Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2010, 18:56   #1
BHPian

Need help to improve Sound Quality in my Innova

I own a Toyota Innova, it is mostly used for family outings and long distance outstation trips. It currently has a double din Kenwood CD/ MP3 player with front Aux and USB input. I am unable to remember the exact model No, will check and update later. It still has the stock speakers in the doors. Although the sound quality is decent for the setup but it starts getting distorted when the volume is opened up. The speakers cry if a track with some good low frequency notes is being played.

Although I am not much of an audiophile nor well versed with things ICE. I would like to improve the sound quality of my car. I need advise if adding a sub and an amp will suffice or if I need to upgrade all the speakers etc to make it work.

Also since the vehicle is quite frequently used for outstation trips so a sub and amp combo has to be one with the smallest foot print so that it does not take up a lot of space in the back cos I wont like to remove it everytime I have to travel. I am not sure about a budget cos I have never ventured beyond a decent HU and basic speaker setup. I would like to keep the cost to a minimum as I need a good budget for ICE install for a Suzuki Swift which is due for delivery in a month.
Old 15th May 2010, 19:01   #2
Senior - BHPian

budget please!
though it looks like comps up front would be a good idea
Old 15th May 2010, 19:27   #3
BHPian

Dont have much idea about how much a decent combo will cost, picking up information as I read through various threads in the section. I think I can make do with 15-20K for the time being.
Old 15th May 2010, 20:57   #4
Senior - BHPian

add a 4 ch amp, comps in the front & co-axials in the rear. since you do quite a lot of outstation trips, avoid a sub. a small sub wont be of any use in a car like innova which has such a huge cabin.

4 ch amp- 6-8k
comps- 6-8k
co-axials- 3-5k

wiring & installation- 2-4k
Old 15th May 2010, 23:52   #5
BHPian

Thanks for the Help there. It would be lovely if you can suggest a few options in the price brackets that you mentioned. I know I am being greedy, asking for all this info but it sure will help me decide on whatto look for in the market.
Old 16th May 2010, 01:47   #6
Senior - BHPian

Put any comps the first thing I would say is get a layer of damping done to the front doors. Whether the doors are of 5k or 50k cutting the resonance will surely make them sing.
Get a 2 way comps in front with coax at the rear. A decent 4 channel from kenwood or so will make them the comps sing efficiently.
Old 16th May 2010, 08:36   #7
Senior - BHPian

for 4 ch amp, i would suggest JBL, thats decent enough & fits in your budget.

for front comps, the ever famous illusion electra 6.1 or ground zero comps or JBL 608c.

rear co-axails, again i would suggest JBL or ground zero.
Old 16th May 2010, 10:58   #8
BHPian

Thanks all once again for all the advice.

@Invisible: I think i will ensure I get the damping done first thing. Have read about its benefit in quite few threads by now.

@Raj 5004: Thanks for the suggestion. Would start looking for stuff, buy them and install them.

Guys can anybody suggest me a place and brand for sourcing damping sheets in Delhi. Would like to try them out in my Zen also.
Old 19th May 2010, 21:29   #9
BHPian

scosche Accumat

Hi Guys !!

Just came across an Advertisement for Scosche Accumat damping pads. They are sourced by the same Co. which imports JBL into India. Has anybody used them and how good are they, WFM etc. I tried two different accessories store near my home but they don not stock damping pads, so was thinking about getting these if the feedbacks/reviews are good.

Jasvinder

Most Viewed