Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2010, 18:58   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karankapoor View Post
I am not able to understand the above, Like i a have pioneer HU which have a volume of 62 but my system was tuned @51/52 volume dint remember the exact, was this wrong if yes HOW ?.

If you tune your HU with 33% of the HU volume then you are using the amp gain as a volume control, this is what i think.

Just take it this way if i am using a component kit and a sub i tune my setup @ 33% volume and suddenly somebody increases the volume to 80/90% wont there be chances for the speakers and sub to get spoiled ?
+1
thats what I thought! you spoke my mind. I think it's always better to set the H.U volume at 80% and tune the amp! that way I won't end up damaging my components!
P.S - When my friends get into my car, they keep fidgeting with the volume knob! I think I'll put a sticker there "you break it, you buy it"

Cheers!
-Z
Old 26th August 2010, 19:29   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... pioneer HU which have a volume of 62 but my system was tuned @51/52 volume ...
Not wrong, just a different way of doing it - would have been tuned for the loudest volume without distorting. At what HU volume do you normally listen to music?

Quote:
If you tune your HU with 33% of the HU volume then you are using the amp gain as a volume control, this is what i think.
Oh no, not at all - how can one do that (other than by emulating Baba Ramdev)? The volume control is still on the HU, and while tuning one will still check how loud it can go without distorting by turning up the volume control.

Quote:
... i tune my setup @ 33% volume and suddenly somebody increases the volume to 80/90% ...
Depends on the speakers and type of music being played. Normally no, since it depends on how long you play really loud. Short bursts (couple of minutes) don't cause problems other than unpleasantness (I feel slightly nauseous when that happens). If the thermal conditions are not right, the amp will go into protection. If they are unable to handle that power level, speakers will start becoming severely distorted long before they die. If one can remain sane hearing that distorted cacophony, they deserve the speakers going up in smoke - normal people will automatically turn the volume down.
Old 26th August 2010, 21:25   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Not wrong, just a different way of doing it - would have been tuned for the loudest volume without distorting. At what HU volume do you normally listen to music?
I don't think its just different/another way, Indeed its the only way to tune your setup properly, The amp gain should be tuned to work with the volume control if not then why HU or any other audio system have different volume levels 30/35/50/60.

Quote:
At what HU volume do you normally listen to music?
It all depends on my mood some times 20/30/40/50 i hardly turn the nob that high.

Quote:
Oh no, not at all - how can one do that (other than by emulating Baba Ramdev)? The volume control is still on the HU, and while tuning one will still check how loud it can go without distorting by turning up the volume control.
Then why not tune it on on a higher volume level rather doing it on lower volume.

Quote:
Depends on the speakers and type of music being played. Normally no, since it depends on how long you play really loud. Short bursts (couple of minutes) don't cause problems other than unpleasantness (I feel slightly nauseous when that happens). If the thermal conditions are not right, the amp will go into protection. If they are unable to handle that power level, speakers will start becoming severely distorted long before they die. If one can remain sane hearing that distorted cacophony, they deserve the speakers going up in smoke - normal people will automatically turn the volume down.
Then it means i need to always think before increasing the volume damn this song is bassy i can't play it loud.
What if amps are stronger then the speakers/sub in that case they will surely blow.

Many people have this thing in their mind that my sytem sounds very loud @ 8/10 volume they say your system is loud but at 50 volume what if i turn my volume nob to 50 ? I said just don't try to do that.
Old 27th August 2010, 00:33   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Many people have this thing in their mind that my sytem sounds very loud @ 8/10 volume they say your system is loud but at 50 volume what if i turn my volume nob to 50 ? I said just don't try to do that.
Volume knobs are log not linear (gain knobs are usually linear). So if you tune you system where the gain is say 50-70% and volume knob is at 12 o clock (50% of rotation but 70% of volume) and you speakers are not distoring you should be ok for short bursts.

I worry more about tweeters blowing because they do not warn before doing so. Woofers will distort so you atleast have some warning.

The other problem is that tweeters often blow due to over excursion. The voice coil seperates from the terminals due to the excursion (too much LF) of the dome. You get no warning when this happens.

Last edited by navin : 27th August 2010 at 00:35.
Old 28th August 2010, 16:36   #20
BHPian

one other thing i noticed this morning was, my sound stage is set more towards rear! I closed all the windows of the car and started listening to music, even though i use components in the front, i hardly noticed anything! I mean music coming from rear did over power the music from the front. Now i have a list of things to do for my tuner!
1) tune more towards front
2) Set the amplifier gain

Cheers!
-Z
Old 28th August 2010, 20:28   #21
Senior - BHPian

This can be done with the help of the fader just turn it more towards the front side and see if it makes some difference.
Old 30th August 2010, 15:29   #22
BHPian

Quote:
This can be done with the help of the fader just turn it more towards the front side and see if it makes some difference.
Already did brother! But because of the amp gain setting not done properly, volume is on a bit lower side, even if i turn up the H.U volume!
So have to tune the amp first then use the fader controls! come to think of it, I'll try to match the Front and rear speakers volume so it can be gelled perfectly and will forget the fader controls!

-Z

Most Viewed