Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2010, 13:02   #1
BHPian

Review/opinions needed for JVC KD R616

Today, I had been to check out on prices for ICE setup and during the course of discussion on head units, the shop owner showed me this (new model) JVC KD R616. JVC India website doesnt carry this model but is available on e-bay india for the Rs. 7650+150 shipping. Specs as below.

JVC KD R616
2 year warranty from JVC India
MRP: Rs 8990/-
Made for I pod
Works with I phone
2 way control for I pod
Over 30,000 colour variations
Front AUX Input
USB Playback
Ready for Bluetooth Adaptor
24 bit DAC
WMA/MP3 Playback
Steering Remote Ready
5V X2 RCA Pre outs/Sub W.Out

This guy stressed the 5V x2 RCA Preout as the unique feature not available in any other brand plus 2-year warranty. Price quoted by him is same as e-bay price.

I would like to hear from you folks in regard to JVC head units and features/specifications specifically this model and generally on JVC head units. Stress on any drawbacks that I may have to live with would be of great value in deciding on buying after weighing the pros and cons of JVC this particular model versus other brands.
Old 14th August 2010, 00:05   #2
BHPian

Hey!
One of the dealers in Bangalore also suggested this JVC H.U as opposed to Pioneer! Gave me the same reason, 5V as compared to 2.5V of Pio. But in my opinion if you are using an amp, go ahead with the Pioneer H.U. I have searched the whole forum extensively and as per the reviews here, Pioneer stands second and Alpine is the best but expensive. Where are you getting your ICE installed in Bangalore. I would suggest Blueraven (Satya). His store is near Ulsoor and his store name is EVO. He is supposed to be one of the finest installers here in B'lore. Check out his website http://www.evo-blr.com

Cheers!
-Z
Old 14th August 2010, 13:11   #3
BHPian

Hi Zombie69,

I was somehow thinking of going for an HU other than Pio but due to various reasons am getting back to square one :-) Having listened to Pio in most installs, I find it not really up to my taste. Having said that, I do agree Pio HUs are feature rich and economical and widely installed (it being the most favored on this forum too). Nonetheless, if I could get hold of Alpine or Blau within my budget and my spec requirements, I would avoid Pio.

As for the installation part, I am still wondering where to go. I have read rave reviews about EVO, but Ulsoor is too far for me. I will look for someone close by, maybe TMC. The above quote I got was at Junction (near Jain Temple Jayanagar 4th block).
Old 15th August 2010, 08:08   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmyalto View Post
Hi Zombie69,

I was somehow thinking of going for an HU other than Pio but due to various reasons am getting back to square one :-) Having listened to Pio in most installs, I find it not really up to my taste. Having said that, I do agree Pio HUs are feature rich and economical and widely installed (it being the most favored on this forum too). Nonetheless, if I could get hold of Alpine or Blau within my budget and my spec requirements, I would avoid Pio.

As for the installation part, I am still wondering where to go. I have read rave reviews about EVO, but Ulsoor is too far for me. I will look for someone close by, maybe TMC. The above quote I got was at Junction (near Jain Temple Jayanagar 4th block).
Hey!
If you could get Alpine at your price range then go for it! By the way what is your price range for the H.U? Please let me kn ow so that I also can go for the same! you can PM me if you want!

Cheers,
-Z
Old 15th August 2010, 22:29   #5
BHPian

Hey, Me too!

Hello,

Itsyouralto , and Zombie69 !
I am also in the exact same dilemma.

So, I am also searching for the same, Lets please share the options we are getting.
So far, the guys here in the shops are suggesting me 5290 Pio- only!
It is sure feature rich, I have seen a demo.

What options have you seen? Alpine,?

//I also recall reading about Clarion, if we are considering a good HU, (I think in Navin's thread..

care,

Ace.
Old 15th August 2010, 23:30   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by driverace View Post
Hello,

Itsyouralto , and Zombie69 !
I am also in the exact same dilemma.

So, I am also searching for the same, Lets please share the options we are getting.
So far, the guys here in the shops are suggesting me 5290 Pio- only!
It is sure feature rich, I have seen a demo.

What options have you seen? Alpine,?

//I also recall reading about Clarion, if we are considering a good HU, (I think in Navin's thread..

care,

Ace.
Hi Ace,
I also remember about Clarion being discussed in a thread a while back, but not able to search it again. Pioneer is kind of a "no nonsense" H.U and it's a proven thing. So when you go to any store they won't hesitate to push Pioneer. I'm looking for bluetooth compatibility and preferably inbuilt. Maybe a steering wheel remote at a later stage . So considering all these Pioneer fits my bill but again the guy at the store was pushing JVC! I'm confused . Couple more days, I will decide and get it installed next weekend!

Cheers!
-Z
Old 18th August 2010, 12:56   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie69 View Post
By the way what is your price range for the H.U? -Z
It around 8K-9K.

Quote:
I'm confused . Couple more days, I will decide and get it installed next weekend!

Cheers!
-Z
Mine will happen only in first week of September. I am tied up with work and cant get it done before that, so am hoping for your inputs on your install and pics/rates/dealer, etc. etc. All the best.
Old 18th August 2010, 13:42   #8
BHPian

Quote:
It around 8K-9K.

Mine will happen only in first week of September. I am tied up with work and cant get it done before that, so am hoping for your inputs on your install and pics/rates/dealer, etc. etc. All the best.
Forget JVC..It might be good but haven't seen many go for it. The only thing attracted me to JVC is the 5V Preout. If your budget is 8-9K then I will suggest Pioneer 4290SD (8.3K) and Kenwood 6043 (8.6K). Both these H.U are proven, good sound quality and no headaches and plenty of users in this forum.
I'm getting installed at EVO. I will audition both these H.U (pio and Kenwood) and speakers (Infinity / Boston / Rockford Fosgate) + Amp this Saturday and hopefully will get it installed the same day.
Will keep you posted.

Cheers!
-Z

Last edited by Zombie69 : 18th August 2010 at 13:46.
Old 24th August 2010, 10:22   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Forget JVC..It might be good but haven't seen many go for it. The only thing attracted me to JVC is the 5V Preout. If your budget is 8-9K then I will suggest Pioneer 4290SD (8.3K) and Kenwood 6043 (8.6K). Both these H.U are proven, good sound quality and no headaches and plenty of users in this forum.
I'm getting installed at EVO. I will audition both these H.U (pio and Kenwood) and speakers (Infinity / Boston / Rockford Fosgate) + Amp this Saturday and hopefully will get it installed the same day.
Will keep you posted.

Cheers!
-Z

Well I already got a JVC KD-R816 n its good
Old 24th August 2010, 16:25   #10
BHPian

Jvc Kd-lhx555 & Jvc Kd R816

So, my eclipse is blown and repair doesn't seem likely so am thinking of getting a new HU. Been hunting around and nobody seems to be having eclipses or clarions for sale in b'lore. I'm not too bothered about B&W as long as the source is trustworthy.

My HU requirements are very simple:

Need a clean flat frequency response at all levels. I don't ever bother with the HU EQ and hate artificial processing.
Need a 24bit DAC
USB that will read WAVs off a 2.5 HDD
Ability to switch off internal amp will be awesome.
Need a pair of pre outs dedicated to the sub. I'm ok with 4 pre outs so long as one pair will act as dedicated output for the sub.

I don't like the Pios and Sonys. Hate their sound signature. Love Clarions and eclipses but am not able get my hands on them locally. Alpine is ok-ish. Never heard Kenwood or JVC or Panasonic. Have been checking out a few HUs and a dealer suggested the following ones

JVC KD-LHX555 - for abt 9k
JVC KD R816 - approx 11.7k both with B&W.

The R816 has a BB 24bit DAC which kinda sounds interesting. Before I audition the HUs, I needed some firsthand opinion from folks who've used either of the above HUs.

Please mention your setup in detail as well.

Gurus, please chip in.

What DAC does the JVC KD-LHX555 use?
Any A/B comparos between Kenwood and JVC HUs that have been done?
Which HU with a 24bit DAC have a cleaner flat output: Kenwood or JVC?
Do all kenwoods (with a 24bit DAC) run Wolfsons?
Is the kenwood implementation of the wolfsons superior to BB?
Will it be a better idea to just get an Alpine 9887 @ 13k?
How do the current Panasonic HUs compare with the similarly priced Kenwoods and JVCs?

Please put opinions 'only' if you've heard the HUs or done a comparison. Sorry if that sounded rude, but no point in saying things without first hand info.

I know I should ideally be looking at the DXZ785USB but I won't be able to source it for sometime. Any online retailer in Singapore or any other retailer you might know who ships to singapore in a week? Or does anybody knows one up for sale somewhere in India?

FYI, my setup is as follows and will be run in an OHC Vtec:

Boston s60 compos
Boston g5 12 sub
Boston GT50 amp

Thanks a million for your time.

Mods: Please move the thread if deemed appropriate.
Old 24th August 2010, 16:37   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Today, I had been to check out on prices for ICE setup and during the course of discussion on head units, the shop owner showed me this (new model) JVC KD R616. JVC India website doesnt carry this model but is available on e-bay india for the Rs. 7650+150 shipping. Specs as below.

JVC KD R616
2 year warranty from JVC India
MRP: Rs 8990/-
Made for I pod
Works with I phone
2 way control for I pod
Over 30,000 colour variations
Front AUX Input
USB Playback
Ready for Bluetooth Adaptor
24 bit DAC
WMA/MP3 Playback
Steering Remote Ready
5V X2 RCA Pre outs/Sub W.Out

This guy stressed the 5V x2 RCA Preout as the unique feature not available in any other brand plus 2-year warranty. Price quoted by him is same as e-bay price.

I would like to hear from you folks in regard to JVC head units and features/specifications specifically this model and generally on JVC head units. Stress on any drawbacks that I may have to live with would be of great value in deciding on buying after weighing the pros and cons of JVC this particular model versus other brands.
Buddy! U can get a superb brand new Pioneer 7250SD which is a 2010 model for not more than 8.5k. I don't see anything great in the specs posted by you on the JVC KD R616.

The Pioneer 7250SD comes with Direct iPod/iPhone control, 3 RCA (Fr+Re+Sub) having 4V, SD card reader & USB Port.
Old 24th August 2010, 23:25   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
Buddy! U can get a superb brand new Pioneer 7250SD which is a 2010 model for not more than 8.5k. I don't see anything great in the specs posted by you on the JVC KD R616.

The Pioneer 7250SD comes with Direct iPod/iPhone control, 3 RCA (Fr+Re+Sub) having 4V, SD card reader & USB Port.
Does the Pio have 24 bit DAC?
Old 25th August 2010, 10:54   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
Does the Pio have 24 bit DAC?
Not sure. But the specifications on this link says something abouit that.

Ryda Car Audio - Pioneer DEH-7250SD Car CD MP3 SD Tuner($318.95)
Old 25th August 2010, 11:22   #14
Senior - BHPian

24 bit DAC thing is a bit over rated in cheap players and so don't worry too much about it. Yes sure it is good to have but not really important enough to make or break a deal. More important things to consider are higher number or preouts and their output voltages, time alignment and ability to play USB

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks