Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2010, 13:26   #61
BHPian

Sankar, the infinity kappa 120.9 sub is awesome. But one thing is it will not go loud. but very very good sound quality.

The cost is around 9750 to 10K..

If SQ is what you want then please go for this sub. It looks too classy.
Old 29th September 2010, 13:37   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr_007 View Post
Sankar, the infinity kappa 120.9 sub is awesome. But one thing is it will not go loud. but very very good sound quality.

I am not too sure where you got that info from but the sub can go pretty loud. Infact it can do 3db more in 2ohm than the 4ohms, thats more like doubling like output or adding another sub. I guess this is already discussed.

Last edited by Invinsible : 29th September 2010 at 13:40.
Old 29th September 2010, 14:01   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi10 View Post
Good going bro, i always liked the Active setup more than the passive ones. So your Quasi active 3 way should be miles better than fully passive setup.
Thanks
Yep its much better now than how it played through passive crossover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr_007 View Post

Primarily aiming for a SQ setup and I don't listen at high volume either. I listen at volumes which let me hear myself think..hehe

I already ordered the sub and i think I'm paying more for the sub here if it indeed is sold for 10k there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invinsible View Post
Infact it can do 3db more in 2ohm than the 4ohms, thats more like doubling like output or adding another sub. I guess this is already discussed.
Nice! It will be run at 2ohms off my GTO3501 mono, which i guess would be good match considering the RMS rating of the amp and the sub.
Old 9th October 2010, 20:41   #64
BHPian

Oyee !!! Finally got that kappa kya ? is you have it already post some pics !
Old 14th October 2010, 12:29   #65
Senior - BHPian

The sub hasn't reached me yet. Hope to get it this week.
Old 22nd October 2010, 20:46   #66
Senior - BHPian

Finally after a long long wait i got my Kappa sub a few days back. A big thanks to Sam

I was looking for an SQ sub which should match with the power rating of my existing mono and this Kappa fit the bill perfectly. I read Invinsible's review about the Kappa sub and that helped further to cement my decision to go for this subwoofer.

But sourcing the Kappa was not easy as the local dealer kept on extending delivery date for upto a month when he promised to deliver it in 10 or at the max 14 days at the time of taking advance amount from me. Got fed up with this and contacted Sam seeking help and he suggested buying it directly from Sahil and promised a swift delivery. So didn't waste much time, placed the order with IndiaJBL and the Sub reached me in time.

Here are the pics. At present the Kappa is mounted in the CS1204B sealed box. But its not a good fit because the flush mounting cutout is matched to the CS1214 sub and the Kappa is sitting with an edge out. It doesnt leak any air but its not perfect. A custom sealed box is being build for the Kappa and should be ready by next week.

ICE'd A STAR-pa190148.jpg

Since the sub and the box is a set the sub doesn't have any branding on the magnet.
ICE'd A STAR-pa190151.jpg

JBL sealed box is well made, edges are sealed well.
ICE'd A STAR-pa190152.jpg

Kappa is much heavier than the CS, my guess is that it will weigh around 6 to 7 kilos.
ICE'd A STAR-pa190159.jpg

Compared to the CS sub the Kappa120.9 is very smooth, and i really like the way it blends in with my front components. It will improve further once it breaks in.
ICE'd A STAR-pa220197.jpg
Old 23rd October 2010, 12:40   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Finally after a long long wait i got my Kappa sub a few days back. A big thanks to Sam

I was looking for an SQ sub which should match with the power rating of my existing mono and this Kappa fit the bill perfectly. I read Invinsible's review about the Kappa sub and that helped further to cement my decision to go for this subwoofer.

But sourcing the Kappa was not easy as the local dealer kept on extending delivery date for upto a month when he promised to deliver it in 10 or at the max 14 days at the time of taking advance amount from me. Got fed up with this and contacted Sam seeking help and he suggested buying it directly from Sahil and promised a swift delivery. So didn't waste much time, placed the order with IndiaJBL and the Sub reached me in time.

Here are the pics. At present the Kappa is mounted in the CS1204B sealed box. But its not a good fit because the flush mounting cutout is matched to the CS1214 sub and the Kappa is sitting with an edge out. It doesnt leak any air but its not perfect. A custom sealed box is being build for the Kappa and should be ready by next week.

Attachment 442276

Since the sub and the box is a set the sub doesn't have any branding on the magnet.
Attachment 442277

JBL sealed box is well made, edges are sealed well.
Attachment 442278

Kappa is much heavier than the CS, my guess is that it will weigh around 6 to 7 kilos.
Attachment 442279

Compared to the CS sub the Kappa120.9 is very smooth, and i really like the way it blends in with my front components. It will improve further once it breaks in.
Attachment 442280
Shankar, congrats on your new acquisition Am sure that it make a hell of difference with CS Sub as am using it in my car and I know its capabilities.

One doubt, have you done any damping for this? My hatch door thumping along with the sub in higher volumes.

When you make the custom enclosure, prepare a shape that can be accommodated any of the sides for max space saving. Here's my enclosure sits right side of my boot.

ICE'd A STAR-pa210123.jpg

Try to fill as much as poly fill sheets in loose form to give more room for the sub if you think the volume is not sufficient.
Old 1st November 2010, 18:13   #68
BHPian

The Infinity Kappa sub looks great. I am looking forward to a detailed review of the sub ?
Old 1st November 2010, 19:46   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajjt View Post
Shankar, congrats on your new acquisition
Thanks sajjt!

Quote:
One doubt, have you done any damping for this? My hatch door thumping along with the sub in higher volumes.
I didnt do any complete damping of the rear hatch, i just pasted few sections of DynamatExtreme inside the hatch door randomly. Anyway no complaints from the hatch door.

Quote:
When you make the custom enclosure, prepare a shape that can be accommodated any of the sides for max space saving. Here's my enclosure sits right side of my boot.

Attachment 442567
I cant do that kind of an enclosure since there is no space for a correctly sized enclosure to sit like that. So i'm going for a box of similar design like the one i have right now. Btw the box has been in the making since a week

Quote:
Originally Posted by donarun View Post
The Infinity Kappa sub looks great. I am looking forward to a detailed review of the sub ?
I don't think i'm the right person to do a detailed review of the sub. I can only say that its been very very nice, blends in with the front components very well and it feels almost transparent.

For a more detailed review please check out the Infinity Kappa 120.9 review thread by Invinsible.
Old 4th November 2010, 21:57   #70
BHPian

Sankar, Where did you source DynamatExtreme in TVM ? Details please.
Old 5th November 2010, 08:33   #71
Senior - BHPian

Bought it from muneemmk.
Old 1st January 2011, 13:48   #72
Senior - BHPian

Re: ICE'd A STAR

Update: Replaced the Kenwood Excelon X794 HU with Alpine CDA117.

First Impression:
I like the new sound, much more clear and defined than the Kenny sound. Vocals are superb. But the UI is bad, Kenwood UI was easier to operate and faster.

PITA:
Music banking feature. When i plug in a USB stick it banks the songs into "Banks" consisting of 1000 songs each. This makes browsing through songs a pain when going from one bank to another as it takes a long time to bank the songs and it does it each time i go to a different bank.

Crossover - Only HPF is available without the Imprint kit.

Remote - Can't adjust sound settings or other functions with the remote. Or maybe its because i haven't figured it out yet, but with the Kenny it was a breeze and i didn't have to "learn" it.

Conclusion:
I love it. The jump in SQ staright out of the box more than makes up for the deficiencies.

ICE'd A STAR-01012011144s.jpg

And finally I bought a HU with lighting that matches with my car dashboard lighting
Old 1st January 2011, 14:45   #73
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations.
I don't know about the 794.
But, between the Alpine and the x994, I would choose the Kenwood.
Old 1st January 2011, 15:47   #74
Senior - BHPian

X794 is X994 minus the Bluetooth and variable colour illumination. So the sound signature of both X794 and X994 should be the same.
I found Alpine more detailed and lively compared to the Kenwood especially the vocals, with EQ on both set to flat.
There was a drastic difference in SQ when i moved to X794 from Clarion CZ300, and now with the move to CDA 117 from X794 the change is not as huge but i'm pleasantly surprised.
If anyone asks me if i'd buy this again, i'd say definitely Yes!
Old 1st January 2011, 15:52   #75
Senior - BHPian

Ok, I got it.
The Focals have a laid back signature and with the Alpine , you're getting the sound that matches your taste.
Phew!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks