Old 12th August 2010, 09:54   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAKIYA_2K12 View Post
Nice set up vijay.

I am glad you changed the HU.

And don't forget about damping.
Bakiya, thanks.

Guys, I have run into an unexpected issue. Low quality recordings are now started to sound bad on my ICE. Imperfections which I had never noticed before are now all too obvious. I have a bunch of CDs which I want to rip and put on a USB. What would be the best format and bitrate? And is there any free software that can do that?
Old 12th August 2010, 10:22   #33
Senior - BHPian

Last two pics

Power Zone logo. It's rather discreet so I am keeping it. I am now on the lookout for other cars carrying this symbol.
Comfortably numb again in a Fiesta 1.6S-ice-024-50.jpg

The Kicker sticker.
Comfortably numb again in a Fiesta 1.6S-ice-025-50.jpg
Old 12th August 2010, 12:15   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
Bakiya, thanks.

Guys, I have run into an unexpected issue. Low quality recordings are now started to sound bad on my ICE. Imperfections which I had never noticed before are now all too obvious. I have a bunch of CDs which I want to rip and put on a USB. What would be the best format and bitrate? And is there any free software that can do that?
Rip them to 320Kbps MP3's, You can do it using windows media player or Itunes. dbpoweramp is what I use though.
Old 12th August 2010, 13:52   #35
Senior - BHPian

Yes, the highest bitrate that these HUs read is 320 kbps mp3's.
Each track should be around 10-12 MB in size.
Certain Audiophile HUs play FLAC (lossless).
Old 12th August 2010, 14:38   #36
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations Vijay, I was getting a timely update from Sanjay about your works right from first week of August. Mine is almost a similar looking set up but with a minimal budget, retaining the stock HU, but I am curious to feel the HU difference that can change the whole experience.

Unni and me will be driving down to Chennai this Saturday (14th) and will be shooting around the city until Sunday lunchtime. Any chance we could feel your set up ? Sanjay is supposed to meet us for saturday dinner !
Old 12th August 2010, 15:24   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathee46 View Post
Rip them to 320Kbps MP3's, You can do it using windows media player or Itunes. dbpoweramp is what I use though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
So 320 Kbps MP3 it is. I have some 320 Kbps MP3s and they sound nearly as good as Audio CD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Congratulations Vijay, I was getting a timely update from Sanjay about your works right from first week of August. Mine is almost a similar looking set up but with a minimal budget, retaining the stock HU, but I am curious to feel the HU difference that can change the whole experience.
Thank you Shaju. The HU is the 'brain'. When the 'brain' is impaired, the body can't work well no matter how powerful it is. If you still wish to retain the OE stock, maybe you could take a look at the MS-8 that was being discussed earlier? That would make it the first Fiesta on the forum with that device! Did I tell you it costs $800?

Quote:
Unni and me will be driving down to Chennai this Saturday (14th) and will be shooting around the city until Sunday lunchtime. Any chance we could feel your set up ? Sanjay is supposed to meet us for saturday dinner !
Sanjay mentioned some hotel on the 100 ft road. Are you guys meeting there? I could try and drop in there late on Sat night. Or the three of you can drop in to my place any time this weekend. Bring some of your fave CDs to see the kind of difference the HU makes. Do you like hip hop?
Old 12th August 2010, 15:26   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
One dumb question. Will the quality improve when we convert 128kbps mp3 song into 320kbps .

Vijay, Thanx for the offer of sticker. Will collect it from you while meet.

Last edited by whizzkid_ram : 12th August 2010 at 15:28.
Old 12th August 2010, 15:27   #39
Senior - BHPian

@Gilead, I will get you good quality music when I meet you this weekend!

I have loads of ARR collection & Rock/Soft Rock/Metal genre! I also have a few US & UK collection Billboard hits!

@Whizzid_ram, No. The bitrate is adjusted when the MP3 is ripped from ACD.

Last edited by anachronix : 12th August 2010 at 15:29.
Old 12th August 2010, 15:41   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whizzkid_ram View Post
One dumb question. Will the quality improve when we convert 128kbps mp3 song into 320kbps .
It would get worse if you do this, the flaws will only be amplified to a higher level.

Last edited by sathee46 : 12th August 2010 at 15:42.
Old 12th August 2010, 17:56   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
@Gilead, I will get you good quality music when I meet you this weekend!

I have loads of ARR collection & Rock/Soft Rock/Metal genre! I also have a few US & UK collection Billboard hits!
Great. Thanks dude.

I got desperate and downloaded a low bit rate version of 'Ninukori Varanam'- wah, what a masterclass by Ilayaraja. Dude has used slap bass technique nearly a quarter of a century ago. Even Flea can take some lessons. And what driving percussions. This is the first time I am hearing Raja in a high fidelity system.

Mi10: Do you have a > 192 Kbps version of the song?
Old 12th August 2010, 18:13   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
....I could try and drop in there late on Sat night. Or the three of you can drop in to my place any time this weekend. Bring some of your fave CDs to see the kind of difference the HU makes. Do you like hip hop?
Our accommodation preference was just close to Marina beach, nothing else, after all its just to freshen up and sleep end of the day. We can chose a place for dinner thats good and comfortable for you guys, its your city, so we just follow the command . About the music, I like most types, I have around 8 languages (various types of each) in my fiesta. So far, its mostly Unni's diesel babe that might take the chance this time as Pondy was done in mine 3 months back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
Please make an extra copy if you have time, I would collect it Saturday night .
Old 12th August 2010, 22:36   #43
BHPian

Congrats for your wonderful ICE!
Did I miss the price break up somewhere? Please do post, it shall be really helpful.
Old 13th August 2010, 00:54   #44
Senior - BHPian

Congrats, Gilead! That does look like a nice-sounding setup, and its put together very well too!

Quote:
I didn't know when JBL became so pricey!?
All the top of the line products from JBL are more expensive than what Infinity or HK products touch. Case in point being products like the GTi series comps, and JBL-Crown amps etc. Nothing from the other 2 brands even comes close to those price points.

Quote:
The JL Audio processor is available for $300 compared to the $800 for the MS-8.
Umm, JL makes a processor, plus multiple add-ons. In some cases, you have to buy all the things to get the job done, and that would land you very close to the MS8 price, and yet leave some functionalities out. MS8, on the other hand is a one-box solution (with a built-in 8 channel amplifier!).

I've used the MS8 in a couple installs now (1 x Jag and 1 x X5), and the results are very very good!

The main positives of the MS8 is that it's literally child's play to set up. Wire all the connections even ulta pulta, and it'll still figure everything out for you.

The negatives (in my order of descending priority) -

1. No Input Sensing - This really is a big downer, but there seems to be some reason for not including this. Although the guys at JBL have been kind enough to provide car-wise installation details on the MS8 micro-site.
2. No options for manually fine tuning some processor functions.
3. Not the most flexible crossover menu. What you set as the high pass frequency for one band, HAS TO necessarily be the low pass filter frequency for the next band, AND at the same slope! I would have preferred that the processor itself decides as to what would be the most appropriate crossover points for each channel when it plays the test tones, since it wants to do most else by itself anyway!
4. No options for adjustable Q at crossover point.

So my contention is that while it is an unbeatable product for those who want the least amount of fuss about getting their OEM integration, or otherwise, general system processing right, it will leave the "I want to set everything msyelf, GRR!" kind of tuner a bit unsatisfied.
Old 13th August 2010, 10:03   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Our accommodation preference was just close to Marina beach, nothing else, after all its just to freshen up and sleep end of the day. We can chose a place for dinner thats good and comfortable for you guys, its your city, so we just follow the command . About the music, I like most types, I have around 8 languages (various types of each) in my fiesta. So far, its mostly Unni's diesel babe that might take the chance this time as Pondy was done in mine 3 months back.
I will let Sanjay decide the dinner venue. I may not be able to join you guys for dinner, but I will definitely find time to catch up. Bring some of your face CDs that you know well for reference. And bring some of that groovy arabic stuff as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhipuru16 View Post
Congrats for your wonderful ICE!
Did I miss the price break up somewhere? Please do post, it shall be really helpful.
Hi Abhi. I had mentioned in my first post that I will not be putting up the prices here. My prices are in line with the MRP and the usual set of discounts that are available with B&W. You will probably get the same or better rates from your installer as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
Congrats, Gilead! That does look like a nice-sounding setup, and its put together very well too!
Thank you, B&T. My installer is a TBHP reader and he is a fan of your tweeter pods. He did have something to say about one of your recent installs. Well, not exactly an install. I'll probably PM you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
So my contention is that while it is an unbeatable product for those who want the least amount of fuss about getting their OEM integration, or otherwise, general system processing right, it will leave the "I want to set everything msyelf, GRR!" kind of tuner a bit unsatisfied.
That's very good info. Can you also clarify sanjay's question that was posted earlier. Can the MS-8 create an actual 5.1 or 7.1 from stereo? If all it can do is something like Dolby Prologic, then I guess it won't sound that great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjayc View Post
Is'nt the MS-8 doing exactly the same thing which my sony dav HT system does? The sony one has got an accessory which when connected to the front-mic, will automatically adjust the dB levels/speaker distances for each of the speakers/sub. In the MS-8, the headphones claims to do the same thing. At least the technology seems to be the same, the preciseness may differ.

How good is so-called DSP stuff? It claims to take a stereo/2-channel input and play it over 5.1/7.1?

Last edited by Gilead : 13th August 2010 at 10:04.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks