Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2010, 09:28   #1
BHPian

“It is a MAD world out there”, these were the first thoughts that came into my mind after I read some of the ICE threads on T-Bhp. Because, for me, a car audio was two speakers in the front and 2 at the back and a Head unit that plays CD’s, that is all.

My first car was a Zen ‘97 model, till around 2004 I was very happy with a Pioneer CD player and 2, Sony speakers in the front and 2, 6x9 pioneer ovals at the back.

In 2004 I heard a full fledged car audio setup in one of my friend’s car, suddenly my car speakers sounded crap to me. The setup in his car was something different. He had a small speaker, separately on the dash and he said that he was running a pair of component speakers, a name that was never known to me.

Here, I started thinking of upgrading the front speakers alone. I have a friend who is into making body kits and customizing cars, got his help and changed my front speakers to Boston S60 components and the rears from pioneer to JBL. “Wow” was the first word that came out of my mouth. The difference was night and day, I heard tones and music that I never used to hear on the same song that I heard everyday on my previous setup. It was great, was very happy.

The components in my Zen were as follows.

Pioneer HU (sorry could not remember the model number)

Boston S60 components in the fronts

Jbl 6x9 ovals in the rear

Polk Audio db series 12 inches sub.

A Soundstream lil’ wonder 480.4, amplifier which was running my front comps and the Subwoofer. It was like heaven to me listening to that audio setup.

Years passed, and in 2009 I got a pre-worshipped Ford Fiesta 1.4 Exi, was very happy and thought, will add a similar ICE setup.

Since I had the enthusiasm, but nobody to guide me properly went and chose my own set of audio components.

Tried Kicker components in the front, No rears, and did a foolish thing of putting two Polk db124 subs in the boot. Two amps were used a JBL 2 channel and a Kenwood 9104d.

I somehow did not like the setup completely, some times the kickers were too bright and sometimes the subs were rattling my boot. I was disappointed and confused as to where to go for advice as none of my friends were into ICE.

That was the time my Registration in T-BHP got approved, was jumping with JOY. I knew now that every ICE enthusiast from INDIA would be there to give me advice and guide me.

Started reading ICE threads from members like Sathee46, Bakiya and Mi10 to name a few and really got carried away and as told here “Got bitten very badly by the ICE bug”.

Learnt many new terms like SQ, SPL, speakers being bright, laid back and flat, running speakers active and ways of using amplifiers and different speakers for different sound environment.

The setup in my fiesta was there only for 2 months and then I sold out everything.

Then started my research for the ICE …….

Started reading lots on the Internet, started hunting GP road (Chennai), but could not trust anybody there as everybody tried to sell the same old speakers.

Had many choices for Components so thought first will look for a good sub-woofers and then hunt for components; I was really leaning towards IDQV3D2 sub, loved it, spoke to Gunbir and even got the account number and was ready to transfer the amount.

Suddenly received a PM from one D-Bhp-iian, that he has a Boston G510-44 for sale

A Boston G5 -- heard it was sold out completely, I was flying with Joy as I had read about this sub in both Sathee46 and bakiya’s ICE threads and knew what it can do. Did not waste any time and bought the sub from him.

What a sub, it looked like a Gas stove.

Then came the question of a Mono-block amp that can light this Stove to it’s full potential.

Looked at Alpine PDX-M6, Rockford fosgate power series amps and Kenwood XR-1s amplifiers, but the problem was all these amplifiers were costing a bomb here and none of my friends were coming in the near future so that I can ask them to bring.

Then heard about the Focal Solid 1 amp and really liked it’s footprint. Then came another question, is a Class AB amp better or a Class D amp better for a sub. Read all the threads pertaining to this question in T-BHP forums and came to conclusion that at 500 watts RMS there is no huge difference between both classes, and moreover the AB is a bit more musical.

So, finally settled for the Focal Solid 1 amplifier, it is a real beauty.

Now again to square 1, what components?

I first thought that there were many choices, but later found out that these choices became a great headache.

Did a lot of research and settled for DLS components, but as many say “first listen and then decide” started listening to components. I went to audition bakiya’s fiesta, the DLS sounded good with all the details but it was completely laidback, I did not get the energy in the songs that I was looking for.

Please remember, I was not looking at a bright sound signature but something that would be in-between both.

Started my research again, looked at Hybrid Clarus, ID components, Rainbows, Focal and many other brands but do not know what was stopping me, may be the fact that I couldn’t decide because I did not get a chance to audition them..

As they say, “We keep searching for something, when that something is right in front of us”. Yes, I am talking about the JL XR-650 CSI component speakers.

Had already seen these speakers at Power Zone, but as everybody say, we do not give importance to things that we get easily, did not bother looking at them.

Then got a chance to hear this speakers perform in Gilead’s car and was blown away by its clarity and SQ.

So finally settled for the JL XR-650 CSI component speakers

Next, as I needed an amp to power the Front components, the question was whether to go for a 2 channel or a 4 channel.

I somehow liked the Brand JBL, and wanted to have atleast one of its products in my car. Read about Harmon/Kardon amplifiers in sathee46’s ICE thread, wanted one but a 4 channel from H/K was around 30K which was way out of my budget.

I was doing a bit research and came across the webpage www.caraudiodirect.co.uk

Saw a Harmon/kardon Ca280e – 2channel amp for less than 185 pounds. Did not think twice, luckily my wife’s uncle and his family, who are settled in London, were coming to India for holidays.

I gave a call to my wife’s cousin and asked if he could get me the amp to which he immediately agreed.

Finally, in the month of August received my Harmon/Kardon amplifier. Wow, what a beauty.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 20 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.
Attached Thumbnails
Livin La Vida Loca en mi Fiesta!- A Musical Odyssey-x065g51044b.jpeg  

Livin La Vida Loca en mi Fiesta!- A Musical Odyssey-x065g51044f.jpeg  

Livin La Vida Loca en mi Fiesta!- A Musical Odyssey-x065g51044o.jpeg  

Livin La Vida Loca en mi Fiesta!- A Musical Odyssey-img_1711.jpg  

Livin La Vida Loca en mi Fiesta!- A Musical Odyssey-img_1713.jpg  

Livin La Vida Loca en mi Fiesta!- A Musical Odyssey-img_1715.jpg  

Livin La Vida Loca en mi Fiesta!- A Musical Odyssey-img_1716.jpg  

Livin La Vida Loca en mi Fiesta!- A Musical Odyssey-img_1717.jpg  

Livin La Vida Loca en mi Fiesta!- A Musical Odyssey-img_1719.jpg  

Livin La Vida Loca en mi Fiesta!- A Musical Odyssey-img_1720.jpg  

Livin La Vida Loca en mi Fiesta!- A Musical Odyssey-img_1736.jpg  

Livin La Vida Loca en mi Fiesta!- A Musical Odyssey-img_1737.jpg  

Livin La Vida Loca en mi Fiesta!- A Musical Odyssey-img_1740.jpg  

Livin La Vida Loca en mi Fiesta!- A Musical Odyssey-img_1743.jpg  

Livin La Vida Loca en mi Fiesta!- A Musical Odyssey-img_1745.jpg  

Livin La Vida Loca en mi Fiesta!- A Musical Odyssey-img_1741.jpg  

Livin La Vida Loca en mi Fiesta!- A Musical Odyssey-img_1747.jpg  

Livin La Vida Loca en mi Fiesta!- A Musical Odyssey-img_1748.jpg  

Last edited by n_aditya : 15th October 2010 at 14:40. Reason: merged posts
Old 15th October 2010, 09:49   #2
BHPian

Now, a question again, whether to go for rear speakers or no.

I wanted some fills for the rear as I did not want only the bass coming from the rear. So, I decided to go for the rear speakers.

Started my research again, wanted to go for the JL 6x9 so as to get a matching sound signature, but was not able to get a JL 6x9 here in Chennai.

Read a lot on Focal 6x9 speakers and finally settled for the Focal Access CA691. It has a beautiful Carbon fiber cone and heard that is has got an excellent sound output.

Here are these beauties...

First, I thought I will power the rear speakers directly from the Head unit.

Then since I just had a pioneer HU that gave out only 18 watts RMS and the Focal speakers are 70 watts RMS, decided to go for a small amplifier that must not cost much and atleast give out 80% of the speakers RMS @ 4 ohms

JBL GT5-422 gave just 45 watts RMS @ 4 ohms, so went the Kenwood way and got the KAC M-525. This amplifier looks really rugged and reminds me of a engineering text book, in its size and weight and gives out 60x2 watts RMS @ 4 ohms.

The Kenwood KAC M-525

I had a pioneer 4290SD in my fiesta, and thought will continue using the same HU.

But, in one of the quick meets, heard the clarion dxz785usb in our D-Bhpian Nitrous’s car, was completely blown out by the SQ of the HU. Tried everywhere in US but was not able to find even 1 of those in any of the website, next tried in Malaysia an Singapore through some known sources who imports audio equipments but did not get a good response.

Then, got a chance to hear the Kenwood x7013 in Gilead’s car which helped me make my decision.

Finally settled for the Kenwood x7013

Heard a lot of discussions on good power cables and RCA cables, as for the power cables I had a Cadence 4 GAUGE power and ground cable from my previous install so planned on using the same.

For RCA’s chose 2 pairs of the Tsunami Elite V-10 and 1 pair of Kicker S series RCA cables.

Got a Stinger distribution box for the power cables and a Connection Audison fuse holder for the main fuse

Next comes the damping part.

Since I have experienced boot lid rattling in my fiesta, previously I did not want to take any chances again. So, I went ahead an purchased the DLS Max damper sheet for the boot lid and for the front two doors will be using a damping sheet that is quiet heavy to damp my front two doors completely.

Installation is due on 25th of October as the whole of next week Power Zone is getting ready for Ayudha Pooja.

Pictures of install will be posted after the installation is completed.

Since, this is my first big install I am very excited and at the same time keeping my fingers crossed that it should meet my expectations and I must not get disappointed as my previous setup.

Thanks one and all for patiently reading this write up and please wish me luck for my install…….

MODS, please forgive me for back to back posting. I did not know how to paste pictures and then write up in a orderly manner as I did now, Please help me merge all the posts in a single thread as it is written.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 20 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.
Attached Thumbnails
Livin La Vida Loca en mi Fiesta!- A Musical Odyssey-img_1723.jpg  

Livin La Vida Loca en mi Fiesta!- A Musical Odyssey-img_1724.jpg  

Livin La Vida Loca en mi Fiesta!- A Musical Odyssey-img_1726.jpg  

Livin La Vida Loca en mi Fiesta!- A Musical Odyssey-img_1733.jpg  

Livin La Vida Loca en mi Fiesta!- A Musical Odyssey-img_1734.jpg  

Livin La Vida Loca en mi Fiesta!- A Musical Odyssey-img_1735.jpg  

Livin La Vida Loca en mi Fiesta!- A Musical Odyssey-img_1728.jpg  

Livin La Vida Loca en mi Fiesta!- A Musical Odyssey-img_1731.jpg  

Livin La Vida Loca en mi Fiesta!- A Musical Odyssey-img_1732.jpg  

Last edited by n_aditya : 15th October 2010 at 14:41. Reason: posts merged
Old 15th October 2010, 13:19   #3
BHPian

Great Write up !! You have excellently expressed the feelings of an average music/ car audio lover. One is very happy with a simple install like a plain HU with a set of front and rear speakers of regular brands pumping out music in the car until he/she actually experiences the potential of a quality install like you did in your friend's car. Than it becomes an unending story that is full of endless choices and upgrades.

I am also in process of selecting and buying stuff for ICE install in my Swift and going through all the confusion that you have braved through to finally come up with such a wonderful set of equipment for your fiesta. I wish you are able to attain the audio nirvana that you have worked for so hard.

Cheers !!
Old 15th October 2010, 13:59   #4
Senior - BHPian

Yet another Fiesta ICE'd.

Wish Ford has a chance to see these threads.

Congrats Pr007. You have some very good equipments, wishing you all the best for your install.

Do post the Install pics, too.
Old 15th October 2010, 16:03   #5
BHPian

Drool-worthy equipment Pr_007! Wow!
A very nice write up explaining all aspects of a great ICE setup.
I know you must be itching to get the install done as soon as possible. Cheers mate, looking forward to the install pics.
Old 15th October 2010, 17:43   #6
Senior - BHPian

JL comps powered by a HK amp
Focal coax powered by a Kenwood amp
Boston sub powered by a Focal amp
All of them controlled by a Kenwood HU

Now that's what I would call a nice 'Kichdi'. I can't think of one unique sound signature that would dominate the set up. On a hunch I would say it would sound a lot like mine but with a LOT more bass. Really looking forward to an audition. Good luck on the install.
Old 15th October 2010, 19:38   #7
BHPian

Pr_007@, those pics look yummy...back2back audition coming up it seems between yours and mi10's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
JL comps powered by a HK amp
Focal coax powered by a Kenwood amp
Boston sub powered by a Focal amp
All of them controlled by a Kenwood HU
Indeed a democratic setup, without the associated cacophony, hopefully

Are 3 amps going to be in the boot?
Old 15th October 2010, 20:27   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjayc View Post
Are 3 amps going to be in the boot?
If Pr007 can make his family members sit in boot, i think 3 amps can occupy the nice rear seat
Old 16th October 2010, 02:35   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel_maniac View Post
Great Write up !! You have excellently expressed the feelings of an average music/ car audio lover. One is very happy with a simple install like a plain HU with a set of front and rear speakers of regular brands pumping out music in the car until he/she actually experiences the potential of a quality install like you did in your friend's car. Than it becomes an unending story that is full of endless choices and upgrades.

I am also in process of selecting and buying stuff for ICE install in my Swift and going through all the confusion that you have braved through to finally come up with such a wonderful set of equipment for your fiesta. I wish you are able to attain the audio nirvana that you have worked for so hard.

Cheers !!
Thanks a lot diesel maniac...I really waiting for the installation to happen.

@Mi10, thanks a lot man, but whatever I try to do I just can't even think of getting near your ICE.

@the lord, thank you very much. Yes, eagerly waiting for the install to occur.

@Gilead, thank you very much. Keeping my fingers crossed.

@Sanjay, thank you very much, but nothing like your 5.1 theater on wheels. Yes, those 3 amps are going to be in boot only
Old 16th October 2010, 11:19   #10
BHPian

Pritish, Good choice of equipment. Looking forward to taste the delicious kichidi. Good luck with the install.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi10 View Post
Yet another Fiesta ICE'd.
Wish Ford has a chance to see these threads.
+1, majority of best ICE'ed cars in this forum are Ford Fiesta's.

Last edited by donarun : 16th October 2010 at 11:21.
Old 16th October 2010, 21:55   #11
BHPian

Great choice of equipments. Waiting for the installation to be completed & an audition in my lineup.
Old 3rd November 2010, 08:53   #12
Senior - BHPian

Another *Must Audition* Set up in Chennai.

We need install pics buddy.
Please do update the thread.
Old 3rd November 2010, 09:05   #13
BHPian

Yes - agreed with Mi10, Sorry that I could'nt make it last night *last minute uninvited guests* Please do post the pictures of your setup 007.
Old 3rd November 2010, 09:34   #14
BHPian

Pr_007@, that was a neat install. Waiting for the pics.
Old 3rd November 2010, 09:39   #15
BHPian

Great Install buddy!!! Boston was rocking

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks