Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2010, 13:01   #1
BHPian

USB through Aux possible?

Hi. I have a Pioneer DEH P6950IB Head Unit. The question are as follows

1. Does this unit allow me to use an USB to access songs
2. If so, how does on do it? Is it through AUX?
3. The AUX input is at the back. Would it have a provision for USB at the back (in which case its a simple thing to use a double side USB extention cable and put one end in the glove box) or would it have a 3.5mm input option only
4. If its only a 3.5mm input option, then would the following work?
(a) I take a audio extended which has two 3.5mm male pins at both end. One end goes into the aux 3.5mm in and the other to the glove box.
(b) In the glove box, i fix a 3.5 double side female coupler to the 3.5mm male pin
(c) I then use a USB cable with one side having a 3.5mm male pin which goes into the other side of the 3.5mm coupler.
(Ideally I would rather have a 1.5meter audio extention cord with a USB on one end and 3.5mm male pin on the other. But am not getting one in Bangalore)

Pls do advise.

Thanks for the help,

Victor
Old 12th October 2010, 13:39   #2
BHPian

AUX-in does just what it says - Input for sound.

Even if you do manage to get your wires, the HU will not play anything.

You could however connect your I-pod to the AUX; but it ain't no dock!

If you still feel you need to see a USB flash drive connected to your HU, for 'show', buy a Flash-drive Mp3 player like transcend, sony etc!
Old 14th October 2010, 19:30   #3
Senior - BHPian

Aux-in only accepts an analog signal from the headphone socket of a PMP or mobile phone. For USB, one needs a serial digital stream from the storage device (the PMP or mobile phone will appear as a storage device to the HU, the same way as it does for a PC). The HU must have the ability to accept the stream - won't work otherwise, since the HU should have the capability of reading directories and controlling reading of files from the device.

"I then use a USB cable with one side having a 3.5mm male pin"? There isn't such a thing. A USB cable has 2 pairs of wires - one pair for 5V power, another for serial digital data! A 3.5mm jack is meant normally only for carrying analog signal.

Search in the DIY section - @omishra (I think ) had fabricated a device using off-the-shelf components which interfaced to a PMP via USB, and to the HU via Aux-in.
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2010, 19:40   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

I have done a DIY connector for AUX-In as my Pioneer player was Aux-In ready. It worth the effort and allows me to play music via an external MP3 player using the 3.5mm stereo jack.

Here is the link:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post2064819

Now, I usually carry my MP3 Player with 8Gig songs and no more CDs to burn and maintain.
Old 23rd November 2011, 13:31   #5
BHPian

USB converter for Aux-in

Hi guys,

My car stereo has an audio-in(aux in?) at the front panel. Is there any converter/adaptor where i can connect a USB pen drive to this audio-in which i can procure from some online store like ebay?

Mods: Don't know to post my query here or not. Please move it if not appropriate to this thread.

Thanks,
Ramki

Last edited by ramki067 : 23rd November 2011 at 13:32.
Old 23rd November 2011, 15:23   #6
Senior - BHPian

Re: USB converter for Aux-in

Hi Ramki067. Well, to keep it short. You cannot.

An aux in, is just to faciliate use of your car stero or any other stereo device as an output medium for your mp3 players, cd players or mobile phones etc. It is completely different from a USB port.

There is no device that can enable this conversion.

What you can do instead is to buy an aux cable and connect the same to an MP3 player, if you have one and if you dont, then buy an MP3 player. Other alternatives include buying one of those portable usb 12 volt transmitters, which you can plug into your power socket and then play the music via your radio.

Some are dirt cheap and then there are expensive ones as well. Choice is yours, but would suggest going in for the costlier ones for better performance

Check the below links to get an idea of what I am referring to. Just searched google and got these links

car mp3 car bluetooth iPod iPhone USB Player FM Transmitter - 168A - OEM (China Manufacturer) - Car Audio & Video - Car Accessories Products

wholesale Car Mp3 Player with USB Flash Drive-buy discount Car Mp3 Player with USB Flash Drive made in China-CTO23867

Last edited by thedreamcatcher : 23rd November 2011 at 15:25.
Old 23rd November 2011, 15:52   #7
BHPian

I would stay away from the FM transmitter though they can be bought for as low as 100/- . Bought 3 of those from different manufacturers. The quality is bad since it is FM. Quite cumbersome to use also since you have to reach forward to your 12 V plug where this will be plugged in to play, pause etc - not helpful in traffic. And some models forget where you stopped playing and you end up skipping tracks to start from where you left off.

Better option - Get a good aux cable and connect to your mp3 player. Get a good cable since local cables cause noise since they do not fit well into the aux-in.
Old 23rd November 2011, 16:54   #8
Senior - BHPian

You have two options.

1 Buy a mp3 player (or better still a smart phone) and use the AUX connection to play music.
2. Replace the HU to take AUX and USB as an input.

Depending on price/cost comfort you can choose either of them. I choose to replace my HU with Sony (Basic one with USB/AUX/IPOD) for about 6K. It works wonderfully well.
Old 23rd November 2011, 17:53   #9
BHPian

I think such adapters are available.
check this link: Amazon.com: Turtle Beach Audio Advantage Amigo II USB Sound Card & Headset Adapter: Electronics

or this: Amazon.com: Logitech USB To 3.5mm Jack Audio Adapter: Electronics

Just google "usb to headphone jack adapter".
The point is, whether it's worth it, and whenther it'll work with your specific mp3 player, since many of the results thrown up are for very specific devices.

Most Viewed