Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2010, 08:30   #1
LNG

Audio in TV less costlier than car audio?

Folks, I have a TV with 1200 W PMPO audio system with a woofer provision. The latest series in that model is "LG 21FD5WGE Color TV" and the current LG recommended pricing is at Rs. 10500/- odd (dealers give more discounts generally). I bought the same 3 yrs back for Rs. 13500/-.

I am really impressed with the audio quality this TV offers even without pushing it to the extreme decibels. Now that I am looking for a decent ICE setup for my Ritz, a thought came in my mind and I wanted to open up some discussion here on that.

An example configuration of a car ICE :
1 DIN HU - 6.5K - 8K (B&W), 190W round coaxials for front and 260 W co-axials for the rear (door installations) is on average costing me about 11 - 14K

But this TV that I am talking about is giving out a picture tube, video electronics, tuners, audio system, connecitvities etc for just 10.5K.

A quote from the TV add:
"A masterpiece is here, sit back and relax to enjoy a massive output of 1200W coming out of 8 speakers"

On the other hand DVD players are available in the market that can read USB and still priced at 2.5K onwards (Philips for ex).

Having put forth all these, I am wondering why we car owners are getting looted by ICE manufacturers. Is it because of an assumption that one who can afford to buy a car would not mind spending on accessories like ICE? Or is it just that the competition is not as ripe as in the TV market where manufacturers reduce cost to be competitive?

Also to the Audio experts in this forum: I suppose it should be possible for one to re-use TV speakers in Car as well. By re-use i mean refurbished TV parts i.e speakers. Me no expert, can you guys educate me on this please?

Chrs
Gopinath
Old 1st August 2010, 13:21   #2
Senior - BHPian

@LNG, that would be like comparing pyjamas with trousers. Both cover the legs, but differ completely in usage, cost, and most importantly in the perception of associated quality.

- Sound in normal broadcast TV is low bandwidth in transmission itself. Video is the primary objective, audio serves only to complete the program. TV audio bandwidth is much less than that encoded in DVD programs, where the objective is a complete experience - video, audio that can support spatial resolution etc. TV audio components hence need to be just good enough to reproduce what is transmitted, and can be optimized for cost. DVD audio, as associated with home theater (not even CD-based home "hi-fi", though increasingly home theater is catching up), is correspondingly costlier

- ICE can only be compared with at worst home theater, or at best "hi-fi" where the need for quality is much, much higher. And high quality comes at a high cost in everything, right?

- With that logic, it is not advisable to use low-quality TV components for listening to in a car, even if they can be practically mounted. However, human mind works in different ways - if someone wants to do it, there is nothing to stop them!
Old 1st August 2010, 13:33   #3
BHPian

Can you carry your TV in the car and play music on it too?BTW where would you place it? Just kidding.Like Deralte said its a wrong comparison. Even in the car audio segment there are options starting from a few 1000s to a few 100,000s.
Old 1st August 2010, 21:12   #4
LNG

Folks, thanks for all your comments. It was indeed educating.

Though I agree with you guys on the TV Audio quality part as an overall thumb-rule, I am not sure whether that still holds good offlate. Anyways, I just thought of sharing my opinion, may not be right though, in here. But something in the back of my mind keeps telling me that ICE can still be priced reasonably.

Well as DerAlte had rightly put, there is no limits to thinking .
Old 2nd August 2010, 12:11   #5
BHPian

and point to note is that how much vibration and pollution your TV audio can take and sustain? where as the ICE can resist the vibration and pollution and give a pleasing output.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks