Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2010, 18:36   #16
Senior - BHPian

Errr... not like that. You said "The head unit does not sit properly in the slot" - but this looks more like the front plate rather than the HU in it's mounting place. Or is it?
Old 29th August 2010, 23:30   #17
BHPian

Oh, I thought the head unit was just the thing in the picture. I will take pics of the complete unit tomorrow in daylight. It rattles like mad in 3rd and 4th gear around 1500 rpm. Also that alternator whine is driving me insane.

Is there any way I can re-do the earthing myself? I really can't enjoy my music like this, and I don't get any time off all of this week to go just so he can re-earth the amp. If someone could walk me through, I'll do it.

TY

EDIT: As usual, I go searching for tutorials after I post.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5733245_prop...amplifier.html

Is that a decent tutorial? The other ones I found had complex circuit diagrams and graphs and I'm really bad at that stuff. The very reason why I opted out of Electrical Engineering in my automotive engineering degree.

Last edited by ByDesign : 29th August 2010 at 23:35.
Old 1st September 2010, 20:34   #18
BHPian

ByDesign,

Here's a thread where I got my Palio ICEd.

A very simple set up. Light on the pocket.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sound-...palio-sdx.html

Happy driving.
Old 1st September 2010, 21:43   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lejhoom View Post
ByDesign,

Here's a thread where I got my Palio ICEd.

A very simple set up. Light on the pocket.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sound-...palio-sdx.html

Happy driving.
Cool setup. I spent about 23k on mine, and I'm going to set up a woofer this Sunday.
Guys, when I play some heavy hip hop or bass heavy music, during the especially heavy booms, on loud volume, the rear ovals shudder and rip up and sound absolutely painful. Will the woofer get rid of this? Because I don't want the tube, I need some space in my boot. Is the woofer a big improvement on bass?

Thanks
Old 1st September 2010, 23:18   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByDesign View Post
Cool setup. I spent about 23k on mine, and I'm going to set up a woofer this Sunday.
Guys, when I play some heavy hip hop or bass heavy music, during the especially heavy booms, on loud volume, the rear ovals shudder and rip up and sound absolutely painful. Will the woofer get rid of this? Because I don't want the tube, I need some space in my boot. Is the woofer a big improvement on bass?

Thanks
i think your head unit has a built in high pass filter (hpf). if the speakers are running off the rear pre out then once you get the sub turn this on. it will ensure most of the mids come through the speakers and the bass is all directed through the sub. try this out after installing the sub. if your head unit has a separate pre out for the sub then you can fiddle with the settings so you reach a point where the point of distortion is not reached. i hope this helps. cheers.
Old 2nd September 2010, 10:51   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... loud volume, the rear ovals shudder and rip up and sound absolutely painful. Will the woofer get rid of this? Because I don't want the tube, I need some space in my boot. Is the woofer a big improvement on bass? ...
There is no substitute for a sub-woofer for low bass, especially the synthesized bass of hip hop which goes very low.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilMonSter View Post
i think your head unit has a built in high pass filter (hpf). ...
Yes, this is the correct way to limit the travel of the 6x9s (which is ripping up the other frequencies). But, unless you have a sub, this will take away some of the bass that you are getting now. Try setting the HPF to 80Hz and check whether the sound still distorts. Keep setting it lower till you find the point where it just distorts, then set the frequency slightly higher.
Old 2nd September 2010, 14:34   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilMonSter View Post
i think your head unit has a built in high pass filter (hpf). if the speakers are running off the rear pre out then once you get the sub turn this on. it will ensure most of the mids come through the speakers and the bass is all directed through the sub. try this out after installing the sub. if your head unit has a separate pre out for the sub then you can fiddle with the settings so you reach a point where the point of distortion is not reached. i hope this helps. cheers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
There is no substitute for a sub-woofer for low bass, especially the synthesized bass of hip hop which goes very low.

Yes, this is the correct way to limit the travel of the 6x9s (which is ripping up the other frequencies). But, unless you have a sub, this will take away some of the bass that you are getting now. Try setting the HPF to 80Hz and check whether the sound still distorts. Keep setting it lower till you find the point where it just distorts, then set the frequency slightly higher.
Thank you both. Yes there is an HPF setting with a little graph indicating a plot (I have no idea of what) that displays on screen. The sound goes treble rich at lower frequences (63hz to 80hz). When one says 'lower' frequencies, is that numerically lower? I'm a bit confused since Hertz is an inverse function. Also, on the pioneer site, it talks of a low pass filter? I don't see that, just an HPF setting on my unit. Also, is bass low frequency? Or high frequency?

