Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2010, 15:47   #1
BHPian

Just front components?

Hi,

Excuse me for the newbie question, but I searched and could not find anything on the topic.

My requirements are:
-Nice clear sound with minimal distortion
-Only front seats occupied most of the time so the main thing is to have good sound at the front. Front soundstage would be nice as well.
-I dont care much for very loud or thumping bass that can be heard outside the car.
-I do however like decent 'tight' bass.

I am just trying to check if I can eliminate some components to spend more on components that I need more.

So my question, in a nutshell, is:

For my requirements, can I eliminate the rear coaxial speakers and instead put the money on good components (6.5 inch) up front? From what I read online at various expert sites this seems like a good idea, but whichever installers I visit say its a bad idea as 'most of the sound comes from the rear coaxials'.
Old 14th October 2010, 15:52   #2
Senior - BHPian

Which car is it ?

As you clearly stated most of the time only front seats are occupied then you can go for a nice set of components and leave the rear coaxials.
Old 14th October 2010, 15:58   #3
BHPian

Don't rely on the average local installer - they are no experts.

Only front components should be fine but you really should spend on a sub for bass. A 20-25k budget for a 4 channel amp, a sub+box and front components (and damping, wiring) should meet your requirements nicely.
Old 14th October 2010, 16:10   #4
h14
BHPian

You can very well go in for only components in the front. I've done it for my Spark and it is very good and effective. Do check out this for more details:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...er-review.html
Old 14th October 2010, 16:17   #5
BHPian

Initially I had 2 co axials at rear and HU. Later on I upgraded my system step by step, so first changed the HU, then got the Compos at the front and then Amp and Sub. Still I was not satisfied with the sound. I sent a PM to Gunbir Paji who suggested to get rid of Rear Co axials and it worked wonder to the sound.
Old 14th October 2010, 16:54   #6
BHPian

abhibh,

It is a Ritz. I believe it has a 6.5" speaker cutout.

anonymous, h14, CrackedHead, abhibh,

Thanks very much for your advice. My budget is in the 20-25 k range, so I can use the money saved on rear coaxials on part of the cost of a sub and decent amp.
Old 14th October 2010, 17:08   #7
Senior - BHPian

First of all where else other in a car do you have a scenario where you listen to music with speakers behind you? I guess no where except in a multi channel movie theatre or a home theatre. So ideally music should be listened to with performers or speakers in front of you. So most of the good systems will always have a good front stage and rear spekars are mostly for ambient fill. Its ok for a sub to be behind as bass anyway is mostly mono and nto stereo. I have a 3 way component speaker system in my spark with just a sub woofer and I can tell you I don't need a rear fill at all.
Old 14th October 2010, 17:58   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
First of all where else other in a car do you have a scenario where you listen to music with speakers behind you? I guess no where except in a multi channel movie theatre or a home theatre. So ideally music should be listened to with performers or speakers in front of you. So most of the good systems will always have a good front stage and rear spekars are mostly for ambient fill. Its ok for a sub to be behind as bass anyway is mostly mono and nto stereo. I have a 3 way component speaker system in my spark with just a sub woofer and I can tell you I don't need a rear fill at all.
Yes, this makes perfect sense, but I was confused by the installers, I guess I should trust my instincts more. BTW, great setup you have there with the DLS 3-way compos. How would you rate DLS for SQ and clarity vs Alpine?
Old 14th October 2010, 20:22   #9
Senior - BHPian

The rear coaxials 'fill' the car creating a feeling of being 'surrounded by sound' - despite the main image being in front (should be above dashboard, near the windscreen). Rears, if not tuned properly, do more harm than good - but ... costing 3-5K they are not going to make a severe dent in your budget. Even the occasional rear seat passengers deserve a better image at the back, which a front-only setup lacks.

Last edited by DerAlte : 14th October 2010 at 20:23.
Old 14th October 2010, 20:39   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chncar View Post
Yes, this makes perfect sense, but I was confused by the installers, I guess I should trust my instincts more. BTW, great setup you have there with the DLS 3-way compos. How would you rate DLS for SQ and clarity vs Alpine?
Yes I am quite happy with my DLS 3 way set up and I still have not got that 'urge' to upgrade. This is primarily due to good equipment and a competent installer who knows what he is doing and is just not trying to sell you expensive unwanted equipment. I went to Bass&Trouble and just asked him to give me stuff that I would be happy with and trust me he has not disappointed. So finding a good installer/consultant is half the battle won. Choice of equipment is important but IMHO all the good brands are so close to each other that its pretty difficult, at least for me, to clearly declare a winner.

About your question, I frankly have not heard Alpine but can vouch for DLS. But from what I have read from the forums Alpines are no slouch either. Just go around, hear a few set ups and decide.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks