Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2010, 09:56   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h14 View Post
I'm still wondering on this issue. My earlier Palio 1.2 had a JVC which fitted perfectly, the 2 new MJD's have a Pioneer and an Alpine and they too are a perfect fit. Wonder what is the issue that you are facing.
What I observed in my case (SDX with JVC) is that there is a huge connector-plug and a bunch of wires behind the HU. These two are the obstructors.
Old 3rd September 2010, 11:47   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post

Arrey, that is Panky-saheb's kingdom, isn't it?
LOL! Der-Alte ji seems to have an excellent geographical knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByDesign View Post
Is Panky sir associated with the ICE industry?
NO ByDesign sir, I'm NOT anyway associated with ICE industry.

Quote:
They seem pretty professional to me! I just hope their prices are ok.
Some of their installs I've seen were quite professional.
As regards the installation prices, I think they're on a expensive side ~ app 20% of cost of equipment going in. (provided you know what they are doing, and for what!)

Meet them up, take an estimate.. share it across, may be I can help you in northern Delhi.
Old 3rd September 2010, 19:13   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by panky12345 View Post
LOL! Der-Alte ji seems to have an excellent geographical knowledge

NO ByDesign sir, I'm NOT anyway associated with ICE industry.

Some of their installs I've seen were quite professional.
As regards the installation prices, I think they're on a expensive side ~ app 20% of cost of equipment going in. (provided you know what they are doing, and for what!)

Meet them up, take an estimate.. share it across, may be I can help you in northern Delhi.
How can you help me in North Delhi? I've sent you a PM, respond when you can Panky sir. I wanted to do my setup on sunday.
Old 5th September 2010, 17:54   #34
BHPian

Got my subwoofer installed! After going to Driven, and almost suffering stroke when I got quoted a figure of 11,000 Rs. just to get a sub woofer installed, I went back to good ol' Lajpat Nagar and back to Ahuja Car Decor. Gautam was super friendly as usual, and I got a monster 1100W 12" JBL sub woofer installed for a total of Rs. 2900! I also got some very nice black floor mats from him.

Here are some pics of my setup. It's completely satisfactory. I also got the head unit fixed in properly. The sound now is freakin earth shattering and I can't hear the alternator whine at all.

Some pics are attached for viewing pleasure. Not that it's any to show off mind you
Attached Thumbnails
Advice on ICE - New Palio MJD [DELHI]-20100905_142437_64.jpg  

Advice on ICE - New Palio MJD [DELHI]-20100905_142445_959.jpg  

Advice on ICE - New Palio MJD [DELHI]-20100905_145312_777.jpg  

Old 5th September 2010, 20:50   #35
BHPian

INR 2900 is your Sub installation cost?
Could you please give a breakup of Sub/ Box / Amplifier / installation cost please?

Thank you,
-Z
Old 6th September 2010, 11:14   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie69 View Post
INR 2900 is your Sub installation cost?
Could you please give a breakup of Sub/ Box / Amplifier / installation cost please?

Thank you,
-Z
Price breakup is as follows
  • JBL CS 1215 1100W Sub woofer - Rs. 2600
  • Box, local carpenter fabricated - Rs. 300
Thats it. The existing 800W amp is now powering 2 rear speakers through one channel and the woofer through another channel. Nothing new in wiring or anything. I asked if I needed to buy a mono amp just for the woofer, but the guy said the amp I've got is plenty to accommodate this woofer. Installation cost is free since I'm a loyal customer. The sound is simply thunderous man. I love it.
Old 6th September 2010, 19:31   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Price breakup is as follows
  • JBL CS 1215 1100W Sub woofer - Rs. 2600
  • Box, local carpenter fabricated - Rs. 300
Thats it. The existing 800W amp is now powering 2 rear speakers through one channel and the woofer through another channel. Nothing new in wiring or anything. I asked if I needed to buy a mono amp just for the woofer, but the guy said the amp I've got is plenty to accommodate this woofer. Installation cost is free since I'm a loyal customer. The sound is simply thunderous man. I love it.
Thank you very much for the info!
I was looking for a possible sub installation and was wondering how much would it cost, Now I know!
Enjoy your music

Cheers!
-Z
Old 16th September 2010, 14:07   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie69 View Post
Thank you very much for the info!
I was looking for a possible sub installation and was wondering how much would it cost, Now I know!
Enjoy your music

Cheers!
-Z
The alternator whine is pretty loud when there's no music playing between tracks etc. It's pretty maddening. And when I told the guy who installed it about earthing the amp, he was pretty clueless. I'll probably fiddle around with it myself with some aluminum foil and a spare copper wire to earth the amp this sunday.
Old 17th September 2010, 21:00   #39
BHPian

I'm hoping someone looks here. I didn't want to start a new thread since it's all part of my setup which this thread is about.

I took a look at my amp wiring. I see a +12V screw, a GND screw, and an REM screw on the left side. The ground wire is insulin taped with all the other wires coming and going from the amp, including the power wire. I'm guessing the whine is caused by either the improper grounding, or the power cable running with the other cables.

Either way, I figured this is easy enough for me to do with my screwdriver kit, some insulation tape, and household aluminum foil for shielding the power cable from the rest.

I'll post pics and a write up on Sunday when I finally get a day off and work on my ride.

Peace
Old 18th September 2010, 13:28   #40
Senior - BHPian

ByDesign bhai, in addition to 1 & 2 that you're going to try:

1. Grounding amp, preferably with a wide washer at another point.
2. Isolating RCAs and power cables.

3. Remember to change/upgrade RCAs. This is very crucial.
Old 18th September 2010, 14:13   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by panky12345 View Post
ByDesign bhai, in addition to 1 & 2 that you're going to try:

1. Grounding amp, preferably with a wide washer at another point.
2. Isolating RCAs and power cables.

3. Remember to change/upgrade RCAs. This is very crucial.

The RCA's are the red and white leads seen in the picture above? i.e. for the speakers? And the blue ones come from the HU correct? Why do I need to change/upgrade the RCA's?
Old 18th September 2010, 14:56   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The RCA's are the red and white leads seen in the picture above? i.e. for the speakers? And the blue ones come from the HU correct? Why do I need to change/upgrade the RCA's?
Yes.. the same RCAs. Out from HU, In in amplifier.

Cheap RCAs are prone to pick up alternator whine. You also need to change your sub box to get a better thump.
Old 18th September 2010, 18:37   #43
BHPian

see that power cables and RCAs are not running together, all most all lajpat nagar and KB do a shortcut job. if they do, run the power cable from one side of the door and RC from another like driven.

as panky said, put a washer. see that paint has been scraped off and the ground wire is connected to the bare metal of the car.

cut off the extra wire lengths if any of both power and ground cables if they aren't being used. as it is, your wire is not good, the shorter it is the better.

if it still doesn't work, try using a higher guage ground wire from amp to car.

try this and let know.
Old 19th October 2010, 13:34   #44
BHPian

***UPDATES***

Ok, so I've been to Ahuja once more. I got the amp re-wired, i.e. power and signal cables separately, re-grounded the amp to a metallic contact in the boot etc. The alternator whine did NOT go away. I was getting more and more annoyed, and Gaurav from Ahuja Car Decor suggested I put in a noise filter (I think it looked like a capacitor?). After installing the noise filter, the whine went away completely. I noticed a slight dip in gain, i.e. the output volume was less than what it was earlier. The main thing is, the noise went away so I was more than happy.

Now a week after this noise filter was installed, I noticed that every time I honk, a little static interference occurs in the front two speakers. I called Gaurav, told him that I'm sick and tired of all these tiny changes which cause more errors than they fix and also that I wanted to return the noise filter (which I paid Rs. 450 for) and the BOSS wiring kit which was horrible as most of you guys said earlier. He willingly agreed to take back the noise filter with a refund and also re-wire my whole setup with a JBL wiring kit. When he said this, I remembered someone posting pictures of a fake JBL wiring kit doing the rounds in Lajpat Nagar market. Is this true? What should I look for in terms of decent wiring? I don't want to spend too much on this. Like below 3k would be good.

Also, I want to disconnect my subwoofer from the amp and connect it directly to the HU. Is this possible? From what I see, there's some jugaad where the front compos and the rear ovals AND the subwoofer is connected to my amp. Can someone please clarify if I can connect my woof to the HU directly? And also about the wiring kit.

Thanks as usual.
Old 19th October 2010, 14:38   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Here are some pics of my setup.
The last pic. I see rear seat belts. Has your seat cover installation guy pushed them back? Mine did and said that I can pull them put when needed. And I still have not figured out how to yet. Will be getting that done this weekend.

Might be that you are able to pull them out from under the seat when needed. If not then please go to the shop and get it done. Seatbelts are important. Sorry to go OT.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks