Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2010, 19:42   #1
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Help! 20-25K ICE setup for Toyota Qualis.

Hi ICE gurus and everyone,

After around 6-7 years, we are now planning to upgrade the ICE setup in our Toyota Qualis. The current system is a JVC VCD/MP3 player linked to the oval Pioneer speakers and a 12-inch sub-woofer and a Pioneer amp. The JVC system is too slow and takes a couple of seconds to change tracks/folders. The speakers too have become old and have lost all their sound quality.

We are now looking at replacing the entire unit (HU, Amp, speakers and LCD Display) and would appreciate your inputs on the best VFM system within 20k.

The Head Unit :
Am looking for the below features in the HU.
- MP3/DVD/DIVX player
- USB connectivity
- i-Pod connectivity

Speakers / Sub-woofers :
Which speakers should I go in for? I am considering Pioneer since they are supposed to be the best.

LCD Screen
Although the JVC screen has not given any problems till date, I would like to know what are the options available and at what price? Center mounted as well as headrest screens

Speaker / sub-woofer placement :
As you may know, the Qualis has a boxy design so any good speaker will not sound as great as it would in a hatchback. The only option would be to build speaker boxes but that would compromise on boot space (which I do not want to lose at any cost). So the speakers will have to be installed under the rear jump seats. Is there any other alternative way of installing the speakers to get the best effect?

Obviously the sub-woofer would need a box, but it can be easily removable if I need to use the jump seats.

To give you an idea of the boot space in the Qualis, here are some pics :

Help! 20-25K ICE setup for Toyota Qualis.-pic1.jpg

Help! 20-25K ICE setup for Toyota Qualis.-pic2.jpg
Old 4th August 2010, 10:26   #2
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
Speaker / sub-woofer placement :
As you may know, the Qualis has a boxy design so any good speaker will not sound as great as it would in a hatchback. The only option would be to build speaker boxes but that would compromise on boot space (which I do not want to lose at any cost). So the speakers will have to be installed under the rear jump seats. Is there any other alternative way of installing the speakers to get the best effect?

Obviously the sub-woofer would need a box, but it can be easily removable if I need to use the jump seats.
If you are looking a removeable sub why place them at the jump seats. You can place them anwhere in the rear and remove them when the jump seats need to be bought down.

There are a few shallow subs (Pioneer and Kenwood have one) that can be used for under seat install. These subs are not true subs in that they dont go down to 30Hz but provide a good alternative to no bass at all. Kenwood has them in 3 differnt sizes 8"/10"/12".

Subwoofers | Car Electroics | Kenwood Corporation

Pioneer USA - Shallow Mount
Pioneer USA - Shallow-Mount Subwoofers - More Information

JL and RE also make good shallow munt subs but these are not easily available locally and are expensive. I you have a relative coming from the US you can ask for one of these
JL Audio - Car Audio Systems
Old 4th August 2010, 11:55   #3
Senior - BHPian

I suppose the JL 13TW5 is the best but it also cost around 400$. The other good VFM money option could to get dual 8" setup with each in their individual corner. Infinity Ref860W or the Reaudio REX8 are good option. Along with JL Audio W3.
Infinity is better option at price with sensitivity of 91db, a smooth freq. response, handles 250w, is singal voice coild. Two of these could run at 2ohm.
And you could fit sealed .35cu.ft or .7cu.ft ported enclosure on either side below the Jump seat. Result well due to higher sensitivity on them they will be plenty load with 500W on them and can go down to 25hz.

I even head polk audio DB series which are well worth it for it's price.
For HU there are some good option from Kenwood you could look at.
If you could up your budget little bit, the system you could get will be well worth it.
Old 4th August 2010, 12:52   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invinsible View Post
Infinity is better option at price with sensitivity of 91db, a smooth freq. response, handles 250w, is singal voice coild. Two of these could run at 2ohm.
but are they shallow enough to fit under the seat?

BTW guys remember a sub means a good amp as well. A good amp will mean Rs. 7-10K atleast.
Old 4th August 2010, 13:41   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
but are they shallow enough to fit under the seat?

BTW guys remember a sub means a good amp as well. A good amp will mean Rs. 7-10K atleast.
860W has a depth of 131mm. Which means enclosure depth could be had at 5.25" with outer depth of 6.75". This is something I would want to try sometime in near future. They should be ideal for a ported enclosure and a good tuned ported enclosure will hold its advantage against this being in a sealed enclosure due to it's size and xmax limitation. The other good part is the sensitivity where most of the other 8" have it near 83db to 85,86db this one has it at 91db. Which means if we consider the 91db SPL at 6 feet distance without any cabin this could do anywhere close 109-110db SPL at listening position, and if ported against the sealed add another 3db, which is good.
Old 4th August 2010, 14:54   #6
Senior - BHPian

Even a normal sub will do. You could utilize the whole inside width of vehicle with a narrow wedge-shaped enclosure, vertical face towards the jump seats, and the rear slanted to match the rear seat back. If sub mounting depth is a problem, the mounting face could come out a couple of inches - just a matter of good carpentry.

Alternately, use the space below the jump seat with a squat box. If the mounting face dimensions are not suitable, slant the mounting face down or up (facing the rear seat).

Ovals can be mounted on the C-pillar. Search - @condor had mounted ovals in his Bolero / Sumo Victa in that position, and there are pics how he did it.

Last edited by DerAlte : 4th August 2010 at 14:56.
Old 4th August 2010, 17:16   #7
BHPian

qualis easily takes a 4" in front doors, i think even 6.5 can fit but the higher end came with 4" coax as stock in door. 6.5" in middle row. amps can be easily fitted below the middle row seat. woofer and speaker if reqd in rear can be put in a box.

in our qualis we have 2 components sets running off a 4 channel amp, and another amp for sub in rear. you can try 8 or 10" subs as they will easily fit in box below the side faced rear seat.

i've noticed in qualis and innova, it's better to have a set of speakers for every row... there's too much noise on long drives and others are not comfortable if you wish to increase the volume n you are sitting some place without speakers.
Old 4th August 2010, 17:44   #8
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks Navin / Invinsible - Will check out the Kenwood website.

DA : Mounting the speakers on the C-pillar will be too "in the ear" for the occupants and will look odd too. I'm planning to have the speakers mounted at the same place (below the seats). Enclosing them in a box would mean I will lose luggage space.

montyguru : Installing the speakers on the door would mean that I would need to cut the trim - which I dont want to. Is there any other way of mounting the speakers.

Quote:
i've noticed in qualis and innova, it's better to have a set of speakers for every row... there's too much noise on long drives and others are not comfortable if you wish to increase the volume n you are sitting some place without speakers.
Thats the exact problem that we are currently facing. On long drives, its not possible for the driver to hear any music since the speakers are in the boot. If the volume is increased, then it becomes too loud for the last benchers. Hence I'm looking for speakers in the front as well. Something that can be installed without messing up the interior trim. Options I have are :

1. 2 4" speakers enclosed and placed under the front seat. OR
2. 1 oval speaker enclosed and placed between the front seats. OR
3. BOTH (may be too noisy)
Old 4th August 2010, 23:02   #9
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Got the below quote from 2 audio shops this evening :

Help! 20-25K ICE setup for Toyota Qualis.-price.jpg

The Pioneer DVH-3190UB
Help! 20-25K ICE setup for Toyota Qualis.-pioneer.jpg
Old 5th August 2010, 11:44   #10
Team-BHP Support

V12
Pioneer3190 10K
JBL GT5 front and rear 8K
2 Kenwood 10" WPS 1000 shallow subs 10K
2 Pioneer 6400F / JBL 644 amps 12K
2 shallow speaker enclosures 2K
Damping Wiring and Install 5K
--------------------------
Old 5th August 2010, 13:17   #11
BHPian

i ve got speakers installed in the walls below the jump seats, installer cut the metal and installed it.
Old 6th August 2010, 12:41   #12
BHPian

There's no harm in cutting the trim, in fact i've also placed tweeters on the trim below the metal patti on top in the second row.

you can consider a jvc HU for dvd, divx, mp3, wav playback as well. connect two 4 channel amps... one amp drives 2 pairs of components for front and middle, the other drives a pair of component or coax in rear and operates sub in bridge mode.

alternatively, with a single amp, you can amplify components on most used seat... front or middle and put coaxials that run direct fr HU with one channel of amp for sub.

i would recommend components for front n middle row in the doors, rear since speakers will anyway go below the seat, you can use co-ax. you can have a neat install where they don't look odd and merge well, zyaada keeda hai toh get a fabric same as door trim and ask the shop to stick it to the mounting rings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
Thanks Navin / Invinsible - Will check out the Kenwood website.

DA : Mounting the speakers on the C-pillar will be too "in the ear" for the occupants and will look odd too. I'm planning to have the speakers mounted at the same place (below the seats). Enclosing them in a box would mean I will lose luggage space.

montyguru : Installing the speakers on the door would mean that I would need to cut the trim - which I dont want to. Is there any other way of mounting the speakers.

Thats the exact problem that we are currently facing. On long drives, its not possible for the driver to hear any music since the speakers are in the boot. If the volume is increased, then it becomes too loud for the last benchers. Hence I'm looking for speakers in the front as well. Something that can be installed without messing up the interior trim. Options I have are :

1. 2 4" speakers enclosed and placed under the front seat. OR
2. 1 oval speaker enclosed and placed between the front seats. OR
3. BOTH (may be too noisy)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks