Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2010, 12:04   #16
Senior - BHPian

Now thats a huge upgrade. So now your Morels are truly getting the signal they deserve. Congrats!!
Old 14th September 2010, 10:58   #17
Senior - BHPian

Hey thanks Sparkled! I have decided to not upgrade any more equipment in my system at the moment but only do that in my new ride in probably 3 yrs time. But the ICE bug has already started tickling me to change my amps and sub. I am trying my level best to resist but can't promise it won't bite. Lets see.....
Old 14th September 2010, 12:00   #18
BANNED

Start with sub get good DVC sub in sealed box, later if you wish change the amps as well.
Old 14th September 2010, 13:58   #19
Senior - BHPian

So, you atlast took the plunge ?

Morel + PRS, must be one sweet combo.

I am sure you ll very soon be upgrading your sub atleast.
Old 14th September 2010, 15:12   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaybiz View Post
Start with sub get good DVC sub in sealed box, later if you wish change the amps as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi10 View Post
So, you atlast took the plunge ?

Morel + PRS, must be one sweet combo.

I am sure you ll very soon be upgrading your sub atleast.
Oh the Morels + PRS is a full on combo. I am loving it totally!!!!

You guys are making total sense but my question is, which sub? Which is the sub that if I change now will contribute to my current setup and to my future setup? I have planned to get the Audison LRx 5.1k for the future.

I believe my current JBL 301.1 gives 204 watts @ 4 Ohms & 294 watts at 2 Ohms. My current Infinity Ref 1200T SVC is not getting the full 300 watts RMS that it is rated for at 4 Ohms.

What you guys suggest?

Last edited by Epic : 14th September 2010 at 15:14.
Old 14th September 2010, 16:14   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
Oh the Morels + PRS is a full on combo. I am loving it totally!!!!

You guys are making total sense but my question is, which sub? Which is the sub that if I change now will contribute to my current setup and to my future setup? I have planned to get the Audison LRx 5.1k for the future.

I believe my current JBL 301.1 gives 204 watts @ 4 Ohms & 294 watts at 2 Ohms. My current Infinity Ref 1200T SVC is not getting the full 300 watts RMS that it is rated for at 4 Ohms.

What you guys suggest?
I dont know what will suit your taste, but just keep in mind that when you upgrade, pls do both your Amps and Sub at same time. It will surely save you on labor, and you need not open up your car (for wiring) often.
Old 15th September 2010, 14:28   #22
Senior - BHPian

Hi guys,

I am looking at upgrading my subwoofer to the Infinity Kappa 120.9. I believe it has great reviews to be a sound quality sub and is for around 10k. I think that is absolute value for money. Specifications as below:

12" SSI Kappa Series 2 Ohm or 4 Ohm Subwoofer
Power Handling : Peak 1400W & 350W at 2 Ohms or 4 Ohms
Coated Glass Fiber Woofer Cone
Thick rubber surround
Selectable Smart Impedance (SSI) lets you set the subwoofers impedance with the flip of a switch
Cast aluminum basket with voice coil vents
Triple voice coil technology
2" Voice coil diameter
Rubber boot surrounds the magnet structure
Frequency response: 23-400 Hz
Sensitivity: 91 dB
Frequency Response: 23-400 Hz

What do you guys think? I can upgrade to this so that the sub can get 300W RMS from my current JBL 301.1 and then upgrade the amp later to the Audison LRx 5.1k which will give the sub 750W RMS.
Old 15th September 2010, 15:29   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi guys,
I am looking at upgrading my subwoofer to the Infinity Kappa 120.9. I believe it has great reviews to be a sound quality sub and is for around 10k. I think that is absolute value for money. Specifications as below:
I have heard the Kappa sub and it's ultra smooth and precise. It's not an SPL type sub though. Put it in a 1 to 1.25 cu ft well built sealed box and the response will be superb. I think Invinsible has one, so maybe you can get more info from him.

What would be the point of feeding 750 RMS to a 350 RMS sub? It won't hurt, but seems rather pointless unless you really like the Audison's output.
Old 15th September 2010, 15:52   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post

What would be the point of feeding 750 RMS to a 350 RMS sub? It won't hurt, but seems rather pointless unless you really like the Audison's output.
Prob'ly he wants to have 2 X 350W RMS
Old 15th September 2010, 15:58   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Then he needs the Infinity Ref subs that come in the factory fitted dual ported enclosure. I have heard them as well and they are deadly. Much better than a single sub putting out 700 RMS.

A lot depends on the mono too I guess. The Kappa I heard was powered by a Focal Solid 1 and I bet the Kappa's silky response had a lot to do with that. Both are smooth operators.

Last edited by Gilead : 15th September 2010 at 16:01.
Old 15th September 2010, 16:32   #26
BANNED

If you are not planning to upgrade the JBL 301.1 soon then go with Infinity REF 1062 sub i am using it with my 301.1 in sealed tiny box and wowo man the way it thumps, puts shame on many 12", using 301.1 's full potential at 2 ohms, sub is rated 275 w RMS at 2 ohms so perfactly mated.
Old 15th September 2010, 17:37   #27
Senior - BHPian

It's discussed here lot more in detail.
As for the enclosure .8 to 1 cu.ft is what it requires.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/produc...er-review.html
Old 15th September 2010, 17:44   #28
Senior - BHPian

Very useful information from all of you. Really appreciate it but whoa hang on guys!!!!

Quote:
I have heard the Kappa sub and it's ultra smooth and precise. It's not an SPL type sub though. Put it in a 1 to 1.25 cu ft well built sealed box and the response will be superb. I think Invinsible has one, so maybe you can get more info from him.

Ok. As you can see, my final ICE setup is aimed towards SQ so I don't really want SPL. Now, your last two lines are interesting as I have either been given wrong information on the difference between RMS power and Peak power or I have not understood the concept.

My understanding of RMS/Peak Power is - RMS power is the actual power that the sub can handle continuously. Peak power is what the sub can handle at a given point of time but NOT continuously.
What I have been told about RMS/Peak Power is - RMS power is the minimum power required for the sub to perform. Peak power is the maximum of what the sub can handle continuously. This I was told just yesterday.

Which of the above is true??

Quote:
No no my friend!! I have no intention of having two subs in my car. I am starting to believe that the 'bug' in 'ICE bug' is actually you!!

Quote:
Then he needs the Infinity Ref subs that come in the factory fitted dual ported enclosure. I have heard them as well and they are deadly. Much better than a single sub putting out 700 RMS.

A lot depends on the mono too I guess. The Kappa I heard was powered by a Focal Solid 1 and I bet the Kappa's silky response had a lot to do with that. Both are smooth operators.
I was looking at the Infinity Ref 120.9 only because it had good reviews for a sub costing 10k. But as mentioned above, I do not want two subs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaybiz View Post
If you are not planning to upgrade the JBL 301.1 soon then go with Infinity REF 1062 sub i am using it with my 301.1 in sealed tiny box and wowo man the way it thumps, puts shame on many 12", using 301.1 's full potential at 2 ohms, sub is rated 275 w RMS at 2 ohms so perfactly mated.
Well I am definitely not planning to upgrade my amps at the moment but will be considering upgrading to the Audison LRx 5.1k as a one amp solution by Jan 2011 and hence thought of upgrading and investing in a sub now that will suit my current JBL 301.1 and will not have to change again when I upgrade to the Audison LRx 5.1k later.

Btw, isn't the Infinity Ref 1062 a 10" sub? What is the cost of this sub? Is there a model available in 12" as I would prefer that.

Last edited by Epic : 15th September 2010 at 17:54.
Old 15th September 2010, 17:50   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

My understanding of RMS/Peak Power is - RMS power is the actual power that the sub can handle continuously. Peak power is what the sub can handle at a given point of time but NOT continuously.
What I have been told about RMS/Peak Power is - RMS power is the minimum power required for the sub to perform. Peak power is the maximum of what the sub can handle continuously. This I was told just yesterday.

Which of the above is true??

Believe in what you think at times not always
Your understanding is correct in regards to RMS and Peak power.

Regarding the sub it's a complete Sleeper. I highly regard this sub in sub 20k category. Very sub can play low, smooth, and be loud at the same time. Run this sub at 2 ohms for best results.
Old 15th September 2010, 18:32   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invinsible View Post
Believe in what you think at times not always
Your understanding is correct in regards to RMS and Peak power.

Regarding the sub it's a complete Sleeper. I highly regard this sub in sub 20k category. Very sub can play low, smooth, and be loud at the same time. Run this sub at 2 ohms for best results.
Ok so your above post says to go for it. However I have one question, since you mentioned to run the Infinity 120.9 in 2 Ohms for best results, what difference would it make since it is rated at 350W RMS at 4 Ohms & 2 Ohms?

Also, since I am planning to use the Audison LRx 5.1k to power this sub, it gives 750W RMS at 4 Ohms and 1150W RMS at 2 Ohms. Now, if I run the sub at 2 Ohms, is there a chance of any damage due to the massive extra power being fed to the sub from the amp at 2 Ohms as compared to that at 4 Ohms?

Most Viewed