Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2010, 22:39   #1
BHPian

Getting the Safari VX - Want to upgrade - Need to make sure it looks stock.

Finally, after waiting for years and years (4 years to be precise) in trying to arrange for Vitamin M to acquire the Safari, my VX 4x4 is currently being manufactured by Tata and the expected date of delivery is 2nd week of August.

I have heard and read on the forums that the stock speakers on the Safari leave a lot to be desired and an upgrade is recommended to attain acoustic nirvana.

I hear a lot of Bollywood music and am more inclined towards classics from Mohd. Rafi and Lata Mangeshkar. New songs are heard when wife is in the vehicle. I currently use my father-in-law's Indica Vista which was purchased on the 25th May, 2010.

Now my dilemma. If there is anything which does not look stock in the Safari, my wife will kill me by depriving me of food at home. I have anyways overshot my budget by couple of lakhs and if I tell her that I have spent more on the upgrades, I will be history. Therefore, I cannot upgrade the stock HU and cannot install a sub-woofer (for atleast a year). So the only thing I can change will be the speakers and that too will need to be installed in the stock locations. Also, it is absolutely imperative that I don't void my warranty.

I have not decided on the budget yet but I am keeping an upper limit on the budget to about 20k.

I will get this done at Guwahati when I visit the city for work so that I also ensure that my wife does not get to know the changes.

So gurus, please suggest what I should get. If I get the brands and models I can install, I will get the quotes when I am in Guwahati next week. Will update here so that the best configuration can be decided upon. I am aware that JBL is available in Guwahati and am not too sure about other premium brands. I am not too sure if damping has to be done and if it is required, I can get it done too but will have to inquire about the availability of the same at Guwahati.

So please overshoot my budget and make me happy.

Also, once I get this done, I may come here again to get the stock speakers upgraded on her i20 which again is slated for delivery in the 2nd week of August so that people don't accuse me of being selfish.
Old 7th July 2010, 23:23   #2
BANNED

Sumit,

Congratulations on your dream car

The Stock Safari speakers are good, even the Kenwood HU gives out crisp music.

If you are not going to change the HU and not using an Amp presently.

DONT DO ANYTHING ON THE ICE. leave it as it is, the Music Setup is great enough.

Stock up the money for over a year and later take a plunge.

One year later, what ever you do now would have become out-dated, you might have to replace them all over again.

Better avoid it NOW.
Old 8th July 2010, 04:51   #3
BHPian

I thought Safari's come with Alpine HUs as stock! Doesn't JK's ride sport one?
Old 8th July 2010, 10:43   #4
BHPian

The SAFARI VX comes with Alpine HU and speakers as stock,these are really good I can say and especially since you listen to the classics would be good enough for you. And as Pavan says you could try these speakers first for a while and then if you still dont like them change only then otherwise the present one's are good enough.
Old 8th July 2010, 10:51   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Sumit,

If you are not going to change the HU and not using an Amp presently.

DONT DO ANYTHING ON THE ICE. leave it as it is, the Music Setup is great enough.

Stock up the money for over a year and later take a plunge.

One year later, what ever you do now would have become out-dated, you might have to replace them all over again.

Better avoid it NOW.
Thanks for the advice Pavan. I will live with the stock ICE and give it some time. If needed, I will upgrade. Wife will be happy and I won't have to 'cheat' on her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by josepeter View Post
I thought Safari's come with Alpine HUs as stock! Doesn't JK's ride sport one?
The Safari VX does indeed come with Alpine HU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie4u View Post
The SAFARI VX comes with Alpine HU and speakers as stock,these are really good I can say and especially since you listen to the classics would be good enough for you. And as Pavan says you could try these speakers first for a while and then if you still dont like them change only then otherwise the present one's are good enough.
Point taken Sir. Thanks.
Old 14th August 2010, 18:00   #6
BHPian

Hope you have the Safari in your garage by now. What's your first drive plan.
Old 14th August 2010, 18:05   #7
BHPian

Hope you have the new Safari in your garage by now. What's your first drive plan.
Tomorrow is a good day as roads would be nearly empty.
Old 2nd June 2011, 14:37   #8
BHPian

Re: Getting the Safari VX - Want to upgrade - Need to make sure it looks stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Sumit,

Hi Pavan, could you please specify what stock speakers does Safari VX use? I am guessing that they have Alpine components in front and co-axial in rear. Am I correct? The Alpine HU (DVA9861E) coming with VX is a good one. Do you by any chance know the model # of the speakers? If yes, I'd be great if you can share that mate.
Old 2nd June 2011, 18:31   #9
BANNED

Re: Getting the Safari VX - Want to upgrade - Need to make sure it looks stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofgondor View Post
Hi Pavan, could you please specify what stock speakers does Safari VX use? I am guessing that they have Alpine components in front and co-axial in rear. Am I correct? The Alpine HU (DVA9861E) coming with VX is a good one. Do you by any chance know the model # of the speakers? If yes, I'd be great if you can share that mate.
I am using that HU on my M-800, and i am really happy with that, VERY CRISP

Presently i am Running Sony DVD1000 HU that runs my 5 screen Car theatre set-up.

My Safari Dicor ICE set up is something like this.

1) Sony DVD1000 DVD player for the HU
2) MB Quart Components for the front
3) MB Quart Co-ax for the Mid row.
4) MB Quart 12" Sub at the rear
5) Sony 4 channel Amp
6) Mirror mounted 7" screen for Rear View and sometimes Video 2
7) Two Headrest mounted screens for the mid row seats
8) Two Headrest mounted screens for the rear (Might add a playstation later)

About the speakers i am really not sure what brand they are....
Attached Thumbnails
Getting the Safari VX - Want to upgrade - Need to make sure it looks stock.-imag_1077.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks