Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 15th August 2010, 17:42   #76
BHPian

Gilead, thanks for giving a demo yday. While I was earlier a little skeptical about all these ICE stuff... I mean how much better sound quality one can get considering the amt of money involved.... But the whole experience at powerzone and your install has changed my perpective towards quality audio system. Was completely dumbfounded with the setup. Particularly liked the way the sound stage was setup. The sweet deep bass emanating from the middle of the dash was awesome.

Am sure kiku007 will also be having something to say on this.

I am addicted.. The stock system is now sounding crappy to me. Already am busy compiling my favs on CDs to kickoff the auditioning process.

Kudos to the installer for doing a neat job. He already has got a cstr in the pipeline.

Btw, you are getting quite a few suggestions on damping. What's your plan on this? I did not feel any unwanted vibration or alien sounds... Also I remember sound was barely audible outside with all doors closed.

Last edited by sanjayc : 15th August 2010 at 17:45.
Old 15th August 2010, 21:08   #77
BHPian

That is some real fine stuff. How are the JL audio speakers treating you? Damn I need an ice upgrade.

I have a JBL GTO 937 + GTO 527 powered by a 800w JBL 4 way amp and anniversary edition JBL 1200w boom box. Dont even ask about the HU, have a old pioneer 50w MP3.
Old 15th August 2010, 23:46   #78
Senior - BHPian

Got a chance to audition this setup today.

The imaging is spot on. Kudos, as even high end setup, sometimes lack this quality.

JL's are superb in their response and reproduction. I especially like your tweeters, not too sharp, not too dull Just perfect - Classy.

HU - i have one and i know what an awesome head it is.

Sub - To be frank, i was expecting it to hit deep and low. But it was a tad shallow to my taste (Probly the Fiesta's build is too robust). I think its because you are underpowering it. But guess, you like it this way.

Excellent setup, Wishing you more musical miles with your beauty
Old 16th August 2010, 01:08   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjayc View Post
Gilead, thanks for giving a demo yday. While I was earlier a little skeptical about all these ICE stuff... I mean how much better sound quality one can get considering the amt of money involved.... But the whole experience at powerzone and your install has changed my perpective towards quality audio system. Was completely dumbfounded with the setup. Particularly liked the way the sound stage was setup. The sweet deep bass emanating from the middle of the dash was awesome.

Am sure kiku007 will also be having something to say on this.

I am addicted.. The stock system is now sounding crappy to me. Already am busy compiling my favs on CDs to kickoff the auditioning process.

Kudos to the installer for doing a neat job. He already has got a cstr in the pipeline.

Btw, you are getting quite a few suggestions on damping. What's your plan on this? I did not feel any unwanted vibration or alien sounds... Also I remember sound was barely audible outside with all doors closed.
Thank you Sanjay. I look forward to hearing your upgraded ICE as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetanya Sharma View Post
That is some real fine stuff. How are the JL audio speakers treating you? Damn I need an ice upgrade.

I have a JBL GTO 937 + GTO 527 powered by a 800w JBL 4 way amp and anniversary edition JBL 1200w boom box. Dont even ask about the HU, have a old pioneer 50w MP3.
JL is damn good. Not too many of them on this forum. You should change your HU first before you do anything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi10 View Post
Got a chance to audition this setup today.

The imaging is spot on. Kudos, as even high end setup, sometimes lack this quality.

JL's are superb in their response and reproduction. I especially like your tweeters, not too sharp, not too dull Just perfect - Classy.

HU - i have one and i know what an awesome head it is.

Sub - To be frank, i was expecting it to hit deep and low. But it was a tad shallow to my taste (Probly the Fiesta's build is too robust). I think its because you are underpowering it. But guess, you like it this way.

Excellent setup, Wishing you more musical miles with your beauty
Pravin, thanks for the kind words. The sub got MUCH deeper and louder on reversing the polarity from the HU. I never realized such a setting existed. Thanks to Nitrous for the tip. Any idea what makes the sub go deeper and lower when polarity is reversed?

And I think it does need a bit of damping on the front doors. Not because of any rattling or distortion, but certain mid bass frequencies seemed to be missing or a little muted when we did a song to song comparison with Nitrous' ICE.

I liked your WIP ICE. The Morel mid bass is too good. Hope to see your completed set up shortly. Good luck buying a car that will go well with your ICE.

PS: You left a lil too early. A beauty joined us a few minutes after you left. It was causing a traffic jam at 11 PM on RK Salai due to the number of vehicles stopping in the middle of the road to gape at it. Now I know the true meaning of a head turner.

Last edited by Gilead : 16th August 2010 at 01:19.
Old 16th August 2010, 08:23   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
PS: You left a lil too early. A beauty joined us a few minutes after you left. It was causing a traffic jam at 11 PM on RK Salai due to the number of vehicles stopping in the middle of the road to gape at it. Now I know the true meaning of a head turner.
Beauty ?? Was it something we were discussing just before my start

or you meant yet another hot set of wheels
Old 16th August 2010, 10:22   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi10 View Post
Beauty ?? Was it something we were discussing just before my start

or you meant yet another hot set of wheels
No, it was the same one. What a sight in white and black and LEDs.

So why does the sub get deeper and punchier when reversed? Should that not be the default setting then rather than normal?

Last edited by Gilead : 16th August 2010 at 10:23.
Old 17th August 2010, 17:05   #82
Senior - BHPian

Vijay, it was a pleasure to meet you guys and have an experience of your ICE. We really liked it, I am too small to comment about the quality and performance, but overall it was very pleasing to my ears, perfect to my liking. I would not want to do anything more to your present set up, unless your purpose is to make the people around feel the power !

Its natural to 'show-off' (after spending a huge buck) by lowering the glass and raising the volume bar throughout the drives. Please dont fall into that category, what you have is excellent. I would come closer if I change my stock HU. I didnt feel the need of damping after listening.

Last edited by shajufx : 17th August 2010 at 17:07.
Old 17th August 2010, 20:55   #83
Senior - BHPian

Shaju, it was a pleasure meeting you, Unni and your friends. You should give me some photography tips the next time we meet.

My windows are never lowered and I am not an SPL guy, so I think I am good. What I possibly need is more power on the inside! GAAAA, I hate Mi10. I am currently looking at a list of monos that he has PM-ed me. And learning what bi-amping means.

Last edited by Gilead : 17th August 2010 at 21:00.
Old 17th August 2010, 22:37   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
I have a strange feeling that, this is only the beginning and more upgrades will haunt you
Man, you're spot on

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Knowing Gilead, I doubt it.
Infact, this thread is a result of my brainwashing.

Mono + Damping = Estimated Total Damage ~20K

Nitrous, am i carrying forward your good work ??
Old 18th August 2010, 07:25   #85
Senior - BHPian

Oh wow Gilead. This is simply Brilliant. Cant wait to listen to it in the next meet.
Good Job there Mate.
The Ice Bug has just bit you.
Like others I think there is more to come from you.

Last edited by arjunrudra : 18th August 2010 at 07:26.
Old 18th August 2010, 10:53   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjunrudra View Post
Oh wow Gilead. This is simply Brilliant. Cant wait to listen to it in the next meet.
Good Job there Mate.
The Ice Bug has just bit you.
Like others I think there is more to come from you.
Arjun, welcome back dude. Guys were telling me you were under 'house arrest'. Hope things are better now. lol Actually I was pushed 'over the edge' after hearing your Swift and the 948s running off the amp, so I guess I have to thank you as well.
Old 9th September 2010, 10:06   #87
Senior - BHPian

Damping

My car is going for damping on the front doors tomorrow. This is the first time I am doing damping and I was surprised by the weight of 30 sq ft of Noisekill. Apparently its 8 kgs!!

Can the car's doors handle this kind of weight? And what kind of an impact will it have on acceleration?
Old 9th September 2010, 10:14   #88
BHPian

Gilead, what brand amp wiring kit, RCA's and speaker wires did Powerzone use for the install ?

30sq.ft of noise kill for both front doors & boot or just for the front doors ?

Last edited by donarun : 9th September 2010 at 10:16.
Old 9th September 2010, 10:20   #89
SMK
BHPian

Congratulations on a great set of ICE! Actually i am thinking of installing a HU on my fiesta, since the stock 6 CD changer has issues with the CDs stuck inside and does not have features of USB/AUX plugins. Also, yesterday when i got it checked at the Metro Ford, they suggested taking it off and sending it to Chennai for repair since the car is still under warranty.
I dont want to drive the car without the music for 15 days. My question is, the stock player is integrated well on the dash and i do not want to get a hole there with new HU. Can you suggest any player which fits in that space well and does not look odd?
Budget is not a constraint and i am also thinking of getting the player with the wide screen.
Your help would be much appreciated!
Old 9th September 2010, 10:42   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by donarun View Post
Gilead, what brand amp wiring kit, RCA's and speaker wires did Powerzone use for the install ?

30sq.ft of noise kill for both front doors & boot or just for the front doors ?
Cadence 4 gauge amp wiring and 2 Kicker RCA/Speaker kits

And 30 sq ft just for the front doors. I will probably need another 30 sq ft for the boot if I install a mono later. Not needed as of now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMK View Post
Budget is not a constraint and i am also thinking of getting the player with the wide screen.
Your help would be much appreciated!
Thank you. Get rid of your OE HU asap. And since you said budget is not a constraint, buy this one. It will be a perfect.

DDX8036BT | Visual & Navigation Systems | Car Electroics | Kenwood Corporation

Costs 56K with B&W. I know another BHP-ian who is planning to pick it up for his Fiesta. It's capable of Dolby and DTS 5.1.

Most Viewed