I will definitely get the sub woofer installed on sunday, and ask the guy to re-ground my amp for that awful alternator whine to go away. And the Fiat service center guy told me to have some additional padding under the head unit case to make it fit in well into the HU slot in the dash. I still haven't managed to take pics of the HU. I will do it this evening. Thanks for following up guys.

Last edited by ByDesign : 2nd September 2010 at 14:40.
Old 2nd September 2010, 16:51   #23
BHPian

Sorry about the double post, but can someone recommend an ICE place in Delhi where I can buy a subwoofer and get it installed. I don't want to go back to the same place where I did the rest of the setup due to the lack of tech expertise. Having to hear "Oh this happens in Pioneer systems, be grateful it's not louder than this" for alternator whine, and "Palio's are extremely cramped for head units, none of them fit in properly, this is the best we can do" for a crappy HU fit is simply inexcusable.

I want to go to a professional place who'll recommend a good woofer setup, re-do my amplifier grounding, setup all gains and settings properly and professionally, and fit the HU properly. Is Elegant car accessories in Lajpat Nagar any good? They were setting up another customers woofer the other day and they seemed to be pretty professional.
Old 2nd September 2010, 17:32   #24
BHPian

Quote:
3. The head unit does not sit properly in the slot! The guy had a hard time stuffing it in there and it simply doesn't look right. I've also looked at Architect's Palio MJD, and his head unit looks the same. It doesn't seem like a good fit. Any fixes for this?
Add my SDX also in the list. I have JVC HU which refuses to fit-in.
I had tried with 2-3 installers and gave-up.
Old 2nd September 2010, 17:32   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I want to go to a professional place who'll recommend a good woofer setup, re-do my amplifier grounding, setup all gains and settings properly and professionally, and fit the HU properly. Is Elegant car accessories in Lajpat Nagar any good? They were setting up another customers woofer the other day and they seemed to be pretty professional.
Which part of Delhi are you in??
Old 2nd September 2010, 18:11   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch.nathan View Post
Add my SDX also in the list. I have JVC HU which refuses to fit-in.
I had tried with 2-3 installers and gave-up.
I will not give up! I'm sure it's possible! I saw a pic or two of other palios with HU's and they look perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by panky12345 View Post
Which part of Delhi are you in??
North. Delhi University. Can you help me?
Old 2nd September 2010, 18:53   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... When one says 'lower' frequencies, is that numerically lower? I'm a bit confused since Hertz is an inverse function. ...
Inverse function? How do you mean? Low frequencies = "bass" = generally < 120Hz, and 'lower' refers to numerically smaller number.

What you need to do is to set the Lower Limit of the High Pass Filter to 80, 72, ... As soon as you set HPF (I think default is 80Hz), bass will reduce, and then as you reduce this frequency, some amount of bass will come back. It will not be any more 'treble-rich' at any setting - you are actually feeling 'lack of bass'. Stop at a point where the bass is tolerable and not 'phata-hua'!

Quote:
... North. Delhi University. ...
Arrey, that is Panky-saheb's kingdom, isn't it?
Old 2nd September 2010, 19:48   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Inverse function? How do you mean? Low frequencies = "bass" = generally < 120Hz, and 'lower' refers to numerically smaller number.

What you need to do is to set the Lower Limit of the High Pass Filter to 80, 72, ... As soon as you set HPF (I think default is 80Hz), bass will reduce, and then as you reduce this frequency, some amount of bass will come back. It will not be any more 'treble-rich' at any setting - you are actually feeling 'lack of bass'. Stop at a point where the bass is tolerable and not 'phata-hua'!

Arrey, that is Panky-saheb's kingdom, isn't it?
Excellent. I understand this a lot more now. Thanks DerAlte!
And that's wonderful! Is Panky sir associated with the ICE industry?
Old 2nd September 2010, 21:33   #29
BHPian

Update! Looks like I've got myself an appointment this Sunday with...

Gyro!
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/delhi-...moti-bagh.html

They seem pretty professional to me! I just hope their prices are ok.
Old 3rd September 2010, 09:36   #30
h14
BHPian

Quote:
I will not give up! I'm sure it's possible! I saw a pic or two of other palios with HU's and they look perfect.
North. Delhi University. Can you help me?
I'm still wondering on this issue. My earlier Palio 1.2 had a JVC which fitted perfectly, the 2 new MJD's have a Pioneer and an Alpine and they too are a perfect fit. Wonder what is the issue that you are facing.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks