Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2013, 11:48   #31

Re: ICE for 2nd-gen City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anand.Mumbai View Post
Hello TBHPians,

I recently got hold of my dad's 08' Honda City(2nd gen) as he's now moved onto greener pastures, but the sound system in the car is just too basic. So I've thought of upgrading the entire system, with a budget of 20-25k.

Requirement is terms of sound quality : As I mainly listen to House/Electronic/Rock/Bollywood, so the bass needs to be good and low frequency response adequate.

1) HU - I'm looking for a single-DIN HU with AUX-in, no need for USB or CD player capability, and capable enough to power the system I have in mind.

2)Front : Components, please suggest the size that would fit as well as I have no clue.

3)Rears: Co-axials- are 6 X 9" co-axials better than the door ones? and would I have to make modifications to manage that? (I had a pair of 6X9" JBL GTO's in my Zen, which are still going strong, thus the liking.)

4)Amplifier- preferred JBL.

5)Sub-woofer- If required

6) Wiring, Damping- suggest!!

Please suggest what system I could do with, keeping in mind that I would prefer not to extend on that budget.
Someone please reply as I need to finalize by this weekend.
I have done some research and come up with a few options:

1) HU - As I do not need CD playback, I was thinking of Alpine IDA x100

2) Front Components: Inifinity Ref, powered by the amps...are these capable of producing the kind of highs needed for EDM music?

3)Rear Co-ax: JBL GTO 959's, powered by the HU.

4) Amps: Good 4-channel amp which gives me the option of upgrading in the future, maybe the JBL GT6 x646?

5) Subs: I dont think my budget allows me subs which I will add later on.

Help me out ..!
Old 9th August 2013, 14:51   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... I have done some research and come up with a few options: ... Subs: I dont think my budget allows me subs which I will add later on. ...
@Anand.Mumbai, your plan is good, and so is your budget. You will be able to get a decent Infinity Ref or JBL sub in that budget, apart from the rest of the stuff. Go ahead.
Old 10th August 2013, 09:06   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
@Anand.Mumbai, your plan is good, and so is your budget. You will be able to get a decent Infinity Ref or JBL sub in that budget, apart from the rest of the stuff. Go ahead.
Are Infinity Ref's able to produce good bass ?( not expecting the kind that a sub would produce but clear and tight without distortion) Also, they are'nt too bright are they?
Old 12th August 2013, 11:16   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Are Infinity Ref's able to produce good bass ?( not expecting the kind that a sub would produce but clear and tight without distortion) Also, they are'nt too bright are they?
Yes, Infinity Ref sub is a good sub.

The expression "bright" is associated with components (tweeters to be precise), not subs. If you meant Infinity Reference components and coaxials, no they are not bright at all.

Last edited by DerAlte : 12th August 2013 at 11:17.
Old 12th August 2013, 13:59   #35

Quote:
Yes, Infinity Ref sub is a good sub.

The expression "bright" is associated with components (tweeters to be precise), not subs. If you meant Infinity Reference components and coaxials, no they are not bright at all.
Yes I did mean the components.
I have been scanning so many forums and reading so much that I'm being left confused as I'm sure everyone can imagine.

Could someone tell me what difference is there between JBL and Infinity components SQ. I have heard that they are aimed at different sections but what sections are these exactly?

Also, should I get a head-unit with 2 or 3 pre-outs, considering I'm going to get a 4-channel amp so that I have the option to upgrade to SUB's later on. And again, 2V or 2.5V? Does that depend on the rating on the amplifier?
Old 12th August 2013, 14:45   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... Could someone tell me what difference is there between JBL and Infinity components SQ. I have heard that they are aimed at different sections but what sections are these exactly? ...
Ignore the 'different sections' part - that is creative journalism! Basically Infinity components are less 'bright' than JBL components generally. Doesn't necessarily mean all JBL components are 'bright'. To avoid confusion, it is best that you audition the speakers and form an opinion yourself - your ears, and what is in between, are the best judge.

Quote:
... Also, should I get a head-unit with 2 or 3 pre-outs, considering I'm going to get a 4-channel amp so that I have the option to upgrade to SUB's later on. ...
You need an HU with 3 outputs usually if you have a separate amp for the sub. Pioneer 2 Pre-out HUs allow one to switch the 2nd pair of Pre-outs between Rear and Sub (with a Sub control in the settings). Others provide 3 Pre-outs, with the 3rd being Sub-out, and Sub control in settings.

If you don't want Sub control, 2 Pre-outs will do, whether with or without Sub control. With HUs with 2 Pre-outs without sub control, and a 4-channel amp, the installer will set gain for the 2nd set of channels (the sub will be connected bridged across these channels) separately for tuning the sub.

Quote:
... And again, 2V or 2.5V? Does that depend on the rating on the amplifier?
No, no relation there. That is the range of input voltage that the amp is capable of adjusting to, i.e. 0-X volts. The higher X is the better. Usually X is 2, 4, 5, 6 or 8 volts. This refers to the Pre-out capability of the HU.
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2013, 16:28   #37

Quote:

You need an HU with 3 outputs usually if you have a separate amp for the sub. Pioneer 2 Pre-out HUs allow one to switch the 2nd pair of Pre-outs between Rear and Sub (with a Sub control in the settings). Others provide 3 Pre-outs, with the 3rd being Sub-out, and Sub control in settings.

If you don't want Sub control, 2 Pre-outs will do, whether with or without Sub control. With HUs with 2 Pre-outs without sub control, and a 4-channel amp, the installer will set gain for the 2nd set of channels (the sub will be connected bridged across these channels) separately for tuning the sub.
Ok one last query before I try out different combos and get back to you. Kenwood HU or Pioneer HU-- at the same price point, which one puts out better SQ?
Old 12th August 2013, 16:46   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... Kenwood HU or Pioneer HU-- at the same price point, which one puts out better SQ?
I find Kenwood SQ better, but that is a personal opinion. Pio isn't bad.
Old 19th August 2013, 11:14   #39

Quote:
I find Kenwood SQ better, but that is a personal opinion. Pio isn't bad.
The car already comes with an Alpine CDE-9845 EM. It comes with AUX at the back of the unit. Does any one know if it comes with pre-outs for connecting an amp?

If possible, I would then want to avoid changing the HU at all.
Old 19th August 2013, 11:49   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The car already comes with an Alpine CDE-9845 EM. It comes with AUX at the back of the unit. Does any one know if it comes with pre-outs for connecting an amp? ...
The manual shows it has Pre-outs, but then there is no mention of the suffix EM anywhere.

The only way to be sure is to peek at the rear of the HU. The Pre-outs are terminated at prominent RCA sockets.
Old 19th August 2013, 18:40   #41
BHPian

Quote:
The manual shows it has Pre-outs, but then there is no mention of the suffix EM anywhere.

The only way to be sure is to peek at the rear of the HU. The Pre-outs are terminated at prominent RCA sockets.
I believe it has one Pre-out. Em was a special mode for India AFAIK!

I would go in for HU with 3 Pre-outs or go for a AMP that has Speaker Level inputs and then use the one Pre-out for a SUB

Last edited by Diamond_dawg : 19th August 2013 at 18:42.
Old 20th August 2013, 12:16   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond_dawg View Post
I believe it has one Pre-out. Em was a special mode for India AFAIK!

I would go in for HU with 3 Pre-outs or go for a AMP that has Speaker Level inputs and then use the one Pre-out for a SUB
Ok I will be taking it apart today and checking out the back of it. Let us see. I hope it has two pre-outs as that would help me avoid spending on a HU. *fingers crossed*
Old 21st August 2013, 22:44   #43

Quote:
Ok I will be taking it apart today and checking out the back of it. Let us see. I hope it has two pre-outs as that would help me avoid spending on a HU. *fingers crossed*
Ok just went to the local audio shop(Vashi, Navi Mumbai) and the guy there was like it's very difficult to take the aux out of the back of the HU etc. I got that he was trying to take me for a ride. So please someone suggest a good shop where I can get my install done and everything at a reasonable price. I don't mind anywhere in Mumbai, but the work has to be really good and VFM.

Old 22nd August 2013, 10:39   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... So please someone suggest a good shop where I can get my install done and everything at a reasonable price. I don't mind anywhere in Mumbai ...
I don't think you can send a PM, but search for the contact number of @ramie2400 Paaji. He is somewhere relatively close to you. A bit further away is Janaab @bass&trouble. They will know what is required to be done.

Last edited by DerAlte : 22nd August 2013 at 10:40.
Old 22nd August 2013, 14:57   #45

Quote:
I don't think you can send a PM, but search for the contact number of @ramie2400 Paaji. He is somewhere relatively close to you. A bit further away is Janaab @bass&trouble. They will know what is required to be done.
I have snooped around a bit and have narrowed down to Hermit Auto, Fort, Mumbai for the installation. If anyone has installed their ICE from there, please give me their review.

Also, I have now almost finalized the system I would be using.

1) Infinity Ref- 6030CS - Components for the front powered by amp
2) FOCAL Polyglass 690CVX 6X9" co-axials at the rear powered by the HU(Already available with a friend who is giving it away)
3) Kenwood 4-channel amp m846

Is this system good enough? Also, please quote rough prices and if I should add a sub now considering my budget is around 15k without the HU.

Most Viewed