Team-BHP - Detachable MP3 / CD player
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   In-Car Entertainment (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-entertainment/)
-   -   Detachable MP3 / CD player (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-entertainment/8120-detachable-mp3-cd-player.html)

hi,

Due to frequent thefts of car audio systems in the locality where i stay , was wondering whether a detachable MP3 / CD player was available in Mumbai ?

Pls let me know in case you come across one .

~A

most have detachable faceplates. my old alpine can be removed. it even came with a leather bag to carry it in.

In my days Sosche used to make a universal adapter that allowed any HU to be converted into a removeable HU. However after HU's with removable faceplates, key guards, etc... i think they are discontinued this product.

aditya, almost every HU today comes with detachable face plates, and there is this one model in alpine, called phantom face or so, on which the face plate retracts and goes inside of the HU box.... that is very costly tho....

SOny, Alpine, Kenwood, Pioneer and lot others come with detachable HU faceplates...

navin & ajay,

Thanx for those qucik replies guys....i know that every HU comes with detachable faceplates...infact i had a pioneer 7250 which got stolen from my car even while the detachable faceplate was lying at my home :(

what i am interested is a unit in which the complete HU including the CD changer can be detached ( like those assembled car tapes) and carried home.

Any idea whether such units are there in the market ?

~A

Have not seen one for a while. aditya.

Nope. No one makes them. Foreign thieves dont steal HUs without face plates.

Apna Indian thieves toh will steal a fatela chaddi also.

If somebody steels the HU without the face plate is it of any use to the thief. Is it possible to attach any faceplate. India is the land of jugaad, and if theives are stealing HUs without face plate either they are very dumb or a jugaad exists which we are not aware off.

The other option which i can think of is the parts. For example the CD reading lens costs around 1200-1300 in grey market. The ICs etc., also are expensive. So stealing just the HU may be a lucrative option leading to 4-5K profit.

What do people do when the HU is stolen and the faceplate is with them? Most probably they go to a dealer and try to save some money on the new HU by selling the faceplate to him....There could very well be a market where the two ends meet!

This happened to a friend of mine. Being one who is not perturbed easily he was quite amused.

Hey aditya, I actually had one of those HU's in my M800 many moons ago. The faceplate didn't detatch, instead I had to slide the entire HU out. Not very handy if you go out for dinner or something though (that's when I used to slide it out and put it under the seat), but pretty darn effective!

Don't think they make those anymore.

exactly what did Rtech! I even fashioned a cover to make the hole look at no tape had been installed. SO i took the tape out hid it under the seat then slipped on the cover. If you think I am obsessive look what I did to the Infinity 5010cs. :-)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rtech
Hey aditya, I actually had one of those HU's in my M800 many moons ago. The faceplate didn't detatch, instead I had to slide the entire HU out. Not very handy if you go out for dinner or something though (that's when I used to slide it out and put it under the seat), but pretty darn effective!

Don't think they make those anymore.

Hey Rtech, can you pls recollect and tell me as to what brand was that since i am interested in getting one right away ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by mohit
What do people do when the HU is stolen and the faceplate is with them? Most probably they go to a dealer and try to save some money on the new HU by selling the faceplate to him....There could very well be a market where the two ends meet!.

Exactly, when this happened, the only option left for me is to go scouting for a buyer ofthe faceplate and to my surprise i found someone on ebay ( then baazee) in hyderabad who paid me quite a decent price for it too.

~A

get a laptop buddy. A cheap laptop will be as expensive as a good HU and u can save moeny on amplifiers and presets.

a bonus will be watching dvd's and working on the go.

Quote:

Originally Posted by adityapd
Hey Rtech, can you pls recollect and tell me as to what brand was that since i am interested in getting one right away ?~A

I know you asked Rtech but mine was/is a Alpine 7385.

Quote:

Originally Posted by devarshi84
get a laptop buddy

is it possible to wire the laptop to the speakers in the car ... i don't know how to connect it to 4 speakers ... i mean most laptops have only one jock for 2 speakers. how do u split it to the rear speakers? has anyone done this?