Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2010, 23:03   #1
Senior - BHPian

Have you ever played full volume of your ICE? Ever??

Frankly whenever I see people discussing about ICE and when I see those who have installed huge speakers in thier car I only ask one question to myself.

Do people really enjoy all that stuff that they spend on?

My car has a pioneer audio installed in it. No additional speaker, no tweeter etc. The only time when I play around 75% of the volume is when I do Chennai Bangalore trips. It is at this time that we lower the glass of the car and play peppy songs at 80% volume, (in fact it will be even 70%). This itself sounds loud to us, and loud enough we enjoy it thoroughly, sparing the amused look that the cars/ bikes passing us give sometime. This kind of experience cant be had in Chennai traffic, nor can we play more than 40-45% volume with windows raised.

I have a friend of mine who has spent decent amount for speaker/ woofer in his Swift, the sound system is surely good but he cant afford to play it beyond 30% of it alloted volume. He says even this volume he will not be able to play when his parents are around. There is no point in it, I thought.

So here is my question, for all those who spend good amount, have you ever made the fullest enjoyment of your ICE fitments (I mean the audio part).
Have you been to play to its full capacity.
How do you define enjoying it.
How do you justify those investments when even the stock ICE is not utilized fully in most of the cases.

I am sorry if these questions have hurt someone, I am not being sarcastic. I am just trying to educate myself.

Mods: I thought this to be appropriate forum to raise this question, pl move it to right location if not.
Old 25th June 2010, 23:30   #2
BANNED

Its a little bit immaturish for a person like me.

But each one has a different taste, so good luck to you

Last time my car was played at 80% volume, my sony 4-ch amp xploded and who did that- TATA A.S.C guys. They got carried away seeing the Big MB-Quart sub-woofer at the rear.

I always play it at 15% to 25% volume, thats music to my ears.
Old 25th June 2010, 23:43   #3
BHPian

during outdoor parties i have made use of my system upto about 70-80% volume levels. when am in the car, it doesnt make sense to me beyond 20%.
Old 26th June 2010, 00:02   #4
BHPian

Sometimes i play a couple of tracks at 100%volume but only when i am not driving and some friend wants to test my system...

I listen to a few songs at 80% -90% level when i m alone... Most of the time it plays at 30% volume....

But i really enjoy when the roads are empty, i m alone and the volume is at 80-90% level....
Old 26th June 2010, 10:28   #5
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for your viewpoint guys,

My question is more oriented towards asking, does it really justify spending so much of ICE when you dont even utilized 50% of its installed capacity.
Old 26th June 2010, 10:54   #6
Team-BHP Support

I don't think the amount spend on I-C-E has got anything to do with Volume level/s.

I shall spend as much as i can to hear Summer of '69 and Principles of Lust as crystal clear as possible which a cheap speaker/head-unit combo can't ooze out.

Last edited by Sheel : 26th June 2010 at 10:55.
Old 26th June 2010, 11:00   #7
BHPian

+1. I would play at max 15-20% of the volume. I am happy with my i10s stock unit perfect for me.
Old 26th June 2010, 11:13   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
Thanks for your viewpoint guys,

My question is more oriented towards asking, does it really justify spending so much of ICE when you dont even utilized 50% of its installed capacity.

SQL necessarily doesnt get measured only at high volume levels. At every level the quality should be tangible. I have seen that most of the aam janta measure sound quality from the low freq thumps, even if the mids are playing at distorted levels !
Old 26th June 2010, 11:45   #9
BHPian

Quote:
For a true music fan the capability of the system to reproduce the sounds, as real as possible as if he is sitting next to the singer and hearing in person, is the hallmark of a good system. Volume levels have no meaning for this user. You spend more and you get more naturalness.

Some think having a system which has more effect 'boom boom' is what defines the ultimate quality and spend a fortune on that. They will never be able to truly enjoy it as you mentioned, because your ears tire after a few minutes of listening to such artificial effect at high volumes. It helps only if you plan to use your car as a 'mobile discotheque'.
Old 26th June 2010, 13:01   #10
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by s3va View Post
SQL necessarily doesnt get measured only at high volume levels. At every level the quality should be tangible. I have seen that most of the aam janta measure sound quality from the low freq thumps, even if the mids are playing at distorted levels !
Quite true.

