Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2010, 09:31   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniqueMods View Post
n the ICE sections, budget always gets overshot. Consider this your warning, don't blame me for my suggestions later.

UM
I know it very well. This happened to when I started with the ICE upgrade. Initially I had a budget of 15K but things went out of my control when I visited the shop and it went to 25K. Not sure what its gonna be this time.
Old 21st July 2010, 10:24   #17
Senior - BHPian

1. 3-way components are rare, and cost much more than 2-way components
2. Amp is better under the front seat - better chance of ventilation

@UniqueMods, in your amp location there is poor ventilation (it may not have tripped so far, but why take a chance) because of the sub and the top being covered by the rear 4" speaker location. Maybe you could move the sub to the other side of the boot - just a suggestion. Despite the risk of the midbass getting kicked while entering or exiting the car, your set up looks neat and very practical.
Old 21st July 2010, 10:49   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post

Is it not advisable to place the amp in the boot ??
Old 21st July 2010, 11:12   #19
BHPian

If you are a real music enthusiast and like sit in the front seats, then go for comps powered by the amplifier and let the Co axials powered from the HU. Mostly women don’t like high volumes and they will ask to reduce the volume as it’s too close to their ears and they like to chat rather listening music on the way. So in effect despite being powered from an Amp your ICE will sound handicapped because of this sacrifice. You can pump up a moderate volume at front and the sound stage will be nice with comps and at rear will be filled with subtle.

A vertical mounted Amp will dissipate the heat more efficiently than a horizontally mounted one as the heat sink fins are designed like that. As Deralte said its bit congested in terms of enough cooling. May be you are not pushing the volume to its max and hence it’s not tripping. I am on the same setup but the Amp mounted vertically on the other side just opposite to the Sub woofer.

Last edited by sajjt : 21st July 2010 at 11:13.
Old 21st July 2010, 13:13   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repsol View Post
Is it not advisable to place the amp in the boot ??
Under the passenger seat, gets the benifit of AC cooling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
1. 3-way components are rare, and cost much more than 2-way components

@UniqueMods, in your amp location there is poor ventilation (it may not have tripped so far, but why take a chance) because of the sub and the top being covered by the rear 4" speaker location. Maybe you could move the sub to the other side of the boot - just a suggestion. Despite the risk of the midbass getting kicked while entering or exiting the car, your set up looks neat and very practical.
3way components are expensive, that the reason iam still using co-ax.

Noted. Didn't think of that, Thanks.
In the last 1 yr the speakers haven't been kicked or damaged (not even the delicate grill), so I am ok with the width projecting out form the door panel.

Thanks for the appreciation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajjt View Post
If you are a real music enthusiast and like sit in the front seats, then go for comps powered by the amplifier and let the Co axials powered from the HU. Mostly women don’t like high volumes and they will ask to reduce the volume as it’s too close to their ears and they like to chat rather listening music on the way. So in effect despite being powered from an Amp your ICE will sound handicapped because of this sacrifice. You can pump up a moderate volume at front and the sound stage will be nice with comps and at rear will be filled with subtle.

A vertical mounted Amp will dissipate the heat more efficiently than a horizontally mounted one as the heat sink fins are designed like that. As Deralte said its bit congested in terms of enough cooling. May be you are not pushing the volume to its max and hence it’s not tripping. I am on the same setup but the Amp mounted vertically on the other side just opposite to the Sub woofer.
Lucky for me, my better half sits in the passenger seat is also into good quality ICE.
Sub will be moved to center for more ventilation.

UM
Old 21st July 2010, 14:37   #21
BHPian

Quote:
If you are a real music enthusiast and like sit in the front seats, then go for comps powered by the amplifier and let the Co axials powered from the HU.
Infact i am also planning the same way..

But friends, I have a new concern in my mind now. As you know that I already have 400W coax in the rear and planning to get a pair of comps with at least 300-400W for front, would I land up draining my battery. If yes, then what can be done to prevent it ??
Old 21st July 2010, 15:15   #22
BHPian

Those figures are mostly marketing gimmicks. (Pioneer and Sony especially)
Don’t go by these figures, always listen to them, check if they distort at high volumes (that a person can listen too without going deaf).

Unless you’re running a 1-2 amp and a 1 mono block with 2 or more subs, you will not drain your battery or need a capacitor.

UM
Old 26th July 2010, 22:20   #23
BHPian

Guys, I have checked a few component speakers for the front stage. I have noticed that the set has 2 speaker, 2 tweeters and a pair of small box called cross-overs. Can anyone tell me what this thing is and what it does. Does it serve the purpose of an Amp?
Old 27th July 2010, 11:34   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Guys, I have checked a few component speakers for the front stage. I have noticed that the set has 2 speaker, 2 tweeters and a pair of small box called cross-overs. Can anyone tell me what this thing is and what it does. Does it serve the purpose of an Amp?
Comps are coming like that, 1 pair of Mid range speakers and tweeters with Cross overs. You need all three to get the optimum performance provided you should have an amp. Mid range speakers will produce nice bass but if you need good thump then go for Sub woofer along with this . Without a sub woofer the ICE is incomplete.
Old 27th July 2010, 11:50   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Comps are coming like that, 1 pair of Mid range speakers and tweeters with Cross overs. You need all three to get the optimum performance provided you should have an amp. Mid range speakers will produce nice bass but if you need good thump then go for Sub woofer along with this . Without a sub woofer the ICE is incomplete.
@sajjt : I do have a Sub and a 4-channel amp which is powering the rear coax and the sub. I was just thinking of getting a pair of comps for the front. Just wanted to know certain details. As I saw that the speakers and tweeters are connected with the Cross-Overs, does that mean that the cross-overs are then powered by an amp. What is the basic use of cross-over? and what is better option - connecting the cross-overs with the amp or without the amp ??
Old 27th July 2010, 12:01   #26
BHPian

Quote:
@sajjt : I do have a Sub and a 4-channel amp which is powering the rear coax and the sub. I was just thinking of getting a pair of comps for the front. Just wanted to know certain details. As I saw that the speakers and tweeters are connected with the Cross-Overs, does that mean that the cross-overs are then powered by an amp. What is the basic use of cross-over? and what is better option - connecting the cross-overs with the amp or without the amp ??
To get the optimum performance from Component speakers you need to connect the cross overs to the amp and from the cross over you can give the connections to each pair of speakers and tweeters. The terminals are clearly marked on the cross over for easy connection. Cross overs is just distributing the right signals to each speakers to get the fidelity.
Old 27th July 2010, 12:46   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Component speaker crossover only splits the sound frequency into high range connected to the tweeter and mid/low sound range conneted to the mid range/bass speaker. you can also control tweeter brightness from the crossover.

you can connect the comps crossover to either the amp or the HU(if you dont have a amp).
its better to connect the comps to the amp and the rear 6x9 to the HU .

UM
Old 27th July 2010, 13:43   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Component speaker crossover only splits the sound frequency into high range connected to the tweeter and mid/low sound range conneted to the mid range/bass speaker. you can also control tweeter brightness from the crossover.

you can connect the comps crossover to either the amp or the HU(if you dont have a amp).
its better to connect the comps to the amp and the rear 6x9 to the HU .

UM
Thanks UM for the suggestion. Can you also tell me how much will be the difference between the sound quality if crossovers are connected with the HU rather than connected to the Amp ? I feel that if it is connected to the amp, then the sound is more powerful than when connected to the HU. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Old 29th July 2010, 10:58   #29
BHPian

If your components are connected to the HU and your 6x9 connected to the amp, your rear sound stage will over power the front and you will feel the sound coming only from the back 6x9.

Components speaker should be connected to the amp to utilize its SQ and sound stage potentials.

UM
Old 29th July 2010, 21:11   #30
BHPian

Quote:
If your components are connected to the HU and your 6x9 connected to the amp, your rear sound stage will over power the front and you will feel the sound coming only from the back 6x9.

Components speaker should be connected to the amp to utilize its SQ and sound stage potentials.

UM

Thanks buddy. Will get that done and update soon.

Most Viewed