Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2010, 14:33   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhipuru16 View Post
Any reviews from your side regarding this sub. Which enclosure are you using?
Yeah its on the way, I made a custom enclosure as per the specs came along with that. Made of MDF, double layered front and back, filled poly foam sheets.
Old 21st July 2010, 22:40   #17
BHPian

ICE'd my beat speakers last thursday

Front Speakers - Illusion Audio Electra Series 4" component - EL 4.1 - Rs. 4500/- (with tweeters)
Rear Speakers - Illusion Audio Electra Series 4" coax - EL 42 - Rs. 3000/-

Got it fitted from Poona Motors, alstonlobo had suggested to go for Boston Playsmart SI403 and Polk Audio DB641 i could not procure them was searching for them since last week, upped my budget slightly and went for Illusion.

Huge improvement in sound clarity now, Bass is not thumping, however delivers the punch. Rear speaker sound does not distort on high volume.

Could not post pictures of the speakers since the poona motors guys were quick enough to start fitting the speakers even before i could take some snaps.
Old 19th January 2011, 15:46   #18
BHPian

Re: ICE for a BEAT

Hi,

Any idea if any speaker bigger than 4" would fit in Beat PS rear speaker COmpany provided slot?
Old 26th May 2011, 17:20   #19
BHPian

I ICE'd my BEAT finally a few months ago for 15K. However, the front 4" are killing the music experience - no bass in the front at all! Can someone recommend anything magical that can fit in 4" but still deliver decent bass? Or, is there nice nook where I can place better speakers in the front?
Old 10th October 2011, 10:05   #20
BHPian

Beat speaker upgrade - advise needed

I am planning to upgrade the front 4" Bull audio to components, but confused about the location for the installation.

OPTION 1
The stock location is Dash board, firing towards the windshield and I think 5" components can be easily installed with minimal cutting(Please see the attached the photos).

1.But will the windshield firing affect the SQ?
2.The dash won't act as an enclosure, I had seen huge opening when the speakers were removed.

OPTION 2
Other option and highly recommended one is cutting the door panels for 6" components and the DLS installation in picture seems neat(http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post1946514.

But I am confused about this due to the following reasons:

1.It is yet to confirm if there involves ant metal cutting?
2.The vehicle is new?
3.In my old zen the door speakers were damaged within 1 week of installation due to water, thanks to rains in kerala.
4.Have doubt about rattling issues and won't the added weight affect the door hinges ?

OPTION 3

I have asked my brother to check the availability of DLS 4" components in Finland(DLS has 3 ranges in 4" components).

But will the 4" comp go on with my existing setup?

MY CURRENT ICE

HU - AVH-2390DVD
REAR- JL Audio 6*9
Front- Bull Audio 4"
Have plans for a 2 channel amp in future(if the comp needs one) but no plans for SUB.
Attached Thumbnails
ICE for a Chevrolet BEAT-img_0343.jpg  

ICE for a Chevrolet BEAT-img_0344.jpg  

Last edited by b_ambat : 10th October 2011 at 10:10.
Old 10th October 2011, 10:57   #21
BHPian

Re: Beat speaker upgrade - advise needed

Hi, just happened to see your post now and I guess its better to reply for your PM here as it may be useful for others too.

Here's what I've done for my ICE:

Front: Phoniex Gold 6" Comps on door
Rear : JBL GT5-402 4" on the rear stock position
Sub : JBL CS 1215 12" in the boot
AMP: Clarion XR 2410 4 Ch driving the front comps and Sub on bridged mode, Rear speakers are directly from HU.

Here's some pics

Name:  PA210118 Medium.JPG
Views: 4620
Size:  68.2 KB

I just retained the bottle rack by placing it little away from the rack. It took 3 spacers to mount the speakers in place and dont've much vibrations at moderate volumes

Got done it at Galaxy near Modern Bread Edappally, but they could've done it bit more neatly, Door cuttings lacks perfection + you've to be with them at the time of installation.

ICE for a Chevrolet BEAT-pa210119-medium.jpg

Cross over box is inside the utility rack

ICE for a Chevrolet BEAT-pa210121-medium.jpg

Its my idea to mount the AMP on the corner to save the max space from the boot, they were about to fix it on the rear seat which will turn out my back seat can't be foldable.

Rest everything was DIY for me.

ICE for a Chevrolet BEAT-pa210120-medium.jpg

Stock provision was for 4X5 IIRC, but I've cut a 4" hole to make it fit. Only the front seats will be getting the audiophile treat from the comps and the rear seats will be subtle as my mom especially ladies doesn't like the music over powers their conversation.

ICE for a Chevrolet BEAT-pa210122-medium.jpg

Sub woofer is placed opposite to the AMP to save the space. Got the Sub, asked the carpentar to make the enclosure as per the required volume with double layered 1" MDF walls to get the best thump. Filled with poly fills to make it more comfortable for the sub.

ICE for a Chevrolet BEAT-pa210123-medium.jpg

It hardly takes 4/6" from the opening, need to secure it with a bracket, its keep on dancing along with the thump.

Don't've much pics of installations as I forgot to take the cam

Hope this will be helpful for you, let me know if you require any more details.
Old 10th October 2011, 22:30   #22
BHPian

[QUOTE
AMP: Clarion XR 2410 4 Ch driving the front comps and Sub on bridged mode, Rear speakers are directly from HU.
[/quote]

How much for the comp? and please comment about the performance of Phoniex.
However I too expected better fit and finish from the Installers (this looks neat http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post1946514).
Old 10th October 2011, 23:10   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_ambat View Post
OPTION 1
The stock location is Dash board, firing towards the windshield and I think 5" components can be easily installed with minimal cutting(Please see the attached the photos).
1.But will the windshield firing affect the SQ?
2.The dash won't act as an enclosure, I had seen huge opening when the speakers were removed.
Try to place a 5" comp in the dash opening and see (if the installer has got a sample 5") - I think trial and error method only works here.
Me too had the same thought of squeezing a 5" in the dash, but played safe with a 4".
There seems to be gap for the 5", but accessibility is limited due to the sloping windshield. Tightening the screw is a bit tricky job!
Old 11th October 2011, 11:10   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_ambat View Post
[QUOTE
How much for the comp? and please comment about the performance of Phoniex.
However I too expected better fit and finish from the Installers (this looks neat http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post1946514).[/quote]

I bought it from Amazon.com for a steal price of $70, they are good and working fine with my taste. I find its a real VFM comps you can get, even the Galaxy guys also vouch for its performance.

Yeah, they could've done it bit more decently especially from bottom, luckily its only on the bottom side which can't be seen from eye level. But the placements of speakers are at its best without sacrificing the utiltiy rack. Plus, they've'nt cut the back side of the door pads to mount the speakers, I guess this is why less rattling even on higher volumes. They've told me to do that, but I said will do it later.

If you are going for comps, go for a good AMP too without an AMP the comps wont perform to its optimum and the HU won't've enough juice to power it properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by salbin View Post
Try to place a 5" comp in the dash opening and see (if the installer has got a sample 5") - I think trial and error method only works here.
Me too had the same thought of squeezing a 5" in the dash, but played safe with a 4".
There seems to be gap for the 5", but accessibility is limited due to the sloping windshield. Tightening the screw is a bit tricky job!
Salbin, I don't think a 5" will go in with the stock grills and without the grill it will be an eye sore, the sides of the stock grills are not even.

If you want more bass go for bigger comps than investing a fortune on a puny 4" co axials. Initially I've installed the JBL 4" to the stock provision and even with the AMP, bass is not there, and the rear was over performing which I don't want. I want the sound perfection to be in the front.

Did you saw my new thread on Scangauge E? I am thinking of to get it from Amazon but shipping directly to here is 2X of the item cost, looking for someone can carry it for me from US. Any helping hands?

Last edited by sajjt : 11th October 2011 at 11:14.
Old 4th December 2011, 09:22   #25
BHPian

Hmm, I've this setup currently:

4" JBL at front
Pioneer 6X9 at rear on parcel shelf
Alpine HU

However like I posted before, there is no bass in the front at all. People sitting at the rear complain of too much of it as I increase the volume so the bass would reach me :(

I'd like to ask you guys here, if I get rid of the 6X9s at the rear and get regular 4" that would fit in the stock grill and get a decent SUB, would it deliver sufficient bass? I really don't want to cut doors, but need good bass.

