Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2010, 20:30   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjayc View Post
Will love to set it up. It will be great if we can meet up at Powerzone itself sometime during the weekend! Few sets of experienced ears will do me a world of good at the workshop so that any shortcomings can be taken care of then and there. The time installation finally got over, no one was around.

The car has to be taken to Powerzone anyways for some final finishing up touches.
I will be at Powerzone on Friday (whole day probably) for getting the installation done in my friend's Linea.

I also need some tweeks (most probably damping) to be done in my setup; my car would be there as well!
Old 22nd September 2010, 20:54   #47
BHPian

@Sanjay - wow what a wonderful writeup, waiting for the video. It has been over a year for my Fiesta, is it time for an ICE upgrade
Old 22nd September 2010, 23:06   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
Why will I buy the Kenwood. It costs almost as much as my entire setup dude. Only the recommendation for the 8036BT came from me.
Sorry my bad. I missed "by you" in between the sentence. What a difference it had made . That comes as ""I am told that kenny was bought by you, by Gilead.""

Quote:
When are you coming to Chennai for the auditions?
Prolly, I may turn up for the audition after a month coz travelling down south nowadays.

Last edited by whizzkid_ram : 22nd September 2010 at 23:07.
Old 22nd September 2010, 23:56   #49
BHPian

Few more closeups in brighter lighting...and better camera

Now... Playing at a FIESTA Near You...In Ultra-wide Cinemascope-making_13.jpg
Now... Playing at a FIESTA Near You...In Ultra-wide Cinemascope-making_14.jpg
Now... Playing at a FIESTA Near You...In Ultra-wide Cinemascope-making_15.jpg

Rear stage occupied by the JLs
Now... Playing at a FIESTA Near You...In Ultra-wide Cinemascope-making_rear1.jpg

Left/Right Stage
Now... Playing at a FIESTA Near You...In Ultra-wide Cinemascope-making_left.jpg
Now... Playing at a FIESTA Near You...In Ultra-wide Cinemascope-making_right.jpg

(The video quality may not do justice to the clarity of the display. Today while shooting, I sat at the rear. Experienced the display from a distance and rear speakers for the first time - it brought a smile of satisfaction)

Safety device for the rear...the screen splits into 2 while playing movies.
Now... Playing at a FIESTA Near You...In Ultra-wide Cinemascope-making_dualview.jpg

Quick shortcuts when you need it.
Now... Playing at a FIESTA Near You...In Ultra-wide Cinemascope-making_dvdmenu.jpg

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 20 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Last edited by Technocrat : 23rd September 2010 at 00:28. Reason: Please read the note in your post, thanks
Old 23rd September 2010, 00:56   #50
BHPian

Congrats dude..You got my dream setup.I thought 5.1 will sound very good in a car but never seen or heard one in a car.would definitely like to have an audition.
Any tickets available for a 'aam aadmi' like me?
Old 23rd September 2010, 07:59   #51
BHPian

Excellent setup, looks very neatly done. Unfortunate the 8036 didn't go well. Now adding your car to the list of auditions I need to get when I'm in Chennai.
Old 23rd September 2010, 08:35   #52
Senior - BHPian

Fantastic pics Sanjay. Most of the components fits perfectly in their slots Looks like Fiesta was made by Ford keeping in mind all the ICE freaks so that the boot and the doors dont loose their original purpose.

You still havent disclosed the $$$ costing. BTW one question, if everyone'e enjoying the movies when you are driving, when are you going to enjoy the movies. Now if you say you would also peek in between, then that driving and watching. Be careful on that.
Old 23rd September 2010, 10:32   #53
Senior - BHPian

That's one of my favorite action sequences from one of my all time favorite movies. What you can't feel in this video is the brute force of the shotgun explosions that could be felt in the car.

What's coming up next?
Old 23rd September 2010, 11:08   #54
BHPian

@sanjayc: Congratulations on your new setup. Absolute class.

Quote:
The car has to be taken to Powerzone anyways for some final finishing up touches.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
I will be at Powerzone on Friday (whole day probably) for getting the installation done in my friend's Linea.

I also need some tweeks (most probably damping) to be done in my setup; my car would be there as well!
Guys it would be great if this can be turned to some sort of ICE meet at Powerzone. Can that be done ? Any chennai bhpians up for it ?

Last edited by donarun : 23rd September 2010 at 11:09.
Old 23rd September 2010, 11:10   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Wowwwww, now my eyes have bulged out and it will stay that way until you post your final tuning report

A totally different way of writing and its very interesting to wait for the rest ! I am already falling in love with that HU !
Shaju used the exact words I feel. removed the kidding part
Old 23rd September 2010, 18:17   #56
BHPian

Guys..give me few hours more for further updates and replies. Caught up in regular mundane stuff.
Old 24th September 2010, 00:03   #57
BHPian

Dear All. Thanks. Hope you have been treated with some nice eyes-candy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr_007
Congrats Sanjay, was waiting for this review for a very long time. Mind-blowing stuff, but was not able to view/hear the setup with the avx-77.

Hope to get an audition soon.
Review follows. Audition will surely happen sometime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur
Kindly let us know how lightened are your pockets by this adventerous act?
Quote:
You still havent disclosed the $$$ costing
Still calculating...will let you know once finalized

Quote:
Fantastic pics Sanjay. Most of the components fits perfectly in their slots Looks like Fiesta was made by Ford keeping in mind all the ICE freaks so that the boot and the doors dont loose their original purpose.
You said it.
Quote:
BTW one question, if everyone'e enjoying the movies when you are driving, when are you going to enjoy the movies. Now if you say you would also peek in between, then that driving and watching. Be careful on that.
Video is for kids only. All DVDs played would have already been reviewed (censored) in my HT system..hence no worry on that front. But yes, I agree, still need to be carefull.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
In some of my installs, I've used the spare channel to drive a passively.....Nothing more can be done here.
Any scope for 7.1 with the spare amp channel + direct HU powered?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond
Does your HU support Wifi ?,

if yes, it would help to download the content from your home pc into car directly. i think it would be a worthwhile feature to have.

if your HU does not support it, then when you are buying videoscreens, you can look for displays with built in Wifi and memory.
You are giving me ideas!! But frankly, not sure how it will work...there is 3-storeys difference between the home desktop and car parking. Laptop is used for purely official purpose and don't want to get caught up during audits with some kinky stuff on it, you know..LOL Actually, I find those 2/4/16 GB stuff quite suitable for the purpose - while browsing in the early morn, just create a random playlist and copy the mp3s...a 10 min job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unni.ak
Naiiiseeee!!! Now this requires another Chennai drive!! What say Shaju??
Stay tuned...one fine day, actually it might just turn up at a place near you

Quote:
I did not think you were serious about getting the ICE done up. Must be Gilead's influence!
You bet! This GI is LEADing the ICE revolution in Chennai at the moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by yajaman99
@Sanjay - wow what a wonderful writeup, waiting for the video. It has been over a year for my Fiesta, is it time for an ICE upgrade
Nope, it is not time yet! Let me consult with my astrologer and find out an auspicious time for you...can u share your janampatri

On a more serious note though, pls clarify - it is, is it or it is???

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock18 View Post
Congrats dude..You got my dream setup.I thought 5.1 will sound very good in a car but never seen or heard one in a car.would definitely like to have an audition.
Any tickets available for a 'aam aadmi' like me?
In a car setup, since one is so close to the speakers + the silence, you can actually hear small nuances & variations, which is completely missed in a bigger room unless played at very high volume.

You are welcome. In these days & age, "aam aadmi" is actually the "khaas aadmi"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathee46 View Post
Excellent setup, looks very neatly done. Unfortunate the 8036 didn't go well. Now adding your car to the list of auditions I need to get when I'm in Chennai.
Dude..your setup is the reference point. No ice discussion is complete without mentioning your name...

Quote:
That's one of my favorite action sequences from one of my all time favorite movies. What you can't feel in this video is the brute force of the shotgun explosions that could be felt in the car.
I love those casual flicking & firing of shots by Arnie! Being bad never felt so good! Did'nt the morphing trend actually picked up after this movie - the sequence post where this guy walks out of the fire, turning from metal to flesh...smooth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donarun
Guys it would be great if this can be turned to some sort of ICE meet at Powerzone. Can that be done ? Any chennai bhpians up for it ?
Couple of more cars and that place will have a traffic snarl, LOL. Seems like tomm anyways a small gathering is on the cards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastapopoulos View Post
Shaju used the exact words I feel. removed the kidding part
What more should I be doing to be taken seriously?

Last edited by sanjayc : 24th September 2010 at 00:07.
Old 24th September 2010, 07:37   #58
Senior - BHPian

Hi Sanjay,

Just curious to know whether you are going to get the ICE setup insured and how much would it cost you?

Have already renewed your Car Insurance?.

To recover the cost of the ICE, maybe you need to start adding entertainment tax too.
Old 24th September 2010, 07:44   #59
BHPian

How it all came together

Few weeks back, happened to accompany Vijay (Gilead) and audition his setup (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sound-...esta-1-6s.html). It simply blew me away. This just brought to the forefront what I have been missing in terms of sound quality.

I was told that for a budget of 75K, a decent system can be produced.

The only confusion: Should I upgrade my home theater system, where I spend most of my time (till now it was a sony home-theater-in-a-box 5.1 system) or car?

I took the plunge. Then this happened, couple of weeks later.
Onkyo TX-NR5007 + Sony BDP 370 + Monitor Audio Silver RX6AV12 5.1 speaker package.

Now... Playing at a FIESTA Near You...In Ultra-wide Cinemascope-hometheatersetup.jpg

Couple of weeks with the above setup, and the itching again started - it was now Fiesta's turn. I had the fortune to get a audition of Powerzone's Estillo - competition setup. Mind blowing stuff.

I was again in two minds - should I go for the pure musical setup with comps+hu+amp+sub or take 1 step further and get the complete works? Decided that it is going to be a one-time affair, and even if the car is changed down the line, the system can be shifted & swapped..so decided to go the whole hog.

Did some quick research on the net for a good HU. Having listened to Gilead's Kenwood HU, I was leaning towards Kenny brand. Decided to import their top-of-the-line stuff DDX-896. However, got to know that the equivalent model DDX-8036BT is avlbl in India. MSRP - 59,990/- and with discounts etc 56,000/-comes with 2 year warranty.

With regards to the speakers & amp, JL/Focal was finalized, having seen & listened what it was capable of doing in Gilead's setup.

That leaves the sub. I outlined my requirements to Powerzone that basically what I needed was to have a rocking system, without the show-off. Which means, the sub should not let it presence felt outside the confines of the car. Nobody should be able to know that a loaded car is coming, from miles away with all guns blazing (the Estillo setup does exactly that). Further, I did not want too much space to be eaten up in the boot.

A Boston GT5 10" was briefly researched upon but it was not avlbl. Finally, Powerzone recommended Kicker. In case it did not measure up to my tastes, it could be replaced.

So there:
- a pair of Focal Solid 4 amps was sourced from Haresh's Chandru Auto http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/chenna...cessories.html

- Responsibility of sourcing all other items + installation was left with Powerzone http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/chenna...h-chennai.html

With regards to wiring, Powerzone recommended using Kicker...which would have cost around 9K. Apart from that other items like fuses, terminals, distribution box etc would add up to around 12K. While this was being discussed, I happened to notice the Tsunami dual-amp kit on display. Probed further about the same. While it costed a few Ks more, the sheer quality and consistency of the entire set of items, made me settle for this...only issue was it came with a capacitor which was not required for my kind of setup. A capacitor's role is to supply that extra bit of reserve power when needed. Much more powerful setups than mine are running without a capacitor.

However, after some prolonged deliberation, I decided not to compromise on this one and go for it. It came with all stuff required for wiring up the installation and nothing more needed to be acquired.

To summarize:
Kenwood DDX-8036BT HU
Focal Solid 4 AMPS
JL XR650 Csi Component Speakers, both at front & rear
Kenwood Center Speaker
A decent rear-view/parking camera
Tsunami dual-amp wiring kit
Damping (not particular about any brand as long it did its job)
Old 24th September 2010, 09:03   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Couple of more cars and that place will have a traffic snarl, LOL. Seems like tomm anyways a small gathering is on the cards.
I'm in banglore at the moment for work, would be travelling to chennai tonight. Anything planned for saturday ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks