Team-BHP - Bringing a car audio from Abroad
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   In-Car Entertainment (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-entertainment/)
-   -   Bringing a car audio from Abroad (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-entertainment/8387-bringing-car-audio-abroad.html)

Need some advice. Does it make sense to bring a car audio package from US for installation in a car to be purchased in India? Or can you buy it in India for an equivalent price? Do units purchased in US fit in Indian cars? Is there a standard size? I don't want to spend more than $200 on this. Also should I buy speakers in US?

Thanks

if at all about the only thing that makes any sense is the HU.

> if at all about the only thing that makes any sense is the HU.
What does this mean?

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldmobile
> if at all about the only thing that makes any sense is the HU.
What does this mean?

navin means to say if at all u do want to bring something from the US then just pick up a good HU from there as u have almost all of the worlds major speaker brands(RF,LA,focal,soundstream,boston name it) selling here in india at a good price..more over no jhanjhat from customs u see..but here we dont get a wide variety when it comes to HU's..

I bought my Jeeps CD headunit from the States, and its working just fine. Compatibility is not an issue at all.

However, the radio frequency range is different between Indian and American head units.

GTO

You can get the HU or an amplifier, anything which is not bulky.

Most cars in India have a Single DIN sized slot and few a double din size slot on the dashboard for the HU. Depending on your car's size you can buy the HU from the US as there is a larger variety to choose from.

Dont bring speakers, you can get them in India.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO
However, the radio frequency range is different between Indian and American head units.

GTO

hhhmm..thats another point to be noted..bcoz the frequency range of the americans is different to that of the europeans(which we use in india)..

@oldmobile, although I am not an admin in TBHP, let me point out something;

- You should have mentioned the brand and the model number(s) of the car audio which you are thinking about to bring in into India.
- You should have also mentioned the model of the car which is the target of the installation.

No flame intended.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mclaren1885
hhhmm..thats another point to be noted..bcoz the frequency range of the americans is different to that of the europeans(which we use in india)..

cant u switch the freq. range like we can do in some home audio units?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkdas
cant u switch the freq. range like we can do in some home audio units?

well the american frequencies are odd in the sence its like 91.1 etc whereas the europeans have even frequencies..remember reading about this somewhere but not sure about it..navin would know about it..btw where is he..i think they might have a option to select the frequency range manually,if so then it shouldnt be such a problem i guess..

i think this topic came up in this forum sometime abck.

u have to do it manually. maybe some jabs on the remote or HU .. i mean ther would be some sequence...

You can switch Alpine HUs from the front channel. I wrote a long post about this before.

this is the super short abriged version:
US: FM freq 0.4 Mhz apart below 92Mhz and 0.8 Mhz apart above 92Mhz. starting with center freq 87.9 and ending at 107.9Mhz. The origin of this lie in legacy. orignally commercial FM stations were alloted only freq above 92Mhz (called channel 221-300) and channel spacing was speced at 0.8Mhz. Today thanks to over crowding these regualtions have been relaxed in some markets (the FCC works in strange if consisent ways). In theory the US stations can be 0.2 Mhz apart from 87.9 to 107.9 but these rules are not used unless there is sever overcrowding or multi-ligual broadcasts (like along the Mexican border). Anyway what you need to know that ALL commercail US FM stations have a odd center frequecy starting at 87.9Mhz and ending at 107.9Mhz.

EU: FM freq. changes from country to country. In general their channel spacig is 0.1Mhz apart starting from 87.5Mhz and ending at 108Mhz. So in the EU the stations will have odd and even FM channels. Commercial and non commercial FM stations followed the same broadcast rules with few govt/military exceptions.

Japan: 76-90Mhz

USSR: 66-74Mhz (today only Russia, Hungary, Belarus, etc.)

Guys, I did get one from US and as Navin rightly mention it selects only odd freqs... I want help on whether there can be some firmware or other alteration that can make my Sony fx7700 accept all freqs..

i have a sony cdx7500which i brought frm germany. it works fine with fm and since i am not a radio guy, i am yet to check the am channels. does your one works fine with fm?

There is no firmware upgrade that i know of for Sony, Pioneer or JVC. Alpine's firmware upgrde does not include this feature but Alpines dont need the firmware for this they allow the user to choose.