Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2012, 19:57   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: How to ICE PreOwned Chevrolet Optra

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
No issues on availability of 5.25" components or coaxes. Where did you check?
In Delhi. A few shops around Lajpat Nagar. Also the complex opposite Hyatt on Ring road (behind what used to be the Coffee House).

Any brands you have in mind, which I could specifically check for?
Old 5th February 2012, 20:02   #17
Senior - BHPian

JBL, Infinity, Polk, Bull, Auditor, etc. You know the difference between a resourceful dealer and dumb one when he doesn't give such excuses - good ones are always able to get from the distributor. Order in the morning, get it in the afternoon type.
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2012, 20:08   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
JBL, Infinity, Polk, Bull, Auditor, etc. You know the difference between a resourceful dealer and dumb one when he doesn't give such excuses - good ones are always able to get from the distributor. Order in the morning, get it in the afternoon type.
Thanks for that info, DA. IIRC even some of the better known dealers didn't have it. Don't/didn't want to quote them, as I am not sure - been a while I researched that. From what I understood (and it is probably incorrect), 5 - 5.25 is not a popular size, hence most don't stock/import them it, even though the websites show them. Had that experience with Auditor. But maybe it is just the dealer.

Partly OT: Does anyone know of dealers in Delhi, stocking Auditors?
(I have had them installed in another car, but that dealer didn't have the 5.25 available).
Old 8th February 2012, 14:04   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
This may be late, but am updating anyway.

From what I saw/found out, atleast the current Optra Magnum has circular/eleptical protrusions from the door pannel, which fit in well onto the speaker edge. GM has done a good job here, with ample foam and to seal it well.

Shopkeepers would happily fit in bigger (6"+) speakers in that place with spacers, however, one may not get the desired effect, as the opening is only for about a 5"+ speaker. The air-space may not be sealed well enough. If one is not particular about the sound in the rear bench, it may not make sense to touch these.

Ideally, of course, one should get 5-5.25" speakers. However, they are not readily available.

If anyone has been able to source 5" - 5.25" speakers, please update here. Components or Coaxials.

BTW, do audition Auditor speakers. I was impressed with the quality to price ratio of those. They do have a 5.25" line, but not sure if the India importer even gets those.

PS: Will be adding whatever I found on my ownership thread sometime, or maybe a new thread with a review etc of the Optra ICE and updates.
thanks for the info! I have decided on 5.25'' for the rear coaxs..
have already got the Clarion CX501 HU, will be getting the Infinity Kappas from the US in May..

where i stay, i'll never get a chance to audition all these properly. If you have done so, how would you rate the kappas against the others?

thanks..
Old 8th February 2012, 17:37   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish82 View Post
I think yes, those can be installed with spacers i believe. But surprisingly the stock speaker in the Optra has more bass than the newer we fit. So i left the rear door speakers as it is, but clarity is bad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudittandon View Post
Thats absolutely true. I have also left my rear speakers as stock on my Optra. Fine bass, they provide.

Time to check out the components you suggest for the front.

Just a word of warning on components in the Optra though -- I had JBL components on it earlier -- but because opening the tweeter socket is just a flick of a key, some !#!@#$ valet or service station stole the tweeters! And I didnt realize it until much later, and now I cant identify when or where I lost them... Aargh.
You guys are right on the bass the stock speakers generate. Very very surprising and they look like normal cone speakers. I got a pre owned Optra Elite 1.6 and it had a Sony Stereo with stock speakers. I had changed the front speakers Sony components which I bi-amped and the surprising part is there was no need for a spacer, Optra comes with a plastic like spacer which fitted the speakers perfectly well. Did not change the rear speakers. Planned for a complete ICE change in few months time (finished my loan payment..yay!!)
BTW, the rear door can accept 6.5"? If yes, that's good news. But I never noted anyone putting a 6X9" in the rear parcel tray, although there is lots of space. Any reason why? Is it due to the metal sheet cutting? I wanted to put a sub but my wife is afraid that may affect the hearing of my 1 year old baby, so why risk it and make them tense! That's why I thought of the 6X9" speakers, if possible ofcourse, for reasonable bass (and disconnect the rear door speakers)
Old 8th February 2012, 19:35   #21
BHPian

personally, i didn't want to mess with the rear parcel tray, so the 6x9 are out of the question..
i think u could get decent bass for your requirement with the 5.25", as you don't wanna pump it up.. could just consider punchier speakers in the same size range..
Old 10th February 2012, 00:41   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhaiyo View Post
f you have done so, how would you rate the kappas against the others?
2 Ohms
Kappas are 2ohm speakers. Which means that you will be getting more sound for similar rated (RMS) speakers. However, this also puts more load on the system (wiring and HU/Amplifier). It should not be an issue, but you may want to check with the gurus about this.

Have heard the cheaper reference range. Had had the kappas a while back IIRC, but don't recollect the experience enough to give an opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosh_aveo1.4 View Post
You guys are right on the bass the stock speakers generate. Very very surprising and they look like normal cone speakers. I got a pre owned Optra Elite 1.6 and it had a Sony Stereo with stock speakers. I had changed the front speakers Sony components which I bi-amped and the surprising part is there was no need for a spacer, Optra comes with a plastic like spacer which fitted the speakers perfectly well.
Good Bass

From what I understand, a lot of that good bass comes due to the well designed and implemented fitting in the Optra. It also has very good dampening in the doors (OEM). The doors become a well sealed and damped enclosure.

Quote:
BTW, the rear door can accept 6.5"? If yes, that's good news.
6.5" at rear?

You would be playing with the above mentioned fitting, if you put 6.5". I have dropped the plan for the very same reason.

Quote:
But I never noted anyone putting a 6X9" in the rear parcel tray, although there is lots of space. Any reason why? Is it due to the metal sheet cutting?
Why no 6"x9" seen in the Optra?

1. Sheet cutting.
2. Rods of the boot release pass through that space. Difficult to get a good and reliable fitting done without risking damaging those.
3. Other ways are possible (spacers OVER the tray etc), but unlikely to produce good clean sound. I think I have seen some pictures of this job being done. Probably on this forum, or some other Indian forum. Not recommended if you are particular about your sound, beyond getting the thump.

Quote:
personally, i didn't want to mess with the rear parcel tray, so the 6x9 are out of the question..
i think u could get decent bass for your requirement with the 5.25", as you don't wanna pump it up.. could just consider punchier speakers in the same size range..
ICE on Optra

I had done a bit of research for ICE for an Optra. Want to put it up properly in a new thread. Hopefully soon (have been away from the forum for a while, and have lots of catching up to do). Expect to remember to put up a link here, when I do that.
Poitive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th February 2012, 09:18   #23
BHPian

Informative thread for Optra owners. Thanks Poitive for pointing me to this. I was initially inclined at cutting the parcel tray to fit a 6X9, but now decided against it. Will check out Auditor and Blaupunkt and post my thought here.
Old 11th February 2012, 18:04   #24
BHPian

Quote:
2 Ohms
Kappas are 2ohm speakers. Which means that you will be getting more sound for similar rated (RMS) speakers. However, this also puts more load on the system (wiring and HU/Amplifier). It should not be an issue, but you may want to check with the gurus about this.

Have heard the cheaper reference range. Had had the kappas a while back IIRC, but don't recollect the experience enough to give an opinion.

Good Bass

From what I understand, a lot of that good bass comes due to the well designed and implemented fitting in the Optra. It also has very good dampening in the doors (OEM). The doors become a well sealed and damped enclosure.

ICE on Optra

I had done a bit of research for ICE for an Optra. Want to put it up properly in a new thread. Hopefully soon (have been away from the forum for a while, and have lots of catching up to do). Expect to remember to put up a link here, when I do that.
thanks for the info Poitive..

Have you seen the stock Optra speakers? Do you know what make or specs they are?

Looking forward to your Optra post as currently there is not much info on our forum regarding Optra ICE..
Old 11th February 2012, 18:30   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylvan View Post
Informative thread for Optra owners. Thanks Poitive for pointing me to this. I was initially inclined at cutting the parcel tray to fit a 6X9, but now decided against it. Will check out Auditor and Blaupunkt and post my thought here.
Welcome mate. Would look forward to your views. AFAIK, Blaupunkt has officially been out of the Indian market for a while now. However there are dealers who have old stocks lying around. They would be sold without proper official warranty, as there is no one there to back that warranty. Likely to be warm sounding speakers - something which may appeal after a bit of listening to someone who has been used to sharper speakers. But that is just an off hand view.

Looking forward to your views on both of 'em.

Quote:
thanks for the info Poitive..

Have you seen the stock Optra speakers? Do you know what make or specs they are?

Looking forward to your Optra post as currently there is not much info on our forum regarding Optra ICE..
Have seen the speakers. Had probably taken some pictures too. But that was when I was on that break from the forum and quite unsure if I would post them. Will look for them and put it up on the thread, when I pen it down. Isn't on the priority list - hope you aren't in a hurry mate. If yes, please PM and we can do the bare bones talk there.

Also, take the specs with a pinch of salt. You may want to read a bit about How to select ICE on this thread I got going here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ask-gu...icroscope.html

It is a mix of some serious views with some humour, so take it in that spirit. Been a long time, and that thread can provide so much more info, of the gurus add to it - as a sort of a good primer to further product discussions, on selecting ICE. Wonder why they are reluctant. Any clue @DerAlite (if you are reading this)?

Last edited by Poitive : 11th February 2012 at 18:31. Reason: Changing "pls" to "please" - avoiding sms lingo
Old 13th February 2012, 15:58   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Have seen the speakers. Had probably taken some pictures too. But that was when I was on that break from the forum and quite unsure if I would post them. Will look for them and put it up on the thread, when I pen it down. Isn't on the priority list - hope you aren't in a hurry mate. If yes, please PM and we can do the bare bones talk there.

Also, take the specs with a pinch of salt. You may want to read a bit about How to select ICE on this thread I got going here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ask-gu...icroscope.html

It is a mix of some serious views with some humour, so take it in that spirit. Been a long time, and that thread can provide so much more info, of the gurus add to it - as a sort of a good primer to further product discussions, on selecting ICE. Wonder why they are reluctant. Any clue @DerAlite (if you are reading this)?
thanks Poitive,
I did find your write-up useful for a noob like me.. a basic checklist of sorts..

regarding the speakers, i am inclined on getting the infinity kappas anyway, so no urgency there.. just wanted to know what the stock ones were..

cheers..
Old 15th February 2012, 11:11   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... Wonder why they are reluctant. ...
Who? How do you mean 'reluctant'?
Old 16th February 2012, 19:17   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
thanks Poitive,
I did find your write-up useful for a noob like me.. a basic checklist of sorts..

regarding the speakers, i am inclined on getting the infinity kappas anyway, so no urgency there.. just wanted to know what the stock ones were..

cheers..
Kanhaiyo, Am glad you found it useful. Also saw you starting a thread about the difference in Kappas and Reference. It may be a lot more helpful for you to put that question on the parked thread in the ICE section here -
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ask-gu...ing-new-q.html

Quote:
Who? How do you mean 'reluctant'?
Was just about more knowledgeable people not adding to the thread, to make it like some sort of a primer to selecting ICE. To cover the basics in one thread, with less clutter. And then, one could put up questions in the " Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus:" thread.

I should really have taken this point on PM, than put it up there. Will do so now.
Old 17th February 2012, 09:55   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Wonder why they are reluctant.
Quote:
Was just about more knowledgeable people not adding to the thread.
Poitive,

1. My knowledge about audio is limited - very limited. I am learning too. Yet I did participate on your thread even at the risk of making a fool of myself (as I explained via PM). There are many here (on TBHP) who are far more knowledgeable than either Der Alte or me. Der Alte and I are moderators not Gurus. There is a difference.

2. Hard data about specific components is hard to come by as few managzines publish data that would upset their advertisers.

3. The fundamentals of sound have remained the same over the last 50 odd years and most of the hard work was done by Kloss, Vilchur, and their contemporaries. DSP and 5.1/7.1 etc... have added new dimensions to these fundamentals but the fundamentals remain unchanged.

4. If there is a specific question, it is usually addressed on that member's thread as a technical issue might affect each member differently.
Old 17th February 2012, 17:49   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Kanhaiyo, Am glad you found it useful. Also saw you starting a thread about the difference in Kappas and Reference. It may be a lot more helpful for you to put that question on the parked thread in the ICE section here -
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ask-gu...ing-new-q.html
Thanks for your suggestion, will consider that.. but right now am also looking at a few more options besides the infintys, like the alpine R series, Polk MM, etc.

Will look to ask for advice there once i can narrow down on a few options.

Btw, any personal suggestions from your side for 6.5' comps with good SQ?
also, any for a 5-channel amp? i am considering the Alpine PDX-5.

@ Navin, Der Alte - Sirs, your suggestions would be highly appreciated as well..

thanks

Last edited by kanhaiyo : 17th February 2012 at 17:56.

Most Viewed