When it comes to SUBs is there anything decent that would fit under front seat? I know there are a lot of brands out there but do they deliver the punch?

Appreciate all help!
Old 4th December 2011, 21:53   #26
Senior - BHPian

Did you try reversing the phase of the rear speakers? Both speakers, not one. Might help in integrating with the fronts.
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2011, 23:32   #27
BHPian

Helmet , if you have 4" JBL coax in the front they wouldnt matter because Pio 6*9 will anyday overtake them. If you want a better stage including more bass in the front stage, you consider the following speakers, they are all 4":
Polk Audio: db401
Polk Audio: db501
Polk Audio: DXi400
and if you have lots of money, try the best:
Polk Audio: SR5250
Another important thing , if you want these Polk speakers to show what they are capable of , do you use an Amp , thought you may power rear Pio ovals from HU.
You can also add a Active sub under the front seat , the thump is good the Xenos and it will not let you miss any of the woofers in the market.
garry.brant is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2011, 11:36   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Did you try reversing the phase of the rear speakers? Both speakers, not one. Might help in integrating with the fronts.
Hi, can you please explain or point me to a resource how that works? I'm going to try that today anyway, but I'd like to know the details
Ok, I found something on the web: http://www.ehow.com/info_8372487_hap...ker-wires.html
Do you mean to say I should 'kill' the rear speaker bass to make the sound more balanced?

Quote:
Originally Posted by garry.brant View Post
Helmet , if you have 4" JBL coax in the front they wouldnt matter because Pio 6*9 will anyday overtake them. If you want a better stage including more bass in the front stage, you consider the following speakers, they are all 4":
Polk Audio: db401
Polk Audio: db501
Polk Audio: DXi400
and if you have lots of money, try the best:
Polk Audio: SR5250
Another important thing , if you want these Polk speakers to show what they are capable of , do you use an Amp , thought you may power rear Pio ovals from HU.
You can also add a Active sub under the front seat , the thump is good the Xenos and it will not let you miss any of the woofers in the market.
Hey, do you think it would be sufficient to just get the under-seat SUB with the current 4" JBLs ?

I'm not looking for too much thump. The bass has to sound just tight in all four seats of the car. If the under-seat SUB is good enough I might even want to get rid of the 6X9 at the rear, replace with a pair of Polks 4" in stock position and reclaim the parcel space.

Last edited by hellmet : 5th December 2011 at 11:42.
Old 5th December 2011, 13:18   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
Hi, can you please explain or point me to a resource how that works? I'm going to try that today anyway, but I'd like to know the details
Hey, do you think it would be sufficient to just get the under-seat SUB with the current 4" JBLs ?
No, that was the wrong 'reversal of wires' - that deals with reversal of ONE of the speaker's connections. This is also known as "correcting phase cancellation of bass". Your problem is different: bass from rear speakers not integrating with front speakers.

As I said, reverse BOTH the speaker connections. I don't know what type of connection is there at the rear speakers - press-fit terminal with lugs, or wire soldered to terminal.
- If they are soldered, you just need to de-solder the wires and swap the wires from one terminal to the other
- if they are press fit, it is likely that one terminal is broader than the other. In such a case, you will not be able to swap. What can be done is to cut the wires and swap connections (cut about 12" away from the terminals, strip and twist one incoming to the other terminal wire - and vice versa). Be sure to insulate the joints with electrical tape

If all goes well, you will not need to get the underseat sub - your 6x9s should satisfy your need (for the time being )
Old 10th May 2012, 11:27   #30
BHPian

Here is what I have got
1. JBL front : 4 inch
2. JBL rear 6x9
3. JVC HU (only USB, no disc)
4. AMP (forgot the name, was slightly pre-used)
5. JBL bass tube (occupies the whole boot)
6. Bose wiring
7. Custom parcel tray

Costed me around 20k (amp came in free, thanks to the fren's place from where I had it installed). SQ: Couldnt have asked for more - vibrates windows of my house easily

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks