Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2010, 10:20   #46
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
Case in point being products like the GTi series comps, and JBL-Crown amps etc. Nothing from the other 2 brands even comes close to those price points.

Wire all the connections even ulta pulta, and it'll still figure everything out for you.

The negatives (in my order of descending priority) -

1. No Input Sensing.
2. No options for manually fine tuning some processor functions.
3. Not the most flexible crossover menu. What you set as the high pass frequency for one band, HAS TO necessarily be the low pass filter frequency for the next band, AND at the same slope!
4. No options for adjustable Q at crossover point.

it will leave the "I want to set everything msyelf, GRR!" kind of tuner a bit unsatisfied.
a. There is a strong marketing logic in having one MOTHER brand. Although I would have assumed they would have used Harman as the MOTHER brand.

b. ulta-pulta isonly a 180 deg phase shift na? I am sure if I stick a 1.5V battery in one of the speaker leads it will still figure out the DC and correct for it. Ever tried it. B&T next time you have time on an MS8 install we'll stress test it.

c. lastly what does the "I want to set everything msyelf, GRR!" guy do? I hate it when some chip tells me what sound right. Chips dont have enough sense for that. Human ears are far more sophisticated than chips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
My installer is a TBHP reader and he is a fan of your tweeter pods.
Hey kya?
Old 13th August 2010, 10:46   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey Gilhead, glad to know that you have got a wonderful setup! Congratulations and enjoy.

I have a strange feeling that, this is only the beginning and more upgrades will haunt you I mean, you didn't want to to change the HU in the first place but eventually ended changing it Now that you are out of the OE ICE Quality space, there's no limit!!
Old 13th August 2010, 13:51   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
b. ulta-pulta isonly a 180 deg phase shift na? I am sure if I stick a 1.5V battery in one of the speaker leads it will still figure out the DC and correct for it. Ever tried it. B&T next time you have time on an MS8 install we'll stress test it.
Not sure if the owner would be happy with that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
Hey Gilhead, glad to know that you have got a wonderful setup! Congratulations and enjoy.

I have a strange feeling that, this is only the beginning and more upgrades will haunt you I mean, you didn't want to to change the HU in the first place but eventually ended changing it Now that you are out of the OE ICE Quality space, there's no limit!!
Thank you Kishore. I am done with upgrades on the Fiesta. When I upgrade the car, I will think about upgrading the ICE. If I had gone in for a low budget install now, I might have felt the need to upgrade, but not needed with what I have now.
Old 13th August 2010, 14:43   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you Kishore. I am done with upgrades on the Fiesta. When I upgrade the car, I will think about upgrading the ICE. If I had gone in for a low budget install now, I might have felt the need to upgrade, but not needed with what I have now.
Well, Typical reply, soon after you've done a splurge
Old 13th August 2010, 14:45   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007
I have a strange feeling that, this is only the beginning and more upgrades will haunt you
Knowing Gilead, I doubt it.
Infact, this thread is a result of my brainwashing.
So, what about you? When's your ICE upgrade coming?
Old 13th August 2010, 15:36   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi10 View Post
Well, Typical reply, soon after you've done a splurge
I am not too keen on clinging on to my gate man. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Knowing Gilead, I doubt it.
Infact, this thread is a result of my brainwashing.
Yep, I am done with the Fiesta. Nitrous would be raking in the moolah if ICE installers gave him a commission for every guy he has brainwashed in Chennai.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
So, what about you? When's your ICE upgrade coming?
Yeah, kiku, just listen to my car or even better, sathish's or bakiya's Fiestas and you will realize what you are missing. When are you doing it and what is your budget? sanjayc has already lined up 70K for his ICE upgrade after getting a demo of the Power Zone Estilo. Now who else is left in Chennai?

Power Zone called me today. He had just finished upgrading the ICE on a TBHP Baleno which went there today. Apparently the customer is very happy. Maybe we'll see a new thread later today.

I asked him about the damping. He says he doubts whether damping will have any effect on the mid bass given the way it has been tuned. He says the Fiesta OE speaker location is high up on the door and there is thick window glass right behind the magnet even when the glass is fully raised which acts as a dampener. He says damping would have been necessary in a Swift or i10 where there will be metal behind the magnet when the glass is fully raised. Apparently older model Fiestas will need damping as well because they came with a 5 inch location much lower down in the door and they also did not come with the thicker panels and additional roof padding that the Fiestas from mid 2008 started coming with. Whatever be the case, the mid bass sounds excellent and I don't think I will be messing with it.

Last edited by Gilead : 13th August 2010 at 15:41.
Old 13th August 2010, 15:48   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am not too keen on clinging on to my gate man. lol

Quote:
I asked him about the damping. He says he doubts whether damping will have any effect on the mid bass given the way it has been tuned. He says the Fiesta OE speaker location is high up on the door and there is thick window glass right behind the magnet even when the glass is fully raised which acts as a dampener. He says damping would have been necessary in a Swift or i10 where there will be metal behind the magnet when the glass is fully raised.
Am really missing the Fiesta (1.6 S). Really.

Was wondering, if i am upgrading to a Fiesta (for the sake of better sound only), will that also come under the ICE budget
Old 13th August 2010, 16:33   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you, B&T. My installer is a TBHP reader and he is a fan of your tweeter pods. He did have something to say about one of your recent installs. Well, not exactly an install. I'll probably PM you.
Post it here also, no problem. Criticism or suggestions are always welcome.

Quote:
Can the MS-8 create an actual 5.1 or 7.1 from stereo? If all it can do is something like Dolby Prologic, then I guess it won't sound that great.
Anything that creates 5.1 or 7.1 from stereo is obviously going to be like Dolby ProLogic, since the source is 2 channel to begin with. If you mean to ask whether the MS8 has a 5.1 channel decoder for surround sources, the answer is - No, it doesnt. It doesn't have a digital input either.

For simulating multi-channel surround, it uses their in-house algorithm from Lexicon called Logic 7.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
b. ulta-pulta isonly a 180 deg phase shift na?
Yes, it corrects speaker polarity.

Quote:
I asked him about the damping. He says he doubts whether damping will have any effect on the mid bass given the way it has been tuned. He says the Fiesta OE speaker location is high up on the door and there is thick window glass right behind the magnet even when the glass is fully raised which acts as a dampener. He says damping would have been necessary in a Swift or i10 where there will be metal behind the magnet when the glass is fully raised.
Well, damping isn't just about the surface that lies right behind the speaker. Its also the surface on which the speaker is mounted, and adjoining areas into which the speaker's sound radiates. If these materials seem to be of the kind that would be energized because of the working of the speaker, then they should ideally be damped. Even if the bass is cut substantially by using a high pass filter, midrange sounds are also known to produce "ringing" in sections that may have a high natural resonance frequency.
Old 13th August 2010, 16:59   #54
BHPian

Quote:
sanjayc has already lined up ???K for his ICE upgrade...
My auditioning starts from next week...
Old 13th August 2010, 17:13   #55
BHPian

Hi Sanjay, what are all the ICE products that you have decided until now?

Have you finalized on something or going to start all over only now??
Old 13th August 2010, 17:34   #56
BHPian

@pr, nothing finalised on the ICE front as yet. But one major component has been identified...that is, the project & the client who will be footing the cost;-}

Will be starting only now. I have decided to give myself a nice birthday gift in way of complete replacement of the existing home theater system, followed by complete replacement of the ICE on the car's birthday which is Dec 19.
Old 13th August 2010, 18:15   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi10 View Post
Am really missing the Fiesta (1.6 S). Really.

Was wondering, if i am upgrading to a Fiesta (for the sake of better sound only), will that also come under the ICE budget
Now this would be a first on TBHP. Buying a car based on ICE requirements!

Quote:
Well, damping isn't just about the surface that lies right behind the speaker. Its also the surface on which the speaker is mounted, and adjoining areas into which the speaker's sound radiates. If these materials seem to be of the kind that would be energized because of the working of the speaker, then they should ideally be damped. Even if the bass is cut substantially by using a high pass filter, midrange sounds are also known to produce "ringing" in sections that may have a high natural resonance frequency.
The Fiesta has a thick semi transparent sheet covering the whole door. I don't know how much of a damping effect this is having, but I am guessing most cars would have something like that.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...ce-003-50-.jpg
As of now I am not getting any 'ringing' sound or distortion, but I need to test with more songs. In my glory days, MJ's Billie Jean used to be a good test of mid bass. Any other good song choices for testing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjayc View Post
@pr, nothing finalised on the ICE front as yet. But one major component has been identified...that is, the project & the client who will be footing the cost;-}

Will be starting only now. I have decided to give myself a nice birthday gift in way of complete replacement of the existing home theater system, followed by complete replacement of the ICE on the car's birthday which is Dec 19.
Great! Plenty of time to decide. Just don't over analyze and get bogged down.
Old 13th August 2010, 19:03   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Fiesta has a thick semi transparent sheet covering the whole door. I don't know how much of a damping effect this is having, but I am guessing most cars would have something like that.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...ce-003-50-.jpg
The first thing I would do is get rid of that sheet of plastic, and replace it with a large sheet of damping. The plastic has no damping effect whatsoever. In fact, it could flap if the speakers are producing decent bass.
Old 13th August 2010, 19:30   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The first thing I would do is get rid of that sheet of plastic, and replace it with a large sheet of damping. The plastic has no damping effect whatsoever. In fact, it could flap if the speakers are producing decent bass.
Thanks for the info. I plan to audition another car running the same speakers with damping to see if there is a perceptible difference. I was willing to plonk down the 6K for the Dynamat, but it was the installer himself who said it will not make much of a difference considering the way the speakers have been HPF-ed.

What would be a good song to test mid bass? Other than Billie Jean.
Old 13th August 2010, 19:45   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I plan to audition another car running the same speakers with damping to see if there is a perceptible difference. I was willing to plonk down the 6K for the Dynamat, but it was the installer himself who said it will not make much of a difference considering the way the speakers have been HPF-ed.

What would be a good song to test mid bass? Other than Billie Jean.
At what frequency have they been high-passed?

Billie Jean is not exactly a good track for mid bass. More so for sub bass. Use some house track. Something with a pounding kick-line.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks