Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2010, 15:20   #1
BHPian

ICE upgrade : VW Polo

Hi everyone,

I have been researching a lot over the past couple of weeks for a neat system for my new Polo. However, I am super confused right now in terms of the equipment.

I would really appreciate if someone can just give me 2-3 options each for the fronts, HU, etc. so that I can can go out, try them and finalize the set up.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Usual songs I listen to: Hindi filmi, house, techno, rock & hip hop

I do not like sharp sounds. The usual listening time at a stretch is not more than 15-20 minutes with a fortnightly drive from Mumbai to Pune (3 odd hours)

HEAD UNIT:
I do find the sound from Sony's on the sharper side. I've not heard pioneer/ Kenwood/Alpion/clarion etc. So don't know how they stack up against the Sony.

SPEAKERS:
I would essentially like something which gives me a good balance between the hi's/lows. I like the sound more from the rear/ center rather than the from the front. Also, would 4 or more speakers be ideal/necessary?

Front: Components? Rear: No clue?

AMPLIFIERS:
As far I as know, this would elevate the listening experience so will appreciate if someone could tell me what I need.

SUB-WOOFER:
I don't like thumping sound, but if this achieves the balance then sure don't mind putting in a small one keeping in mind the limited space.

OTHERS:
Damping: Is there a brand I need to get?
Wires: Which is the pref. brand?

INSTALLER:
I live in the Prabhadevi area (Mumbai) but don't mind going an extra mile. Need some advise on where I can procure all equipment and get it fitted without having to worry about the authenticity as well as installation expertise/ quality.

This is IMPORTANT! Need help here. I searched old posts but did not find much.

Once again, any help would go a long way in defining my music experience

Thanks a lot guys.

Utpal

PS: I just did not get the time in Bangkok to look around. To all those who read and replied to my post, thanks a ton. Appreciate it!
Old 8th September 2010, 10:35   #2
Team-BHP Support

What is your budget for the whole system?

30K will get you a HU, amp, speakers and sub.
Old 8th September 2010, 13:39   #3
BHPian

Budget

Thanks Navin.

Budget is flexible. I can spend up to 35K-45K depending on how much difference does every extra 1000 fetch
Old 10th September 2010, 10:12   #4
Team-BHP Support

avi,

since you live in Prabhadevi I'd suggest you go to Bharat Motors at WOrli. Ask for Lila there and let her know you are TBHPian (they have worked on many a TBHPian's car including one of GTO's and one of mine). Here is a review of their work
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/mumbai...li-mumbai.html

Your budget spread would oook something like this

1. HU: Pioneer or Alpine @ 8K Get one with 3 pre outs and subwoofer level control
2. Amp: Kenwood 8405, JBL644 or Pioneer6400 @ 6K
3. Front and Rear Speakers: JBL GT5 series (265 in front and cox in rear) @ 8K
4. Subwoofer: JBL GT5-12 or GTO 1215 in sealed box @6-8K
5. Damping of front doors and hatch: 3K
6. Wires and install: 3K
-----------------
34-36K depending on subwoofer used.

If you are looking at 45-50K you can replace the JBL speaker with DLS's Performance series (components in the front and coax in the rear) and get a 3 ch amp to drive sub and all 4 speakers.

1. HU: Pioneer or Alpine @ 8K Get one with 3 pre outs and subwoofer level control
2. Amp: DLS CA31 @ 12K
3. Front and Rear Speakers: DLS K6 / 226 @ 14K
4. Subwoofer: DLS W312 in sealed box @10K
5. Damping of front doors and hatch: 3K
6. Wires and install: 3K
-----------------
Old 10th September 2010, 11:59   #5
BHPian

Other ideas....

Thanks a lot Navin for the detailed reply. Infact I've been going to Bharat for my i10 servicing since a year and a half now. They are quite professional. No doubt.

Q1: But would they be good for buying the ICE also or only the install.?

Since, I didnt hear from anyone on this thread, I was thinking of getting the install done at 4 seasons tardeo (B&T). Guess, he's pretty good.

Also, just to add to the confusion:

Q2: If I avoid putting in the sub-woofer, do I still choose between the JBL GT5's/ DLSK6 or I need some other speakers (may be Polk, Infinity) to make up for the lost bass.

Again, I would prefer a nice balance between the bass and treble, hovering lil bit around the bass side. Also, Prefer sound coming in from the rear, rather than the front.

Please let me know. I plan to set up an apt. with either Bharat or Ajay sometime around 18-19th.

Couldnt get my car registered today on account on EiD and then the Sat-Sun

Look forward to some other veterans stepping up and helping me out!!

Thanks again!

-U
Old 10th September 2010, 12:11   #6
BHPian

super! +1.

my two bits. i wouldn't recommend JBL, i would suggest for speakers or component sets with silk dome tweeters, they wouldn't be sharp. i don't know if higher series in JBL has silk dome tweeters, the basic ones don't.
Old 16th September 2010, 07:53   #7
BHPian

avi,

Have you finalized the HU and rest of the kit by now?
I am thoroughly confused as you were, in trying to upgrade the HU for my yet to be delivered Vento.

My requirement for a HU is a double din with variable color display, ipod, usb and bluetooth. I prefer a Pioneer HU, but they all seem to come with a blue display, which would not match Vento's theme (in red).

Apologies for hijacking your thread. But I am eagerly looking forward to your choice of HU and as well as suggestions from Gurus, which could help my decision as well.
Old 16th September 2010, 08:45   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by montyguru View Post
super! +1.

my two bits. i wouldn't recommend JBL, i would suggest for speakers or component sets with silk dome tweeters, they wouldn't be sharp. i don't know if higher series in JBL has silk dome tweeters, the basic ones don't.
I dont think all Silk dome's are laid back or for that matter all aluminium domes are sharp.

You need to hear the JL CS sereis (Aluminium dome) and the Morel' s (Silk domes) tweeters
Old 16th September 2010, 11:24   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi_hi_im View Post
Q1: But would they be good for buying the ICE also or only the install.?
Q2: If I avoid putting in the sub-woofer, do I still choose between the JBL GT5's/ DLSK6 or I need some other speakers (may be Polk, Infinity) to make up for the lost bass.
1. I normally buy atleast some (if not all) of my ICE from the installer. The installer get a commision (I know that) but that extra earning also keeps the installer more interested in my install.

2. No 6" will compensate for the bass a good sub can produce. I'd consider components that are laid back like Illusion, Infinty etc.. Polk and JBL are more forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi10 View Post
I dont think all Silk dome's are laid back or for that matter all aluminium domes re sharp.
I agee. There are too many exceptions to make that rule really relevant.
Old 16th September 2010, 19:45   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
If you are looking at 45-50K you can replace the JBL speaker with DLS's Performance series (components in the front and coax in the rear) and get a 3 ch amp to drive sub and all 4 speakers.
Navin,

As per this link Performance CA31 - 2x65 W + 1x170 W 3-ch amplifier
CA31 is a three channel amplifier with a nominal output of 2 x 65 Watts + 1 x 170 Watts (1 x 280 Watts in 2 ohm).
- Built-in high-pass, low-pass and subsonic filters.
- Variable phase control on sub channel.
- Protection circuits shut down the amplifier in the event of overloads.
- High level input with auto start.
The perfect amplifier for a standard installation with a front system in stereo and a subwoofer in the back.
- RMS output power @ 13,8 V, 20Hz - 20 kHz

Just curious to know... you are suggesting for two 3-channel amps or a single one will be enough for 2 fronts + 2 rears + sub?
Old 17th September 2010, 09:42   #11
Team-BHP Support

you can use the Hu's output to drive the rears. If you want to drive all 4 speakers by an amp the CA51 would be needed. Sorry for teh mis-coomunication it comes from senility and trying to do 2-3 things at a time.
Old 17th September 2010, 22:11   #12
BHPian

Step closer

Hi guys,

This is what I am heading towards. Please advise whether this setup would be ideal for my tastes.

Also, the cost for the overall set up including wires for the amps & speakers, installation is around 80-85K.

Head Unit - Alpine 105
Front Speakers - Focal Polyglass 165VB
Rear Speakers - Focal Polyglass 690CVX
Subwoofer - MTX RT12
Amp for speakers - Auditor RIP 4280
Amp for subwoofer - Auditor RIP 2300
Damping - Noise Kill

Hope I am not missing any important equipment.

Also, I would like to bring this down a bit. For me, the obvious choice would be to avoid the sub + 1 amp for now. However, this brings the overall cost to about 60-65K.

Can someone please suggest something in the 40-45K range without having to compromise too much on sound quality (again, not a fan of sharp sounds)

Thanks and please please keep the replies coming in!

Appreciate all your help.
Old 19th September 2010, 11:36   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi_hi_im View Post
Hi guys,
Can someone please suggest something in the 40-45K range without having to compromise too much on sound quality (again, not a fan of sharp sounds)
do you want 4 speakers in your car? if you can do with one component set and a subwoofer then you can go for a 100w 4 ch amp on lines of JBL 1004, that'll save you money. rear fills can also be run direct from head unit. fronts and woofer be amplified with the 4 channel.

MTX also has a base bin for around 12k, pre-amplified woofer with in-built amp. though it's not the same as having a mono and a sub in a box.
Old 19th September 2010, 18:23   #14
Senior - BHPian

Knock off the rears
Knock of the Amp for the sub
Look at some good Subs under 10-12K
Move the Damping to phase 2 if it still exceeds your current budget
Old 9th February 2012, 14:48   #15
BHPian

Which ICE setup for VW Polo!

Hi All,

I would be buying a new VW Polo TDI TL soon and planning for a basic ICE setup. I have used 2 brands so far, Alpine HU with Alpine Speakers for a Maruti Estilo and Xplod with JBL speakers for Maruti Swift. I do not have any experience with other brands. I am quite happy with the Alpine product and no problem for going for it once again. I visited some of the dealers in my town and got some price quotes. As my username indicates, I am a novice in these things. Please help me to decide on a fair deal.

Quote-1
Head Unit:Alpine CDE-W203E - 13500
Speakers Front: Alpine SPS 17 C2 - 3000
Speaker Rear: Alpine SPS 17 C2 - 3000
HU Case: 2500 (dealer saying that since VW Polo cannot accommodate a double din HU in stock, he needs to get a case for mounting it. Is this true?)
Wires, Connectors, Installation, etc. : 1000
Total : 23000 Rs

Quote-2
Head Unit : Alpine CDE-W203E - 13500
Speakers Front: JL Audio (Component) - 8000
Speaker Rear : JL Audio (Coaxial) - 5000
HU Case - 2500
Wires, Connectors, Installation, etc. - 1000
Total : 30000 Rs
* I do not know the exact JL models he was quoting.

Quote-3
Replace the Head Unit in the above quotes with Alpine CDE-102E (9000 Rs). This will also reduce the HU Case cost of 2.5K since this is single DIN. So effectively, cost would become 16K for Quote-1 and 23K for Quote-2.

Quote-4
Head Unit : Pioneer 6050 - 10500
Speakers Front: Rockford (P1S652) - 5500
Speaker Rear : Rockford (P1S652) - 5500
(This dealer is saying that VW Polo can accommodate a double din HU in stock and no case needed. Strange!)
Wires, Connectors, Installation, etc. - 500
Total : 22000 Rs

I am really confused with all these. Please help me to decide the best configuration. Or else if somebody could suggest me a good configuration that can be accommodated in 30K, that would be a great help. But please stick to some popular items like Alpine, Pioneer, etc. since I am not interested in some Chinese models. Below are some more points in case useful.
I would be driving the car most of the times.
I listen to ARR songs, Gazals other than MLTR.
Do not wan to loose the boot space.

Also how would you rate the speakers of different brands? I am including Alpine, JBL, RockFord, Infinity, JL Audio, Pioneer here since I heard only these many so far. My personal order of preference on SQ is JL Audio > RockFord > Infinity > Alpine > JBL > Piioneer. I assume this is a blunder to ask without any facts or figures. But still I just wanted to know your personal preference among these.

Thanks,
Novice29

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks