Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2010, 12:05   #16
BANNED

If your amp is stable at 2 ohms why not try Infinity DVC sub?
I have one plugged to JBL GTO 301.1 amp it very tiny sealed box and it give run to many 12" subs. Model is Infinity REF1062, its rated at 275 w RMS and sensitivity is 94 db. I have posted it somewhere in team-bhp its video as well, must be Swift Audio thread.
Old 30th August 2010, 12:45   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson View Post
Ok I auditioned the following:

1. Ground Zero 12" Sealed box - Dint really get any punch from it.
2. Polk Audio 12" Ported - Liked it quite a bit. Good punch and not too boomy.
3. MXT 12" RT12AT Ported - This was the only one i felt that that my foca amp was able to drive well.
4. GT5 - 1202BP - Had highest expectation of this and I must say the Bass was the cleanest but had to turn the gain much higher and the juicer knob all the way up for it to play..

Finally picked up the MTX but have not taken a pakka bill as yet so may change it next week again.
Where in Pune you are getting this done? Not may installers in Pune stock these varieties for audition. They are not even familiar with damping.
Old 30th August 2010, 16:03   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
Is your MTX the one that comes in a cylinder like enclosure? Then yeah, it's not all that tight compared to a sealed sub. Your crossovers may not be set correctly as well.
Yes that's the one. I have set the crossovers myself through the 3Sixty.2
The Sub is set at Bandpass 30hz - 150hz and the Focals in the front are set at High Pass 90Hz.
I have got it to sound pretty descent now but I'm looking for a more tight bass which this does not seem to deliver.

I am now asking him the prices of the ID CTX 12" and also the ID12D2V.3. Does anyone here know the prices - that way id know whether to even consider them or not.

The latter is a dual Voice coil but could be wired in series to exhibit a 4 Ohms load. I just wonder whether 200 Watts would be sufficient as it is rated at 50 to 350 Watts.

Unfortunately I cant audition the ID's at his shop as he would have to order them for me so I have to be sure before asking him to order them. Another reason I am considering the ID12D2V.3 is that in the future I can get a 400Watt Monoblock as an upgrade. The ID12D2V.3 gives me that headroom and simultaneously should play pretty descnet on 200Watts as the sensitivity is pretty good. Was considering it in a sealer 1.25cuFt box with dimensions 13x13x19.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaybiz View Post
If your amp is stable at 2 ohms why not try Infinity DVC sub?
My amp would be stable @4Ohms for 200Watts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radek View Post
Where in Pune you are getting this done? Not may installers in Pune stock these varieties for audition. They are not even familiar with damping.
Poona Motors.

Last edited by Crimson : 30th August 2010 at 16:19.
Old 30th August 2010, 16:10   #19
BHPian

Sub input Wiring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhallen.282 View Post
@crimson Please try the JBL again.

An MTX however is a good choice there is a chance you can try push it lower and mess around a little with your eq to bring the sub to a point where there will not be a large overlap with your 3-way comps. it takes some work to set it to your preferences
Yes I intend to try the CS JBL when i go back to him. If you suggest I will also try the GT5 again. I really liked the bass that came from this sub but just could not drive it hard enough. I had to take the juicer knob to full for it to barely even move where as the MXT got going at just 55%of the knob.

The crossover settings I am using are mentioned in the post above. What do you think?

Wiring Options

Inputs to 2Sixty.2 -> 4 Channel High level inputs

Low level output for front channels of 3sixty.2 -> Amp inputs for Channel 1 & 2

OPTION 1: Low level output for rear channels of 3sixty.2 -> Amp inputs for Channel 3 & 4

OPTION 2: Low level output for rear channels of 3sixty.2 -> Not connected
Low level output for SUB Channel of 3sixty.2 -> Split into 2 RCA's (Y connector) -> used to feed Amp inputs for Channel 3 & 4

Option 2 allows me to use the infrasonic filter in the 3sixty.2 for the sub and allows me to control equalizer channels 20Hz to 50Hz which are not enabled for the rear 2 channels.

I am currently using Option 2.

Last edited by Crimson : 30th August 2010 at 16:26.
Old 30th August 2010, 16:25   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
The bass tube is very boomy and gets irritating very fast if you are not into that kind of sound. You will not get the deep thump with the JBL tube.
Totally agree with the above statement. I had once a JBL tube paired with JBL 300.1 monoblock and it got me irritated so fast (boomy) that I changed to a polk 12" in sealed enclosure.
Old 30th August 2010, 16:39   #21
BHPian

Probably a dumb question

Probably a dumb question! Does it matter which way the sub is facing?
Old 30th August 2010, 16:46   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Actually there was a debate about this some months back. It has been noticed that the best direction for the sub to be facing is towards the rear bumper/tail-lamp cluster.

However if you need the boot for other items the best option is a FG enclosure on the side opposite to the side that houses the fuel tank.
Old 30th August 2010, 16:49   #23
BHPian

Thanks Navin. Can you give me some inputs on the Wiring options I have posted a couple of posts above.
Old 31st August 2010, 11:03   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
OPTION 1: Low level output for rear channels of 3sixty.2 -> Amp inputs for Channel 3 & 4

OPTION 2: Low level output for rear channels of 3sixty.2 -> Not connected
Low level output for SUB Channel of 3sixty.2 -> Split into 2 RCA's (Y connector) -> used to feed Amp inputs for Channel 3 & 4

Option 2 allows me to use the infrasonic filter in the 3sixty.2 for the sub and allows me to control equalizer channels 20Hz to 50Hz which are not enabled for the rear 2 channels.

I am currently using Option 2.
a primer on the 360.2

How many pre outputs does your HU have? I assume you will have 4 speaker level outputs and either 2 or 4 low level outputs.

What can be done using the 360.2 is to take the 4 outputs you care to use (either speaker level or line level) to generate front, rear and sub line level outputs. The front, rear and sub outputs from the 360.2 can be fed to amps and then to speakers.

if you have only a single 4 channel amp and you want to use 2 channels bridged for a sub then the simplest is to use just the front RCA / speaker level outputs and generate front and subwoofer outputs from the 360.2.

Let teh rear speaker level outputs run the rear speakers.

Most amps that allow you to bdige 2 channels for sub use do not need both channels driven and will only need an input to one of these channels. If your amp can do this there is no need for a Y connector.
Old 31st August 2010, 11:07   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I experimented a little bit and found that it sounded best when firing towards the bumper as mentioned by Navin above. Some people have suggested that I make holes in the boot, but I don't think I will be doing that. What I might do is add a mono later on.

Last edited by Gilead : 31st August 2010 at 11:09.
Old 1st September 2010, 10:16   #26
BHPian

Navin, I think my question was not very clear.
The car is a punto and I'm using the stock hu, so no low level outputs. All 4 high level outputs from the deck are connected to the high level inputs of the 3sixty.2

The front outputs from the 3sixty.2 drive channel 1& 2 of the amp so no issues there.

I can use the rear RCA out from the 3sixty.2 to power channel 3&4 but I cannot access the infrasonic filter range of the equilizer which is only present for the sub RCA out channel. So what I have done is powered channel 3&4 of the amp using the sub RCA put of the 3sixty. But the sub out is just a single RCA. Hence the y connector. Also as I am splitting the sub out into 2 rca's I hvae increased the output level of the sub channel in the 3sixty.2 from -3 to zero whereas front is left at default -3dB.

Is this the correct thing to do?

Last edited by Crimson : 1st September 2010 at 10:17.
Old 1st September 2010, 10:56   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Navin, I think my question was not very clear.
The car is a punto and I'm using the stock hu, so no low level outputs. All 4 high level outputs from the deck are connected to the high level inputs of the 3sixty.2

The front outputs from the 3sixty.2 drive channel 1& 2 of the amp so no issues there.

I can use the rear RCA out from the 3sixty.2 to power channel 3&4 but I cannot access the infrasonic filter range of the equilizer which is only present for the sub RCA out channel. So what I have done is powered channel 3&4 of the amp using the sub RCA put of the 3sixty. But the sub out is just a single RCA. Hence the y connector. Also as I am splitting the sub out into 2 rca's I hvae increased the output level of the sub channel in the 3sixty.2 from -3 to zero whereas front is left at default -3dB.

Is this the correct thing to do?
I strongly suggest use the front output of the 360.2 to feed the front speakers and drive the sub through sub output through single rca output on 360.2 Split the rca out through the Y cable.
Since the sub run through the mono amp and mono signal drives the sub, that's the main reason why they have given single sub out.
leave the Rear output on the 360.2 as it is.
Old 1st September 2010, 12:04   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invinsible View Post
I strongly suggest use the front output of the 360.2 to feed the front speakers and drive the sub through sub output through single rca output on 360.2 Split the rca out through the Y cable.
Since the sub run through the mono amp and mono signal drives the sub, that's the main reason why they have given single sub out.
leave the Rear output on the 360.2 as it is.
Yes - This is what I have done. Just wanted to confirm if this was correct.

I will be keeping this sub and not getting it changed

Made a few changes though:

1. Fitted the sub in a 1.3cuFT Sealed rectangular enclosure. Has made quite a difference. If a go for a smaller enclosure (1cuFT) will it sound tighter?

2. Tried different directions for the sub but found the base facing up. Gives the tightest bass with least lingering hum.

Also I have made some changes with the amp location. Done some re-wiring and placed the amp and 3sixty in the boot. Will post pictures tomorrow.

Overall, I am very satisfied with the sound now.

One change I noticed from from earlier was that now for some reason the volume level needs to be turned up a couple of notches more than I used to earlier. This is strange because I have not touched the amp gains and I reloaded the same 3Sixty settings which I was using earlier. The music quality however is best since I have had this system

Maybe its something to do with the set-up in the 3sixty. Wondering if I should mess with it a bit more or just leave it as it is because it sounds superb - just lost a bit of loudness....

Does anyone know at what level the Punto stock HU clips? Earlier i never used to go above 22-23 but now i need to go to about 27 to get the same level. But it still sound crystal clear - does not seem to clip at 27 either. But can someone confirm this for me please?
Old 1st September 2010, 13:45   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Most amps that allow you to bdige 2 channels for sub use do not need both channels driven and will only need an input to one of these channels. If your amp can do this there is no need for a Y connector.
When I unplug one cable of the Y connector i notice the Sub volume reducing significantly. So i guess the Focal Solid 4 needs both RCA's plugged in for the bridged mode output.
Old 1st September 2010, 15:20   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. Fitted the sub in a 1.3cuFT Sealed rectangular enclosure. Has made quite a difference. If a go for a smaller enclosure (1cuFT) will it sound tighter?
It will become tighter, but less louder. Depends on what you want. Leave it the way it is if you are happy with the current sound.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks