Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2010, 21:31   #1

Wagon R - ICE Simple but Nice!

This is my ICE story one that is not very awe inspiring but oh how very satisfying for me.
I bought my first car a pre-owned Caribbean Blue Wagon-R. It came with a JVC- KW- XC404 head unit, some model JVC speakers facing each other on the walls of the boot and 4" stock placement Sony speakers. Well you could say the sound was anything but satisfying. There was jarring and crackling which could give anybody with any respect for music a headache. The moment i got my hands on my new ride off i rushed to rectify the injustice that my ears were being subjected to. Since I had just been working a year or so most of my hard earned cash went to pay for the car loan. That left me with pretty little to get a decent sounding setup. I went to Elegant in lajpat nagar and got myself JBL - GTO 947s on the rear tray and JBL- GT5 S204 in the stock locations.
Well music was now quite good but the more i went through T-BHP forums the more i realised i wanted more, not too over the top but definitely more.
After some 7 months of thought i decided to get to the next stage. I decided on DRIVEN in east of kailash this time after reading about the satisfied experiences of other BHPians. Went and met Mr. Rana last Saturday and fixed up an appointment for Sunday afternoon. I decided to chuck the front 4 inch 204s for JBL 608c components on the front doors, Also decided to go in for a JBL GT5- S644 amplifier.

When i reached at 2:30p.m work was already goin on in two cars which gave me a nice long wait at Driven (made easier by cold drinks, chilled water and chatting with Mr. Rana) at last around 5:30 work on "my ride" started. Went on till around 10:00 in the night. The sound setup was now much sweeter though a little bright in the front. The speakers were all working harmoniously and i had a bright smile on my face when i reached home at 10:30. Sat for an hour tuning it to my tastes reduced the Hi's, increased the lows, brought the sound stage a bit to the front and felt at peace with the world.

Setup
JVC KW- XC404 (HU)
Front: JBL GTO 608c components - Rs 4100/-
Rear: JBL GTO 947 (rear tray) - Rs 4500/-
Amp: JBL GT5 S644 - Rs 5900/-
Amp wiring kit: Scosche - Rs. 2200/-
MDF rings - Rs 400/-
Extra wiring - Rs 700/-

Next stage - Sub. Any suggestions to match with the GT5 amp? Something not too expensive around 4 - 5k. I listen to hip-hop, rock and a bit of everything else.

Installation pics at DRIVEN
Attached Thumbnails
Wagon R - ICE Simple but Nice!-1.jpg  

Wagon R - ICE Simple but Nice!-2.jpg  

Wagon R - ICE Simple but Nice!-3.jpg  

Wagon R - ICE Simple but Nice!-4.jpg  

Wagon R - ICE Simple but Nice!-5.jpg  

Wagon R - ICE Simple but Nice!-8.jpg  

Wagon R - ICE Simple but Nice!-9.jpg  

Wagon R - ICE Simple but Nice!-11.jpg  

Wagon R - ICE Simple but Nice!-12.jpg  

Wagon R - ICE Simple but Nice!-image0434.jpg  

Old 16th July 2010, 22:33   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Vinay,You must be feeling the adrenaline rush now right?

Congrats on a very sensible upgrade.

I have been using the same HU for close to five years and rate this one of the most rugged units around - except that the HU amp isn't anything great .

Enjoy Man enjoy :-)
Old 17th July 2010, 02:16   #3
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations. Appreciate if you can post the pic of how the rear tray is being mounted on the boot with the speakers on it. I'd the same setup & it damaged my boot, anyway, mine was a poor job & after which I decided not to have the rear tray as it was so much of nuisance. How about you? Do you feel the necessity sometimes for not having the rear tray?
Old 17th July 2010, 02:22   #4

Thank you. The HU is nice except that it skips sometimes over bumps. I am enjoying it but I am aching to add a Sub to the setup most probably a JBL GT5-S12 by next weekend. Thats when the adrenaline rush is going to kick in.
Old 17th July 2010, 03:08   #5

@aargee : I usually do not need much boot space as i dont travel a lot hence the tray is not a liability unless relatives have to be picked up from the airport. I will put up the pics as soon as i can. The tray is prone to rattling it is bolted on to supports which have been drilled and attached to the side panels of the boot.
Old 17th July 2010, 07:16   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Congratulations. Appreciate if you can post the pic of how the rear tray is being mounted on the boot with the speakers on it. I'd the same setup & it damaged my boot, anyway, mine was a poor job & after which I decided not to have the rear tray as it was so much of nuisance. How about you? Do you feel the necessity sometimes for not having the rear tray?
One of the greatest strengths of the OWR(Old Wagon-R) is its boot space.So I wouldn't advise a tray at all.

Trust me,you'll be fine with 6*9s with 17mm spacers on the side panels in the boot.I have travelled in a friend's Wagon-R for 6 years and the SQ was pretty good with this set up.

The OWRs of 2002-03 used to come with reclining rear seats - this feature will not be affected with the above mod.
Old 18th July 2010, 23:07   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Congratulations. Appreciate if you can post the pic of how the rear tray is being mounted on the boot with the speakers on it.
This picture shows how the tray is bolted to the side supports. Two sided tape has been shoved in the gaps to try and keep the heavy tray from rattling.
Attached Thumbnails
Wagon R - ICE Simple but Nice!-vin0438.jpg  

Old 24th July 2010, 00:10   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinay85 View Post
Next stage - Sub. Any suggestions to match with the GT5 amp? Something not too expensive around 4 - 5k. I listen to hip-hop, rock and a bit of everything else.
I had been planning the next stage i.e the sub as something in the future but well my loving girlfriend decided to pool in money along with a few friends of mine for the sub as an advance birthday gift.
So started the hunt for the perfect sub one that would make my heart go boom. I had decided on the GT5-S12 but surprisingly found out both from Elegant and Driven that it has been discontinued. There went my plan A. Now plan B unfolded i went to Elegant heard a Rockford Fosgate Prime series sub (8.5k), a Kicker ES sub (8k) didnt quite like what i heard. The Kicker was in a ported box and kicked hard but not to my liking.
Well i paid 200 bucks to the Elegant guys for rewiring the rear speakers from the HU and the Sub from the amp and moved on to Driven to hear Bull audio and JBL CS1215 (the only JBL under 10k in a number of shops i enquired in) well Mr. Rana was very nice and first put Bull then JBL for my listening pleasure. I was just not feeling what i was expecting they were both in a sealed enclosure which i found did not seem to suit my tastes. Then i asked him how a ported enclosure would sound as against the sealed. Well he put in a 12" Rainbow Cyclone and there it was, the sound and feel i was looking for in a sub. It was like love at first "THUMP" i was able to feel the bass even at low volumes. Sounded nice and clear where i wanted it to and boomed when i felt it should have boomed. I heard " Lets get it started" - black eyed peas, "Angel" - shaggy, "Party Starter" will smith, boulevard- Green Day, "Whiskey Lullabye"- Brad Paisley, "Woofer Amplifier" - Imran Khan. Put it through a sample of songs i listen to and it felt good, way way better than the others i heard.
Well so then i thought what the heck, i would have spent money on a sub anyways so why let my gal and firends buy what i wanted when i was sane, rather why not add what i was going to spend to what they wanted to give and get something much better. He he end result i drove home with the smile of a maniac plastered on my face. Booming and booming again. Bought the Cyclone 12" (comes in a ported enclosure) for 11.4k with B&W.

12“ Cyclone ESW
Part-No. 231583
Type ported
Peak power 600 Watt
In car / SPL max 138 dB
Impedance 4 Ohm
No. Of Speakers 1
Speaker Type / LS-Typ 12" Cyclone
Volume
Reflex-Port 3" Aeroport
Weight 16 kG
Dimensions (LxWxH) 51 x 32 / 18 x 40

Too Dark to get the real pictures so for the moment off the net
Attached Thumbnails
Wagon R - ICE Simple but Nice!-sub.jpg  

Old 24th July 2010, 08:29   #9

Pics updated.

Final Setup
JVC KW- XC404 (HU)
Front: JBL GTO 608c components - Rs 4100/-
Rear: JBL GTO 947 (rear tray) - Rs 4500/-
Amp: JBL GT5 S644 - Rs 5900/-
Amp wiring kit: Scosche - Rs. 2200/-
Sub: 12" Rainbow Cyclone (300-399 Watt RMS) - 11400/-

If possible could the moderators rename the thread to " Wagon R - ICE Simple but Nice! now with BOOM BOOM POW" Thank You.
Attached Thumbnails
Wagon R - ICE Simple but Nice!-vin0445.jpg  

Wagon R - ICE Simple but Nice!-vin0448.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks