Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2015, 11:11   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: best budget component speakers for heavy metal?

After a lot of deliberation and time taken to decide, took the plunge and changed the JBL co-axials in my Wagon R CNG to components.

Have got the installation done at Sound Factor(Ramie) in Mira Road yesterday.

Some decision making pointers:
  • Deliberated to buy it from Snapdeal and checked with Ramie and picked his brains. Hats off to him for guiding me all through and I resisted to give in to the so called "value deals" on Snapdeal.
  • Considered many options from Snapdeal-
  1. Boston Ref 65R with a offer price of Rs. 3780/-.(Made in Pune with high frequency bursts)
  2. Pioneer TS G 624 C @ Rs. 3490/-(Piezo Tweeters and no Crossovers). (No crossovers and cannot be tuned.)
  3. Blaupunkt GT Power 65.2C 6.5- Rs. 2415/-. (The cheapest branded comp available in the online shops. Nothing more than a glorified co-axial)
  4. Sony(Well strict no no in this Forum for Sony Comps and hence was not too keen myself)
  • Ramie was clear that I don ot buy these crappy Comps(pls. pardon any one who has got the above. I am a novice in this field)
Installation Details:
  • Powerbass S 60C 6.5 in
Details from its website :
  • Pure Silk Dome 1" Tweeter for accurate and smooth high frequency sound reproduction
  • Black 2-layer Paper, DDC Cone - Dynamic Damping Coating (DDC) for deeper, distortion free bass
  • Double Pressed Treated Foam Surround UV protected for long life
  • Shallow Mounting Depth fits almost any vehicle
  • EFF Motor Structures (Efficient Flux Field) will ensure louder sound reproduction with lower power input
  • Non-resonant Basket - Acoustically dampened treated steel basket
  • Computer Aided External 12dB 2-way Crossover Network for smooth transitions between the woofer and tweeter
  • Size: 6.5"
  • Power Handling (RMS/Peak): 70 / 210 watts
  • Nominal Impedance: 4-ohm
  • Frequency Response: 60Hz-20kHz
  • Sensitivity (1W/1M): 90 dB
  • Magnet Size: 10 oz
  • Mounting Depth: 2.3"
(Website Reference: http://www.savinglots.com/lotprod.asp?item=S60C)

Now the review and Installation Process:

I started for Ramie's secret hideout "Sound Factor" at about 1200 noon.
He helped me with the contact details and met Milan at his workshop.

Milan discreetly started with the installation, efficiently.
Ramie came in after a while and what a pleasure meeting a fellow Bhpian and interacting with him.

He is not only an extremely knowledgeable person but also equally warm.
He took time and explained everything that went into the installation.

The installer of my JBL Co-axials had done a poor job. They had infact put the mounting bracket on the speaker.

The plastic mount was changed and a wooden custom mount was made.The Speakers were installed in the door first and all EQ was kept at 0.

Later on, the Tweeters were mounted on the dash. I was thinking a flush into the A panel would be better. Ramie was against that and suggested a dash mount.

Now, the Cross overs were attached and the system was fired up.

Many test files were played and Ramie(who is also a certified MR-adept at listening and customizing music) tuned the system.
The crossovers were adjusted and the EQ was changed using a JL Audio App on his i phone.

The speakers will need a 60 hour break in period.
But boy, they sing.And they sing big time.

Asked my wifey to crank up the volume once home, with her eyes closed.
She got a shocker of her life.

And, the lure of a long drive listening to some kick ass music let us take the car for a longish spin on the Mumbai-Goa highway.
My 3 year son Ishaan was very happy with this unforeseen break and loved the "dhinchak" music.

A big thanks to Ramie for a great instal and moreover sticking to a modest Rs. 5K budget I had to upgrade the speakers.

If I keep the car for some time. I may certainly upgrade the wires, damp up the doors and may instal a 2 Channel Amp.
BTW, Soundfactor are doing up an Innova with a Rs. 5 lac + music upgrade and their custom Polo(Rs. 4.5 lacs instal) sounds "out of the world"

(Pls. note I am not associated with Sound Factor or Ramie in commercial terms. My views are solely based on the fact that I am happy with his installations along with his interpersonal skills and subject knowledge and can certainly recommend him to any person who looks for a good installer in Mumbai/Thane.

Can also recommend the Powerbass comps for someone looking at budget good quality components),

Last edited by arnabchak : 6th August 2015 at 11:24.
Old 6th August 2015, 12:13   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnabchak View Post
  • Considered many options from Snapdeal-
  1. Boston Ref 65R with a offer price of Rs. 3780/-.(Made in Pune with high frequency bursts)
  2. Pioneer TS G 624 C @ Rs. 3490/-(Piezo Tweeters and no Crossovers). (No crossovers and cannot be tuned.)
  3. Blaupunkt GT Power 65.2C 6.5- Rs. 2415/-. (The cheapest branded comp available in the online shops. Nothing more than a glorified co-axial)
  4. Sony(Well strict no no in this Forum for Sony Comps and hence was not too keen myself)
  • Ramie was clear that I don ot buy these crappy Comps(pls. pardon any one who has got the above. I am a novice in this field)
Installation Details:
  • Powerbass S 60C 6.5 in
Ramie must also tell the price for Powerbass S60C in order to let the public decide what is crappy and what is not.
Old 6th August 2015, 12:26   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Ramie must also tell the price for Powerbass S60C in order to let the public decide what is crappy and what is not.
Dear Alpha

I have paid Rs. 5.3K with the installations. My budget was limited to Rs. 5K and within this budget, he has done a good job.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks