Team-BHP - Ferrari 328 GTS - ICE Install
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   In-Car Entertainment (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-entertainment/)
-   -   Ferrari 328 GTS - ICE Install (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-entertainment/8681-ferrari-328-gts-ice-install.html)

Hey Guys

My Ferrari ICE thread was deleted by the mods as they felt it was a repeat of the one I posted in the Supercars section. If you wanna drool at the car, go to the supercars section.

For you ICE freaks...

Original Head Unit... Pioneer DEX-M300 CD Changer Controller... an aftermarket install.

Pioneer CD Changer CDX-M100... this thing was like the size of a VCR. and built better than most Maruti cars.

Door Panel removed. See the stock ferrari speaker.

Stock speaker made in Italy by Autosonik, was surround-less. Was probably a foam surround and thus didnt stand the test of time.

Head Unit removed. See the newspaper stuffed in to make the HU fit... hehaha.

Here is the stock tweeter in the dash.

Tweeter grill removed

Tweeter removed. Seen here in all its glory.

New Hertz ESK165 component set going in... See the midrange going in.

Installed in the door. A snug fit...

Hertz Tweeter now installed in the stock location...

component set done...

Alpine 9843 used. Nice basic HU for approx 9K

Ace installer and ICE enthusiast, Mukul Rai Patel (of Patel Auto, New Delhi) at it with Jb (on the right)

HU installed...

Done...

Some interesting things about this install....

a. No subs, amps... Why? no space, keep it lightweight, KISS concept...

b. Bi-Amped... The HU's rear speaker output powers the mids while the front outputs power the tweeters... This can be done easily on the Hertz Dieci and Energy series components as the XOs for Mid and Tweeters are separate. So you can power them separately or together. Bi-Amping made the difference in this install as all the four drivers (speakers) ended up getting decent power. Also interesting was the fact that you can use the fader to control the tweet levels and blend the sound to your taste. MidBass was tight and punchy, the soundstage was wide and high, and sound was very impressive and involving. In fact, some folks who were invited for a listen were ready to lay bets we had hidden an amp somewhere.

c. The HU is running with the defeat ON. So no EQ or bass treble is possible. Why? cuz its not needed.

d. The car uses old school electricals. On one of the pics you can see a terminal strip like the ones used in home electricals. So no cutting or stripping of wires is really necessary.

All in all, a dream realised for us. As usual Jb put his best into the car and many thanks to the talented Mukul for his expert help.

Cheers

some work there, dude!
the new HU makes the dash look that much better! don't it?
well what to say, nice job :)
ak

wow thats a bloody ferrari with some quality music system in it finally..great job guys im not surprised whatsoever with ur efficiency after seeing JB's work on my car..some nice innovations there guys..well done..
PS : whats the similarity between this ferrari install and my car ???? guess guess !!!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by mclaren1885
PS : whats the similarity between this ferrari install and my car ???? guess guess !!!!!

alpine hu...!!!

binz

nahh....the components...

hey gunbir great work man.thats really impressive.keep it up.

Rev

Quote:

Originally Posted by gunbir

My Ferrari ICE thread was deleted by the mods as they felt it was a repeat of the one I posted in the Supercars section.

b. Bi-Amped... The HU's rear speaker output powers the mids while the front outputs power the tweeters... This can be done easily on the Hertz Dieci and Energy series components as the XOs for Mid and Tweeters are separate.

some of the advantages of biamping are not available with this config. since the amps use the same power supply if the mids need more energy the power supply will be hard pressed.

in reality this seems to be a cross between bi wiring and biamping. one of the biggest advantages of bi amping is the fact that energy sapping bass does not affect the mids and highs (where the ear is more ciritical).

in fact i was going to try this topology using EL34 PP (40W Class AB) and EL84 PP (10W Class A) on one chassis and using a comoon power supply (seperate OPTs though). Some have advised against this.

Navin the load is divided by using all the four channels of the Head Unit hence each driver is getting more power.

If a HU in most of the cars in India (with much bigger cabin space than a Ferrari) can run two pairs of full range speakers, and in many cases one of them is 6 X 9's then I guess in this case the HU is happy driving the set of mids and highs.

oh sure, JB the HU will be able to drive the 4 speakers. I dont disagree there. I just wonder if we can really call this biamping in it's truest sense.

Yeh kaise din aa rahey hain?
Sam installs pioneer and Gunbir installs alpine....

Yeh din dekhne sey pehle mere aankh kyun nahi phut gaye.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi

kya zamana hey !!!! now sams complaining of having installed a poineer in the eyballer lol: ..someone pls donate him a alpine HU(so that i can grab the P1Y)..hehe just kidding sam..
PS : seems u finally got the love letter eh sam..

Pioneer with bill and warranty was not justifying. So Alpine was the best available with Bill and warranty in India. And it goes with the car much better.

Hey Gunbir thats nice and neat work in that Ferrari.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi

Hey Sam...
We pretty much use everything that works well in the install, from Alpine, Pioneer, Kenwood, Clarion to Eclipse, Nakamichi and McIntosh. It has to gel with the customer, sound concept and the project as a whole.

I always tha sayz, the head units be matching tha cars, nots tha installers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gunbir
as a whole. I always tha sayz, the head units be matching tha cars, nots tha installers.

heheheh.... Nice thread, ride and setup :)

i'm sorry to detract.. it sure is a neat setup but the futuristic looking alpine certainly looks out of place among all of those dials and the expanses of italian leather. Is there no retro looking HU available? or how about something really simple and sober looking (P-80 perhaps)