I spent a fortune in importing MBQuart components / co-axials and Subwoofer out of Germany just for the quality of sound they emanate.

But i feel its not necessary to go beyond 30% volume to get the true feeling of the sweet crystal clear music they give out.

Its perfect at 15 - 30%, beyond that i am only spoiling them, and my hard invested money.
Old 26th June 2010, 13:51   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood View Post
For a true music fan the capability of the system to reproduce the sounds, as real as possible as if he is sitting next to the singer and hearing in person, is the hallmark of a good system. They will never be able to truly enjoy it as you mentioned, because your ears tire after a few minutes of listening to such artificial effect at high volumes. It helps only if you plan to use your car as a 'mobile discotheque'.
I totally agree with you guys, in fact that is what I have been trying to put across, why do people put so much around just for the boom boom effect.

But even with regard to clarity as mentioned by @Daewood, I am still thinking.
I would like to know with the NVH levels of most Indian cars would it justify to pay a premium price for a crystal clear sound, with it playing at only 30% of its capacity you wont feel the distinct ching kinda tweets anyway, on indian roads.
Given the fact that most of the time we spend in bumper to bumper traffic. Frankly it wont make much difference I feel.

It would make lot of difference if you are hearing it at the parking lot.

Last edited by xingamazon : 26th June 2010 at 13:55.
Old 26th June 2010, 14:28   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK
Last time my car was played at 80% volume, my sony 4-ch amp xploded and who did that- TATA A.S.C guys.
You should thank them.
Old 26th June 2010, 14:29   #13
Senior - BHPian

For your Question on Utilization:

There are two aspects to consider: Loudness and Sound Quality.

Loudness is measured in db. This is Quantifiable. This is what non-ICE guys mostly look to. If i go in City, i play at 30% volume. If i go in highway with windows down i play at 70% volume.
So, for someone who predominantly drives in city the Utilzation seems to be low.

But this is only one side of the equation.

Sound Quality (SQ) is the other aspect. Unlike Loudness, has many parameters factored onto it. Also, there is a lot of subjectivity involved that you just cannot measure this like you have measured the Loudness.

Most ICE freaks (incl me) are into SQ. We spend huge sums not for blaring out while driving, but to hear pure, clear and punchy sound.
For us music can only be heard like that. I personally wont exceed more than 40%-50% of volume (city or highway).
You just cannot formulate a utilization percentage here.

And for your question on " have you ever played full volume of your ICE? Ever??"

Its Never
Old 26th June 2010, 14:49   #14
BHPian

Quote:
I would like to know with the NVH levels of most Indian cars would it justify to pay a premium price for a crystal clear sound, with it playing at only 30% of its capacity you wont feel the distinct ching kinda tweets anyway, on indian roads.
Given the fact that most of the time we spend in bumper to bumper traffic. Frankly it wont make much difference I feel.

The clarity you mention is something you get in a perfectly insulated room with no external noise. What i meant is 'naturalness' like how you hear voices in a real world. In a real world(speaking to someone or listening to a singer sitting next to him) there is external noise as well but the naturalness is 100%.

To achieve that 25% volume or 9'Oclock position is, more than enough.

Guess i'm not able to pen down that in my own words.
Have sent you a PM with a link to a good writeup about it.

Last edited by Daewood : 26th June 2010 at 14:55.
Old 26th June 2010, 14:55   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
I don't think the amount spend on I-C-E has got anything to do with Volume level/s.

I shall spend as much as i can to hear Summer of '69 and Principles of Lust as crystal clear as possible which a cheap speaker/head-unit combo can't ooze out.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood View Post
For a true music fan the capability of the system to reproduce the sounds, as real as possible as if he is sitting next to the singer and hearing in person, is the hallmark of a good system. Volume levels have no meaning for this user. You spend more and you get more naturalness.
True.

Quote:

I own an SX4. People say that they feel as if the outside world is on mute once they sit in the car and close the doors. I am sure many other cars are sound proofed as well as my car , if not better.

A better sounding music system can be appreciated in such cars. I do hear the music at the parking lot. It helps me not to get bored while waiting in the car at a shopping mall for my wife to return.

Murthy

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks