Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2010, 00:58   #1
Senior - BHPian

How to Time align Kenwood 7016 for Fiesta

Hi everyone,

I just bought a Kenwood 7016 ( as you might have seen in the UTV Techtree). Now the issue is that i am not able to get the perfect image from it till now. I had been using Pio 6850 till now and I find a lot of difference in terms of sound from a Pio and a Kenny.

I feel that a Kenny is more happy with Midbass and high FQ rather than Low FQ. I mean to say that now after having installed Kenny HU, I feel that the my ID sub is not that audible than what it used to be when it was being played with Pio. Now what I mean to say is that I don’t feel that PUNCH that used to get from a Pio before.
However I feel that the Sub jells well with front comps now than before but that is only because of Time align.

Is this something that needs a change in the Amp settings? I mean do I need to set the Amp at higher settings for the SUB to get that PUNCH?

Lastly, With the Time Alignment thing, I am not able to get the perfect combination. Can anyone tell me the right setting for DTA for Ford Fiesta? I have been trying a lot (wasting Diesel) to get the best but still not getting it right.
Frank I know you have been using DTA for a long time in your Ford, so I would really appreciate if you can guide me with the settings that I need to keep to get the best. The Kenny have the DTA settings in CMS so I would appreciate if you can tell me what would be the best (in your opinion) to set the system in CMS.

Last edited by nitinralli : 24th June 2010 at 01:01.
Old 24th June 2010, 02:08   #2
Senior - BHPian

You have to set the gains again when you change the HU.

If you are using passive crossover don't fiddle much with the fronts for now. Just play with SUB alignment and see.

Also set the gains again on the amp with TA OFF!
Old 24th June 2010, 16:07   #3
BHPian

@nitinralli
And I thought I was the only one. I spent countless hours trying to tweak DTA to my taste thanks to the confusing DTA setup on the Kenwood X794 HU. The manual will manage to confuse you even more.

So finally, decided to start from scratch and I trusted my ears.
Here's what you can try.

1) Switch the subwoofer/rears off from the HU
2) Go to Position -> DTA -> Manual Mode
3) For the right front speaker, feed a value of 0.52 ft

Increase/Decrease this value to set the sound image at the spot you want. The reason I recommend manual mode is because the presets kind of set the values to extremes and the sound appears to be artificial. 0.52 feet worked perfect in my Alto, the image is dead center over the dash.

For the subwoofer, I'd recommend you don't use the DTA/Position settings. Instead Kenwood offers better options if you explore the Advanced settings in the Audio Setup.

Didn't get time to experiment with the rear speakers yet.

P.S. (Before experimenting with DTA, I recommend an extended listening session with headphones. A track that has both centered and surround vocals will work great)
Old 24th June 2010, 19:54   #4
BANNED

I used a tailors tape and fed in the length in cms for each set up i.e front , front left , front right and all.In the advanced vehicle setting i fed in the distance between the frontL and R speakers and rear L & R speakers. Seems to be working for me .(But i donot know whether this is the best ).
Old 24th June 2010, 20:43   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelord View Post
@nitinralli

And I thought I was the only one. I spent countless hours trying to tweak DTA to my taste thanks to the confusing DTA setup on the Kenwood X794 HU. The manual will manage to confuse you even more.

So finally, decided to start from scratch and I trusted my ears.
Here's what you can try.

1) Switch the subwoofer/rears off from the HU
2) Go to Position -> DTA -> Manual Mode
3) For the right front speaker, feed a value of 0.52 ft

Increase/Decrease this value to set the sound image at the spot you want. The reason I recommend manual mode is because the presets kind of set the values to extremes and the sound appears to be artificial. 0.52 feet worked perfect in my Alto, the image is dead center over the dash.

For the subwoofer, I'd recommend you don't use the DTA/Position settings. Instead Kenwood offers better options if you explore the Advanced settings in the Audio Setup.

Didn't get time to experiment with the rear speakers yet.

P.S. (Before experimenting with DTA, I recommend an extended listening session with headphones. A track that has both centered and surround vocals will work great)
Well i just went and did what you suggested. What i did is in the preset mode, i have kept the position as ALL. Then with DTA, i fed front Right with 1.04ft (32cm). I seem to feel that the sound now is somewhere near the front middle scetion of the dash board. However i am not sure if thats the best i can get out of the DTA.
I didnt find anything for the woofer settings other than the DTA so i tried to pull the woofer in to around 100cm (both the woofer as i only have one woofer and am not sure which one to correct, so did both).

One question now, Do i need to feed in anything to Left front speaker too or just keep it at zero?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trust_In_Thrust View Post
I used a tailors tape and fed in the length in cms for each set up i.e front , front left , front right and all.In the advanced vehicle setting i fed in the distance between the frontL and R speakers and rear L & R speakers. Seems to be working for me .(But i donot know whether this is the best ).
Where do you go in Advanced vehicle setting to feed in this info which you did? I also did a measurment with the tailor tape and fed the CMs but i was not happy with the image. Infact i used to get tired of listining in few minutes. I knew something was wrong hence started this thread.
I just did few changes to the settings as explained above. Will now have to listen to it for some time to see if its ok.
Old 26th June 2010, 16:47   #6
BANNED

There are two settings :
1.) Audio < Position < Preset (Select each position and enter value in cms in DTA).
2.) Audio < Detailed Set Up < Car type fine adjustment (Enter distance between front L&R speaker and same for Rear L&R ).
Old 27th June 2010, 02:54   #7
BHPian

What the lord suggested is exactly what I had done in my fiesta. Its been close to 6 months now and I havnt quite figured out a better setting.

Trust your ears more than anything. Whatever suits you the best.
I know its a pain listening to the same song over and over again. Try some fast track. It might help.

Most Viewed