Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2010, 12:55   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueraven316 View Post
I have seen a 40 RMS speaker in some instances beat the daylights out of some 80 to 100 RMS speakers in loudness and longevity.
Is the answer still 'never' if we consider a hypothetical situation where tech specs are accurate ? I mean, is there some characteristic of a component that can't be defined by its physical properties ?

Coming back to the real world , is auditioning the only real method to accurately judge a component's performance ?

Thanks.
Old 18th August 2010, 17:41   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anku94 View Post

Coming back to the real world , is auditioning the only real method to accurately judge a component's performance ?

Thanks.
Exactly u hit the nail on the head!! it would be even great if u can find a car with a similar setup as u want to audition but then thats a pretty high probability so auditioning at a car accessory shop is the next best.
Old 19th August 2010, 02:33   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is the answer still 'never' if we consider a hypothetical situation where tech specs are accurate ? I mean, is there some characteristic of a component that can't be defined by its physical properties ?

Tech specs are mostly inaccurate, especially when it comes to entry to mid range priced products. Again, most people cannot understand physical properties by just looking at a product, its a combination of the specs, then the physical properties and at the end it completely depends on what it sounds like in a real situation when it's installed (properly).
The biggest thing today in our country is, if one is really particular about what sound they want in their car, they have to listen to it themselves first, and then also get lucky by having a genuine installer try to understand what they want, and position the right product to them, and have the right experience and understanding of Good Sound! above all

Quote:
As long as it's installed properly in a similar car with similar acoustics.
Old 19th August 2010, 03:59   #19
BHPian

Come on man, If you get your car ICED, you certainly need to click photos in BULK.

we the forum peers love watching pics atleast.
Old 19th August 2010, 17:48   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadra View Post
Question
1. There are plenty of rears in the market like gto948, kickers etc.
I am looking for something which offers good bass with / without amp. Of course i would add an amp later on but bass should be good to begin with till i get bored of it and then add amp, sub

2. The more the RMS the better the SQ ?? (of course you need amps to squeeze the true potential)

Please advice.

Something out of experience, I auditioned almost 10 different coaxes when i went ICEin my lancer and trust me the thing that i chose were humble sony coaxes, their bass response is great even without an amp. I had twin JBL subs in the trunk, now they are occupying a space in the storeroom. My point is audition the speakers before going in for them. to do that select a favorite song and audition it with different speakers and you will know what to buy.

your second question has already been answered by many

Pramod
Old 19th August 2010, 19:42   #21
BHPian

Quote:
I've always wondered this. Can technical specifications tell you everything about the type of sound a component produces ?

BTW, eagerly following your thread. My dad has a Spark too and maybe I'll coax him into getting 4 coaxials with a HU after showing him all this stuff. He listens to radio on his cellphone as of now.
Good to know that you got a spark. Do let us know what coax you will be installing. Always helpful for newbies.

I too listen to radio pretty often and would certainly want to do something to increase the audio quality. Everytime i honk, radio sound weakens.

Quote:
Never!

Tech specs are misleading to most extent today.

People who are new to car audio get wooed by freq range and rms and what not, though it gives an idea, but if you look at it like that Sony should be having some of the best car audio speakers, whereas in the branded products it's one of the worst.

I myself have burnt my fingers a long time ago only going by specs specified by Audio manufacturer. No one is born experienced, so everyone has a learning curve.

I have seen a 40 RMS speaker in some instances beat the daylights out of some 80 to 100 RMS speakers in loudness and longevity.
You the man. You know the setup, please advice on what you recommend for rears. Will get the amp/sub/hu later

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
I have realised that for some unknown reason good intelligent people put their common sense on the backburner when reading audio specs sheets.
It is like they want to believe the published specs!
True for newbies too, to be charmed by a particular brand/specs

Quote:

Thanks.
For someone on a tight budget, a lot of auditioning would be required which is unfortunately not available under one roof. A lot of time & patience is required which mostly runs out soon. Best is to take others (senior tbhp folks) advice then search and search.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
Exactly u hit the nail on the head!! it would be even great if u can find a car with a similar setup as u want to audition but then thats a pretty high probability so auditioning at a car accessory shop is the next best.
Wont the installers run high end audio rather than entry level ??

Quote:
Tech specs are mostly inaccurate, especially when it comes to entry to mid range priced products. Again, most people cannot understand physical properties by just looking at a product, its a combination of the specs, then the physical properties and at the end it completely depends on what it sounds like in a real situation when it's installed (properly).
The biggest thing today in our country is, if one is really particular about what sound they want in their car, they have to listen to it themselves first, and then also get lucky by having a genuine installer try to understand what they want, and position the right product to them, and have the right experience and understanding of Good Sound! above all

As long as it's installed properly in a similar car with similar acoustics.
Very true

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpk View Post
Come on man, If you get your car ICED, you certainly need to click photos in BULK.

we the forum peers love watching pics atleast.
Will do that

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
Something out of experience, I auditioned almost 10 different coaxes when i went ICEin my lancer and trust me the thing that i chose were humble sony coaxes, their bass response is great even without an amp. I had twin JBL subs in the trunk, now they are occupying a space in the storeroom. My point is audition the speakers before going in for them. to do that select a favorite song and audition it with different speakers and you will know what to buy.

your second question has already been answered by many

Pramod
Thanks for the advice pramod.

Where am i now:
Still (re)searching on diff options for rears. Will visit EVO soon (this time just for the information lolzzz).
Old 20th August 2010, 10:24   #22
Senior - BHPian

Nice work there, quadra and satya.

Yes, more pics of the install please.

But....
Quote:
I too listen to radio pretty often and would certainly want to do something to increase the audio quality. Everytime i honk, radio sound weakens.
Why??
Old 20th August 2010, 15:27   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Nice work there, quadra and satya.

Yes, more pics of the install please.
Thank u paaji & yes more clicks to happen soon.

AFAIK, when i honk maybe the horn decibel level effects the radio signals in someway or the other. I am running the radio without an antenna, maybe thats causing weak signals in the first place...
Old 20th August 2010, 16:16   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank u paaji & yes more clicks to happen soon.

AFAIK, when i honk maybe the horn decibel level effects the radio signals in someway or the other. I am running the radio without an antenna, maybe thats causing weak signals in the first place...
radio signal may also be depended on the HU as in my case the volume goes down by a few bars usually in radio when compared to a CD being played.
Old 23rd August 2010, 18:32   #25
BHPian

Quote:
radio signal may also be depended on the HU as in my case the volume goes down by a few bars usually in radio when compared to a CD being played.
To enhance the radio, will install an antenna soon. Hope the audio improves.
Old 28th August 2010, 22:53   #26
BHPian

Phase 2 complete

...have been digging info on help with phase 2 of ICE & it just got complete. Yes, Phase is officially complete now.

Front kickers were getting boring with stock HU & the itch to listen to good audio was getting worse. Office would soak up the weekdays (best for install) and personal chores consumed the weekend. The only thing constant was that i had to go to EVO to get my queries answered...everything around that - was dynamic & crazy.

Finally a tiny bank work made me visit MG road and i knew this is my chance to sneak up & get things in place. Few lies later (after the bank work) i was at EVO

Vented out as soon as i met satya. Since the budget was a constraint, i could not go for amp + sub + rear + HU. I had to cut down on money but not the bass (or base).

I wanted GTO948 rears but satya advised that they would be too bright for the setup i had. Fair enough, i said and asked for options. Boston sxi was the reply.

Satya ordered the MDF board to be made and in the meanwhile wiring work to be started.

Just as the guy was taking boston out of the shop for install, i asked (just of the damn curosity..again) "so, whats the next best option ??"

Satya (to his guy): Stop & he FROZE with boston in his hands
Satya (to me): Kickers DS but i would suggest boston for your setup.
Me: Ok lets do it.

Install completed & it was time for some testing.

Went In with the installer, and he inserted the demo CD, played the first song, the first beat, the first base & i was like (in a good way). The diff was massive. This was the base (or bass) that i was looking for (to being with atleast).

Next came a punjabi number (kala chasma) & i was jumping with excitement.

Went inside to meet satya to tell him how happy was i to hear the setup.

Satya:(in a a very normal mood) I need to do some testing still. Lets check it out

We went inside, after few mins of testing, satya said the best sentence i could possibly ask for "it came out better than i expected" (now you know how i was feeling)

Came back home with windows slightly rolled down (yeah yeah show off..i know).

Other details later - pics to follow - thank you staya - thank all whom i bugged for this setup.
Old 31st August 2010, 11:08   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...have been digging info on help with phase 2 of ICE & it just got complete. Yes, Phase is officially complete now.

Front kickers were getting boring with stock HU & the itch to listen to good audio was getting worse. Office would soak up the weekdays (best for install) and personal chores consumed the weekend. The only thing constant was that i had to go to EVO to get my queries answered...everything around that - was dynamic & crazy.

Finally a tiny bank work made me visit MG road and i knew this is my chance to sneak up & get things in place. Few lies later (after the bank work) i was at EVO

Vented out as soon as i met satya. Since the budget was a constraint, i could not go for amp + sub + rear + HU. I had to cut down on money but not the bass (or base).

I wanted GTO948 rears but satya advised that they would be too bright for the setup i had. Fair enough, i said and asked for options. Boston sxi was the reply.

Satya ordered the MDF board to be made and in the meanwhile wiring work to be started.

Just as the guy was taking boston out of the shop for install, i asked (just of the damn curosity..again) "so, whats the next best option ??"

Satya (to his guy): Stop & he FROZE with boston in his hands
Satya (to me): Kickers DS but i would suggest boston for your setup.
Me: Ok lets do it.

Install completed & it was time for some testing.

Went In with the installer, and he inserted the demo CD, played the first song, the first beat, the first base & i was like (in a good way). The diff was massive. This was the base (or bass) that i was looking for (to being with atleast).

Next came a punjabi number (kala chasma) & i was jumping with excitement.

Went inside to meet satya to tell him how happy was i to hear the setup.

Satya:(in a a very normal mood) I need to do some testing still. Lets check it out

We went inside, after few mins of testing, satya said the best sentence i could possibly ask for "it came out better than i expected" (now you know how i was feeling)

Came back home with windows slightly rolled down (yeah yeah show off..i know).

Other details later - pics to follow - thank you staya - thank all whom i bugged for this setup.
Which HU did you go for? a little break up on the dent in the pocket? pics waiting.
Old 31st August 2010, 20:59   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Which HU did you go for? a little break up on the dent in the pocket? pics waiting.
Sorry i think my above post was running its way.

For clarity - i added rear 6x9 Bostons only.

Current setup
Front comps - Kicker 4"
HU - Stock
Rears coax - Boston 6x9

Pics coming soon
Old 1st September 2010, 13:29   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quadra, a picture speaks louder than words. Congrats on your install.
Old 2nd September 2010, 00:41   #30
BHPian

sorry for the delay fellas, here are the pics:

A.C vents removed
Spark ICEd at EVO-image0024.jpg

HU removed
Spark ICEd at EVO-image0025.jpg

HU Rear
Spark ICEd at EVO-image0026.jpg

Backseat had to be removed for cabling
Spark ICEd at EVO-image0027.jpg

Clamps