Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2005, 01:25   #1
BHPian

JBL Setup for OHC

I am planning to install Audio system for my OHC , I had visited today JBL showroom in inorbit mall this is what the sales guy recommended me
JBL GTO 936e (6" * 9" 3way 300 w RMS) for rear
JBL GTO 506Ce (5.25" Component Set 165 W) for front
JBL CS 50.4 (4 CH AMP, 80W rms* 4,110W rms *2 Bridged)
JBL GTO 1200B 12" SUB with enclosure

is this setup O.K ? one more option he gave me that to use amp only for the subwoofer and connect other spk directly to the player

With so many brands in market(Sony,blaupunkt,Pioneer,kiKker, which will be good option , It should play MP3 ,Wma,and i want to connect my ipod to it too,
So audio gurus, needed ur input, suggestions
Old 31st October 2005, 01:35   #2
BHPian

If you are surely going in for a sub and amp, you do not need the 6x9. Just get some 5 inch or 6 inch coaxials for the rear fill.

Using the amp for all channels would be better since the signal to noise ratio will be high and you will get better sound.

All HUs are generally okay but the Pioneer is iPod ready.
Old 31st October 2005, 01:51   #3
Senior - BHPian

firstly the 936 are 100 W rms and they peak at 300 W.

as vivek said if you are definitly going in for a good sub there is no need for 6X9 speakers as the recquired bass will be supplied by the sub.instead if you budget permist go in for a set or components for the rear to or otherwise just get good 6 inch speakers to fill in.

i think 6 inch components should fit in the NHC so if budget permits think about those.

it would definitly sound better if you use an amp for the speakers as well.you will need a 4 chan amp for that.and for your sub youll need a 2 chan amp or a monoblock.are you sure you want the 12 inch sub and not the tube.hear both before you make your decission.the 12 inch in an eclosed sealed box will definitly sound more defined and richer than a tube.

i would suggest a pioneer hu.most models are ipod compatible.is you dont really need a bill and warranty then go in for pioneer.

Rev

Last edited by revtech : 31st October 2005 at 01:53.
Old 31st October 2005, 02:18   #4
Senior - BHPian

CS 50.4 is not designed to run subwoofers. It goes in to protection mode quite quickly. So consider another amplifier, possibly mono-block to drive the subwoofer. I do not recommend components for the rear, as your treble should come from the front imo, its better for sound stage.
Old 31st October 2005, 02:18   #5
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

well for a starters i would say go for a alpine 9830 or 9833..they are the best u can get in the market..if not the pioneer uumm i dont remember the model numbers, i think its the p1y or something or the 7750..all these HU are really worth the money u invest on them..so check out these..well as u havent mentioned about ur budget i would say go for the 506 ce components in the front and for the rears pls dont use the 936's..instead get gto 636e the 6'' coaxials as these are to be used only as fillers..as far as the amplification goes its advisable to amplify all the speakers and the sub..so either get a 4 ch amp (i.e is the cs50.4) to run the components and the rears and a 2 ch or a mono ( gto 301.1 at 13k) to run the sub..this will sound really good and will rock ur car..or else look for cheaper alternatives in the amps department in alpine,these amps that is the alpine MRP-240(4 ch) & 320(5 ch) are the best in the business and they come at a nice price too..
if u dont want to invest in two amps then u better not go in for the CS 50.4 amp..its not that good at driving a sub..get the GTO 75.4 at 16k or still better the alpine 4 ch and use two ch to run the components and bridge the other 2 ch to run the sub..the rears will be fed to the HU's amp..as far as the sub is concerned its in a sealed enclosure so will surely give u the tight and punchy bass..if u need boom boom then tube is the way to go..but that will take up the whole boot space..
i suggest u also look at other brands too like alpine,hertz(not sure if ul get to hear it in bombay),blaupunkt too..and then decide what ur ears perceive it to be the best..

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 31st October 2005 at 02:20.
Old 31st October 2005, 02:47   #6
Senior - BHPian

I personally suggest refrain from the Alpine head unit. At least my experience with them has been really bad, the 9833 head unit is so friggin complicated that I havent still figured it out. It doesnt allow you to reduce the treble easily, rather you have to play with cross over settings to get the ideal sound. There used to be an era when Alpine was way ahead in the game, however off late it seems by that their quality is going down. Dont go for Alpine HU for the KISS factor. Pioneer makes some decent HU's, search around!
Old 31st October 2005, 02:56   #7
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem
I personally suggest refrain from the Alpine head unit. At least my experience with them has been really bad, the 9833 head unit is so friggin complicated that I havent still figured it out. It doesnt allow you to reduce the treble easily, rather you have to play with cross over settings to get the ideal sound. There used to be an era when Alpine was way ahead in the game, however off late it seems by that their quality is going down. Dont go for Alpine HU for the KISS factor. Pioneer makes some decent HU's, search around!
well i certainly dont agree to that..well the alpines might seem to be a bit complicated in the beginning but comeon aseem a few days of sitting with the HU should get u accustomed to it unless ones a big nut...and btw how often do we change the settings,once set its never tinkered around for quite sometime(atleast i dont) and u always have ur manuals to guide u thru..if u still cant manage it even after a couple of weeks then u aint fit to be using alpines lol !!!! but the sound they give is too hard to miss out on specially if u have the dough for it..if i can afford one now i would certainly go the alpine way..and nothings complicated,its just ur mindset that makes it complicated..
Old 31st October 2005, 03:02   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885
well i certainly dont agree to that..well the alpines might seem to be a bit complicated in the beginning but comeon aseem a few days of sitting with the HU should get u accustomed to it unless ones a big nut...and btw how often do we change the settings,once set its never tinkered around for quite sometime(atleast i dont) and u always have ur manuals to guide u thru..if u still cant manage it even after a couple of weeks then u aint fit to be using alpines lol !!!! but the sound they give is too hard to miss out on specially if u have the dough for it..if i can afford one now i would certainly go the alpine way..and nothings complicated,its just ur mindset that makes it complicated..
I dont consider myself a big nut, but I still havent figured the Alpine out. Mc Laren have you played with an Alpine head unit? I too was a big fan of Alpine and even recommended the head unit to mood, however he regrets the head unit big time now. Since I dont own it, therefore I havent spent as much time as I would have liked.... but come on, you dont have to press some 4 or 5 buttons just to get the treble right in my opinion. Sometimes you need to change settings between songs to songs, and frankly speaking in my opinion Alpine is a pain. Rest of course I am sure once setup correctly it must sound good, it has a good reputation.
Old 31st October 2005, 03:13   #9
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem
I dont consider myself a big nut, but I still havent figured the Alpine out. Mc Laren have you played with an Alpine head unit? I too was a big fan of Alpine and even recommended the head unit to mood, however he regrets the head unit big time now. Since I dont own it, therefore I havent spent as much time as I would have liked.... but come on, you dont have to press some 4 or 5 buttons just to get the treble right in my opinion. Sometimes you need to change settings between songs to songs, and frankly speaking in my opinion Alpine is a pain. Rest of course I am sure once setup correctly it must sound good, it has a good reputation.
well aseem dont take it too personal but that was a genaralized statement..yup have played around with both the alpine 9830 and 9833 was actually planning to buy the 9830 but overshot my budget a long way and so had to be contented with the pioneer..and i never felt the alpine to be as complicated as u have made it out to be..well i was at ease for sure..but i still stand by my quote if u can offord one certainly go for it as the sound the alpines give is worth IMO..it all depends on ones mindset as i mentioned earlier..
Old 31st October 2005, 03:21   #10
Senior - BHPian

No offence taken Mc Laren. However I was just trying to highlight my experience with Alpine, and it doesnt generally generalize it for others. Like in your case, you were able to figure it out. But Ford needs to know about everyone experiences with the head unit so that he can make an informed decision. Thats the whole idea behind these forums, we are here to discuss and highlight our experiences and knowledge. We might differ at times, but thats quite natural. Peace
Old 31st October 2005, 10:40   #11
Team-BHP Support

I use the Alpine 9830 and 9833 with ipod 60GBs on each deck. The 9833's dual line display is a big boon. I might upgrade my wife's 9830 to a 9833 if I can find one today. if you are using an ipod with an Apine get the 9833.

The 9853 and 9855 replace these models today but I have heard that there are some small issues with these models.

The issue with the 9853 and 9855 models goes as follows:
If you power off these HUs without ejecting the CD the CD refuses to eject later on. This seem to happen only when internal amps are being used.

If you are using the internal amps this can be circumvented by not connecting the ignition to the HU this waythe Hu always has power even when ignition is switched off. The flip side to this work around is that someone can accidentally turn on the HU ne leave it on draining the battery.

Lastly the alpines do have a slight learning curve. However the flip side is that once their parametric EQs are set you really dont have to tinker with them. You can even program some presets and use them i you feel you need one EQ setting for your CDs and another fro FM or your ipod.

The Alpines require a KCA420i ipod adapter that retails for about 6-7K. THis allows your HU to control the ipod and for the ipod'd display to be replicated (albeit in a limited manner) on the HU. If you have an Alpine changer (CHS 634S) you will also require the KCA 410C to enable the HU to control the changer and the ipod. The HU treats the ipod as a changer. My wife's car has the 634 and an ipod and she has no problem chossing source (FM, Disc, Changer 1, Changer 2).

Most 4 channel amps are really designed to run 4/3/2 speakers and not 5 speakers (4 speakers + Sub). All have impedance or current limiting protection, maybe JBL 50.4's protection is more sensitive than say that of the Sony 504. In any case you should either get 5 channels of power or use the HU's internal amp to run the rear speakers (6" coax).
Old 31st October 2005, 17:02   #12
BHPian

Thanks a lot guys for the info , As far as head unit is concerned i am still confused about it, i have narrowed down to these two head units,
Pioneer P7750MP & pioneer DEH-P1Y, now the dealer says that DEH-p1y is ipod adapter ready and more powerful than P7750 but pioneers official website doesnt says anything about ipod ready, but P7750 is ipod adapter ready but less powerful than P1Y,
the dealer also said that ipod adapter for Pioneer head unit has not come in market yet, so where do we get it ? and Which head unit should i settle for? Pls Help...... as i want to install these things tomorrow

I am not going for SUB at the moment but going for JBL GTO 936e Rear & GTO 606Ce Component for front. Any other recommendation or suggestion, most welcome.
Old 31st October 2005, 17:13   #13
Team-BHP Support

FR, you should get an amp as well.

Sam (our resident audio guru) loves Pioneer. He has one in his eyeballer which is his demo car. I think it is the P1Y. Since you are getting JBL (also on the eyeballer) you mgiht as well get the same HU it has.

Then again it might be because the Alpine has a slight learning curve. :-) LOL Just kidding Sam.

Last edited by navin : 31st October 2005 at 17:16.
Old 31st October 2005, 17:33   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin

Sam (our resident audio guru) loves Pioneer. He has one in his eyeballer which is his demo car. I think it is the P1Y. Since you are getting JBL (also on the eyeballer) you mgiht as well get the same HU it has.

Then again it might be because the Alpine has a slight learning curve. :-) LOL Just kidding Sam.
Can ipod be attached to p1Y? Which Amp will u recommend ? is it really necessary?
Old 31st October 2005, 18:44   #15
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin

well the HU running on the eyeballer is certainly not the P1Y..its a premier ( i know its pioneer itself marketed in few places as premier) HU model number DEH-P930..i suggest u go in for the P1Y..its a really good unit..and will mate well with the JBLs..as far as the amp is considered u certainly might need one..well check out the alpine MRP-F240 (1st preferance),JBL GTO CS 50.4,pioneer 6100 and the blaupunkt 4 ch amp to run the 606's and the 936's..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks