Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2010, 09:18   #1
BHPian

Need input on following ICE equipment

Fellows and Gurus

Need some quick input on some ICE equipment that is on sale on a local used goods selling website (Free Classifieds | Buy, Sell, Jobs, Property & More | Gumtree Sydney). Equipment on sale are:

Soundstream PCX4.360 Picasso Series 4 Channel Amplifier (owner Paid $250)
Pioneer 12" TS-W302R Subwoofer (Owner paid $130)
Pioneer 6.5" Component Split Speakers (Owner $219)
Pioneer 6.5" 3 Way Speakers (Owner paid $82)

This gentleman is asking for $450 (Aussie $) for the whole lot and price is negotiable. Everything is still in box or just out of the box but never installed.

I had been thinking of upgrading ICE in my car but for one reason or another I couldn't. Now came across this deal & found it tempting. I like listening to Hip-Hop & R&B music.I have no prior experience with soundstream stuff. So fellas, is it any good. Is it worth buying and capable of an SPL setup? All feedback appreciated.

Mods: I initially thought of posting it in Product discussion but end up posting here as I don't want lengthy discussions on it rather a quick feedback. If you still feel its in wrong section, please do the needful.

Regads
Punzabi.

I deleted the other post. - Navin

Last edited by navin : 24th June 2010 at 10:02.
Old 24th June 2010, 10:06   #2
Team-BHP Support

After you import them here and pay duties the price will go up another 30%.

For 20K you can get 4 JBL/Blau THx speakers, 10-12" subwoofer and Kenwood/Pioneer/JBL 4 ch. amp.
Old 24th June 2010, 10:28   #3
BHPian

Thanks Navinji for quick reply. Sorry for the confusion I caused by not mentioned that I live in Auss (in Adelaide). Does that advert sound like a deal or should I just stay away from it. I am a kind of bass junky, so would the combo produce a thump? Thanks in advance..

P.S: Also I'd like to mention that original prices (paid by the owner) mention in my original post may sound overpriced. Unfortunately everything in Australia is overpriced.
Old 25th June 2010, 11:05   #4
Senior - BHPian

Sounds like a good deal, just don't expect too much out of it. Will be far better than OE stuff. How good is subjective - you will have to listen to it and compare yourself. Soundstream is not an unknown brand.

What system do you have currently?
Old 25th June 2010, 11:42   #5
BHPian

Thanks DerAlte, at the moment I have stock set-up which I'd say sounds good (above average). I have blau 520 single disk player and four 4" compos two in front and two in rear (you read it right compos not speakers). An Ice upgrade is way long overdue but couldn't go ahead due to too high equipment and labour cost in local market (in Adelaide). Sorry for going off topic, a couple of months ago I got a quote for an entry level Pio HU, RF compos, RF amp and RF sub for about Aud $3000 including minor damping (none of these are bling-bling stuff, just average equipment). There is a serious lack of ICE enthusiasm here, so is the availability of equipment. I believe that's why prices are so high.

Sticking to my original question, is this combo capable of pumping out Bass? I am after an SPL setup.

If I buy the equipment I mention in my original post, I'd buy an HU and do the damping myself and get the car electrician do the rest (cabling and installation). That's how I can keep the cost low.

Regards
Punzabi
Old 25th June 2010, 16:56   #6
Senior - BHPian

1. You need not change the HU if there is a Pre-out to feed the amp
2. I assume you will use 2 channels of the amp to drive the front compos, and bridge the other 2 channels for feeding the sub
3. Even if you have 1 Pre-out, it will be fine for this arrangement by using a Y-splitter cable to feed the 2nd pair of channels of the amp doing sub duty
4. There will be sufficient thump since you are putting in a sub. Tweaking the HPF (front channels at amp) and the LPF (sub channels) to adjust the thump from the mid-bass. SPL setup it won't be (come on, that is a different subject), but you will be able to go sufficiently loud
Old 26th June 2010, 05:57   #7
BHPian

Many thanks for your inputs D.A. In reply to your suggestions:
1. Its a stock HU and I have to find out if theres a Pre-out available (I believe there won't be).
2. That's correct, amp would be going on bridge mode.
3. Keeping my fingers crossed.
4. Thanks for the tweaks, will do this. And pardone my ignorance regarding SPL. Seems like I need to spend more time on forum to get myself educated.

regards
Punzabi
Old 28th June 2010, 12:09   #8
BHPian

Thanks gentlemen for your assistance, the deal is done and I have equipment in my possession. Will post questions as I start putting the ICE togather, as of now I am little busy in moving house. But one question though, how would this sub (Pioneer 12" TS-W302R 800watt) sound better? In ported or sealed box?

Thanks
Punzabi

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks