Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2010, 02:35   #1
BHPian

Need advice on my setup.

Hi Everyone,

I have a couple of questions with my existing audio setup. I have a Baleno Vxi and I use the factory fitted Kenwood MP3 player. This player is hooked on to a Sony Xplod XM504Z.

The speakers I use are JBL GTO 6x9 ovals at the back, JBL GTO 638 in the front and a JBL 1204T Bass Tube in the trunk.

Initially the system kind of sounded great but then I didnt have the car with me for a long time as it was in my hometown. Now I have it with me in Bangalore and trust me I have started to hate it to the core.

1. If I try to check the left and right channels individually, I dont get to hear the rear left speaker, instead I hear something from the sub which definitely isnt right.

2. The front left speaker has has started to make some kind of weird noise if I turn up the volume above 19 or 20

3. for me to have the right front speaker working, I have to listen at more that 24 which in Bangalore's traffic is absolutely ridiculous. I like it at around 19 or max 21.

I happened to see a Kicker KQ9 Equalizer in here for sale and I am planning to have that in my car. The most important thing I want to know is, will this EQ make a difference on my existing setup?

I dont plan to spend much on a new head unit as for some reason I am very comfortable with the head unit in there and I clearly know there are better head units by miles when this one is compared. This is mainly due to my budget constraints. Yes recession has taken a toll on me too..

My fellow BHPians... I need your valuable inputs to get my audio system back in shape. The thing that pisses me off lately is that if I turn off the system completely, It sounds like I have some kind of turbo in my trunk that is about to explode. I hear the alternator noise. Thats so annoying.

I got only 2 words for my existing audio system, screwed up.

Please help.
Old 18th May 2010, 10:57   #2
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron_9191 View Post
The speakers I use are JBL GTO 6x9 ovals at the back, JBL GTO 638 in the front and a JBL 1204T Bass Tube in the trunk.
1. If I try to check the left and right channels individually, I dont get to hear the rear left speaker, instead I hear something from the sub which definitely isnt right.

I happened to see a Kicker KQ9 Equalizer in here for sale and I am planning to have that in my car. The most important thing I want to know is, will this EQ make a difference on my existing setup?
The weather and climate has taken a toll on your speakers. I lost many expensive woofers when I left them unattended for 4 years. The voice coils simply detached from their terminals so I had to get them repaired - they were never the same.

The EQ will not help fix your speakers.

First dismantle the entire system and clean all the terminals, check all the wires and then reconnect the system if that does not help you need to uninstall all of the speakers and have them checked out one at a time. you can even connect them to your home stereo and see which ones make anythig that resembles music.

Once you have identified the damaged components we can decide if it better to get them fixed or replaced.
Old 18th May 2010, 20:14   #3
BHPian

@ Naveen,

Thanks a lot for your response mate. I checked the whole system today evening before I came in to the office. I was surprised to find the whole wiring part was done by a monkey I suppose.

Here's how he has wired it.

The rear left speaker wires goes to the rear right terminal on the amp

The sub cables go to the rear left terminal on the amp.

Absolutely nothing is connected on the front speaker terminals, which makes me think that the front speakers are driven by the HU.

And as you mentioned I completely agree with the weather taking its toll on my speakers.

Here is what I want to do.

I want to hook the HU to the EQ. Then hook the EQ to the AMP.

coming back to the AMP, I want all the speakers to be driven completely the amp. I am not planning to use the sub till I get a monoblock.

Is this a good idea?
Old 14th August 2010, 02:26   #4
BHPian

Mods please help me close this thread. Looks like nobody's bothered to suggest something good.
Old 14th August 2010, 07:30   #5
BHPian

Hey Ron, don't lose heart.

What you need now is a good installer who can check your complete wiring and the installed speakers on your car. The speakers you have are all good. If possible try to go for a component speakers in the front.

Let us know if you have a 2 channel or a 4 channel amp.

In bangalore you have very good installers.

You can contact Sathya- Blueraven316, in bangalore. He will surely help you out.

Send him a PM.
Old 15th August 2010, 01:20   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron_9191 View Post
Mods please help me close this thread. Looks like nobody's bothered to suggest something good.
Did you get your system re-wired? What issues are you facing after the re-wiring?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks