BHPian

if he wants power when car is parked then upgrading alternator will not work until engine is not running.
then a second bigger deep discharge battery(which will be powering the amplifiers atleast) will be needed or entire ice will have to be rewired to the second one. along with a higher rated alternator to support more load.

Most Viewed