Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2010, 04:38   #1
Senior - BHPian

Which Comps and HU to buy.

Hi guys,

I am still in US and need to decide on Comps and HU for my car.

I have few things in my mind.

For Comps, i saw this:
Tempo 6 - Morel 6.5" 2 Way Component System
Nominal Impedance: 4 ohm
Power Handling: 120W
Max. Transient Power Handling: 280W
Sensitivity (2.83V/1M): 90dB
Frequency Response: 40–22000Hz
Crossover Point: 3800Hz 6dB/octave
Voice Coil Diameter, Woofer: 25mm (1.00”), Tweeter: 28mm (1.10”)
Voice Coil Wire: Woofer: Copper, Tweeter: Copper
Mounting Depth: Woofer62mm (2.44”), Tweeter: 20mm (0.80”)
Magnet System: Woofer: T-type high-grade ferrite, Tweeter: Neodymium

For HU, i saw this:
CD5030 - Eclipse CD/MP3/USB/iPod Player with Built-in Bluetooth Technology
  • Plays CD/CD-R/CD-RW/MP3/WMA/iPod
  • Built-in Bluetooth® wireless technology
  • USB connection
  • Monochrome OEL display
  • MOSFET 50W x 4 MAX channel outputs (25w x4 RMS)
  • 7-band PEQ and loudness control (+7dB at 50Hz/+5dB at 10kHz)
  • Auto EQ (using optional MEI-100 microphone)
  • Time Alignment (Auto/Easy)
  • Enhanced DSP
  • Crossovers
  • Signal to Noise Ratio: 95dB
  • 6-Channel 5V preamp outputs
  • Blue/Red switchable illumination
  • Twin security system
  • Remote control included
  • E-LAN data link system
  • Rear AUX input
  • Direct iPod® connection (USB)
  • Simple search function for iPod
  • Detachable front panel/ESN (Key CD Security)
  • Multi-Harmonizer
  • Non Fader Level/Phase control
  • Non Fader Mono/Stereo changeble
  • Flip type Face
  • Display Customization

Now the question is, how good are these? I listen to Trance and only Trance, so i want to have a good Comps that have a deep bass in them. I have Hertz DSK 165 rightnow running on JBL 1004 with ID V3 12" on it. I want to have comps that can take a load of around 100+ RMS, so that when i upgrade my amp, i have a good comps. Rightnow i feel the urge to have more kick from my comps rather than having ID sub to provide all of it. I am not sure how Morel comps are but i have heard a lot about them.

- I am still open to having an another brand of comps that can give goos bass.
- I am looking at around 30K for both the HU and Comps from US.
- I like the Eclipse HU that i have mentioned but i wanted to ask is is there is a problem with this HU in India, then is there a way or place where i can get it rectified? I know i am taking a risk buying a Eclipse which does not have a dealer in India, but i know they are the best HU you can get so want to take a risk. I know that people like Gunbir, B&T can help when it comes to buying a expensive stuff, but i wanted to be sure if its a good buy.

Sorry for asking so many question.

Last edited by Technocrat : 23rd April 2010 at 15:57. Reason: Mention of alcohol in any form is not allowed + additional tags removed + formatting changed for better readability, Thanks
Old 26th April 2010, 01:03   #2
Senior - BHPian

I also have another thing in mind, what about the AMP. I have two amps in mind which are below:
Kappa4 - Infinity 600 watts
  • 4 channel amplifier
  • 125 watts RMS x 4 at 4 ohms (150 watts RMS x 4 at 2 ohms)
  • 300 watts RMS x 2 bridged at 4 ohms
  • CEA-2006 Compliant
  • variable high- and low-pass filters (32-320 Hz, 12dB per octave)
  • bass boost: 0-12 dB
  • frequency response: 10 Hz to 75 kHz
  • Non-stop Thermal Protection circuitry
  • Class-D amplifier design
  • differential balanced speaker-and preamp-level inputs
  • 4-gauge power and ground leads and a 80-amp fuse recommended — wiring and hardware not included with amplifier
  • Fuse rating: 40A x 2
  • Dimensions: 7-1/16"W x 1-3/4"H x 14-5/8"D
Second option is:
Alpine PDX-4.100
4-Channel class-D car amplifier
4/3/2 Channel Operation
100 watts RMS x 4 at 4 ohms (100 watts RMS x 4 at 2 ohms)
200 watts RMS x 2 in bridged mode (4-ohm stable in bridged mode)
CEA-2006 compliant
Stackable Installation Design with front-panel controls
Thermal Management Processor
Adjustable Crossover (HP/LP)
MOSFET Power Supply
DC-DC PWM Power Supply
MOSFET Final Outputs
STAR Circuitry
Auto Over-Current Protection
Top Mounted Blue LED Power/Status Indicator
Integrated Wire and Mounting Screw Terminals
Input Channel Selector
Input Mode Selector Switch
One Side Terminal Layout
Gold Plated RCA Input Connectors
Continuously Adjustable Gain Control
Gold Plated Power Screw Terminals
4-Layer Glass Epoxy PC Board
Speaker Quick Connect
fuse rating: 30A x 2
10-3/16"W x 2-1/2"H x 8-1/2"D

Reason for this choice is the budget. Thinking of around $300 to $350 range and these two are the ones that i can find.

So just out of these two, which would be a better choice?
Old 26th April 2010, 01:35   #3
Senior - BHPian

Haven't heard the Tempo but the Morel's are great sounding drivers. Plays clean, non-fatigue. However, almost all Morel comps are power hungry. Haven't heard the Tempo but been using Dotech and Hybrid ovation and they produce smooth good amount of midbass, a bit laid back. What really shines in Morel's is there mids and highs. Tempo produces decent midbass.

Eclipse head unit looks good with the features it offers. However there are some sites that still are selling the Clarion DXZ785USB which can do 3 way active and I prefer the natural sound it produces.
What's your budget on it ?

As for the amp I say Kappa4 hands down, PDX 4.100 seems to produce a bit of floor noise. Kappa4 has better signal to noise ratio read few reviews on it and it seems they play cleaner compared to the PDX.
Old 26th April 2010, 07:48   #4
BHPian

Very true invisible bhai. Infinity all the way.Alpine PDX is notorious of having a noise floor. Avoid it..

You can get a Alpine 9887 below $300 . Any budget constraints?
Old 27th April 2010, 01:46   #5
Senior - BHPian

For HU, i am looking at around $300 max. I am geting Alpinr 9887 for $299 too but dont know why but my heart is saying to go for Eclipse. The issue is that if something goes wrong with Eclipse, then i might be stuck with a dead HU, whereas Alpine is not a problem as we have dealers in India.

For the Comps, i am thinking of Morel is because i heard that they are good when it comes to midbass. I listen to Trance only so i need to have a good midbass. I curently have Hertz DSK 165 and they are bright (which i dont mind though) but now as i need a change and Morels come to my mind. However if you guys know another brand of Comps that are known for there good Bass, then please do let me know.
Infact last night i was riding in my boss's car in US and saw that he had Boston speakers in the front and to be true, i found them really good. The speakers were not running on any amp as my boss told me, but he didnt knew the serial # for the comps so i dont know which model were they. How is Boston comps anyways? Are they worth looking at instead of Morels?
Old 27th April 2010, 02:41   #6
Senior - BHPian

Look at something like a copper chassis pioneer, or the eclipse 7200.
I personally don't like the 5030.
Old 27th April 2010, 09:12   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
For HU, i am looking at around $300 max. I am geting Alpinr 9887 for $299 too but dont know why but my heart is saying to go for Eclipse. The issue is that if something goes wrong with Eclipse, then i might be stuck with a dead HU, whereas Alpine is not a problem as we have dealers in India.

For the Comps, i am thinking of Morel is because i heard that they are good when it comes to midbass. I listen to Trance only so i need to have a good midbass. I curently have Hertz DSK 165 and they are bright (which i dont mind though) but now as i need a change and Morels come to my mind. However if you guys know another brand of Comps that are known for there good Bass, then please do let me know.
Infact last night i was riding in my boss's car in US and saw that he had Boston speakers in the front and to be true, i found them really good. The speakers were not running on any amp as my boss told me, but he didnt knew the serial # for the comps so i dont know which model were they. How is Boston comps anyways? Are they worth looking at instead of Morels?
Its $249 Here
Alpine CDA-9887 AM/FM CD/MP3/WMA/AAC Receiver(ALPCDA9887) and other affordable Head Units at 6ave.com.

i had a recent experience of getting something without a warranty and had to shelve out extra to get repaired. but if you buy a Eclipse you cant even get it repaired here. Buy a Pioneer P800prs or Alpine 9887 or Alpine CD117 with is next model after 9887.

Regarding Components
I dont think Hertz DSK series is at all bright but others may differ. Boston makes some good components but Morels are a class apart..
Old 27th April 2010, 22:05   #8
Senior - BHPian

[quote=Piyush_Vroom;1857461]
but if you buy a Eclipse you cant even get it repaired here.

Now this is the reason i am little scared for Eclipse. However if we talk bout warranty, i see that all things go bad only after the expiry of the warranty so i am not concerned about the warranty for any of the HU (Pio or Eclipse).

Question:
For Alpine 9887 or Eclipse 5030, do i need to buy seprate cable or something in order to work Bluetooth and Ipod?
Old 28th April 2010, 02:00   #9
Senior - BHPian

One more question, Can Morel Tempo 6 be fitted in Ford Fiesta doors? I hope there are no issues with there mounting depth.
Old 29th April 2010, 22:07   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Question:
For Alpine 9887 or Eclipse 5030, do i need to buy seprate cable or something in order to work Bluetooth and Ipod?
Both 9887 and the eclipse need a cable for the Ipod. and another gadget for Bluetooth.
Alpine 117 wont need a cable for Ipod. But, again will need the device for BT.

If you need bluetooth, get the Eclipse 7200 if its available for sale anywhere.
Old 29th April 2010, 23:49   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Both 9887 and the eclipse need a cable for the Ipod. and another gadget for Bluetooth.
Alpine 117 wont need a cable for Ipod. But, again will need the device for BT.

If you need bluetooth, get the Eclipse 7200 if its available for sale anywhere.
Eclipse 7200 is little expensive thats the reason i am not buying it. I like Alpine and the price for which i am getting but it does not have USB and thats one thing i really want due to the growing list of CD's and my 30GB Ipod too is almost full. Bluetooth is not that important but if i get it, nothing like it.
Does Alpine 117 has all the features like TA, BT,USB etc? I havent seen it yet but will do a Google to see it.
I thought Eclipse 5030 didnt need any gadget to work BT and Ipod. Is it really so? I know Alpine does need them for sure but 5030, not sure. Can anyone please confirm this.
Old 29th April 2010, 23:55   #12
Senior - BHPian

Why google when you have a thread right here?
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sound-...ine-117-a.html
Old 30th April 2010, 00:45   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Why google when you have a thread right here?
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sound-...ine-117-a.html
Looks nice to me. So it has TA,Ipod cable included but no sperate USB. Any idea howmuch it costs in India? Reason being that if its not that costly in india, then i can buy this when i come back and instead of HU, i can buy something else from US.
Old 30th April 2010, 11:41   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Looks nice to me. So it has TA,Ipod cable included but no sperate USB. Any idea howmuch it costs in India? Reason being that if its not that costly in india, then i can buy this when i come back and instead of HU, i can buy something else from US.
I dont think its in India as yet. But if even if its available. It would cost more than 23K which was the price of Alpine 9887.
Old 30th April 2010, 13:26   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Eclipse 7200 is little expensive thats the reason i am not buying it. I like Alpine and the price for which i am getting but it does not have USB and thats one thing i really want due to the growing list of CD's and my 30GB Ipod too is almost full. Bluetooth is not that important but if i get it, nothing like it.

I was also in US a week back and in a flux about what all to buy. Finally, I decided on Kenwood eXcelon x994. Its a new model released couple of months back and an upgrade over x993. Pretty good reviews. Even better sound. Plus it has Parrot bluetooth. So atleast I was floored. You can see it here - Kenwood Excelon KDC-X994 CD receiver at Crutchfield Signature

Most Viewed