Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2010, 00:54   #1
BHPian

Swift ZXI HU for VDI

Hi Bhpians,
I was hunting for ICE / budget system (15k) for my yet to arrive swift vdi (abs). I went to Mondovi motors JP nagar bangalore to see what all stuff they have. As my requirements was for a budget system I was looking for good 4 speakers and HU of kenwood / pioneer etc. On the display I saw an ALPINE unit what looked like a ZXI HU (See pics). I causally asked sales man if I can fit it in VDI. He said yes. He also mentioned it is far better as it has USB and AUX port and is Alpine made costing RS 10000/-. He also said he can give me more discounts on the same. I found out to decent looking for the car as it would blend perfectly with the dash and would not look awkward.I would like to know if this would be a good buy. He was not able to give the part number for the same but it was MGA. Also I could not test the sound of the same. Please suggest an alternate uption as well for 15K (including speaks) that as USB as well.

Swift ZXI HU for VDI-26102010001.jpg

Swift ZXI HU for VDI-26102010002.jpg

Swift ZXI HU for VDI-26102010.jpg

Thanks

Last edited by Anandg : 27th October 2010 at 00:56.
Old 27th October 2010, 10:31   #2
Team-BHP Support

Ask him for a steep discount. I would expect to pay about 8K for that unit. Then add 4 6.5" coax for 7K.
Old 27th October 2010, 11:24   #3
BHPian

This looks different from the original head unit of Swift Zxi, though the outer shape is the same. The Zxi HU is all black to go with the sporty black interiors of the Swift. Attached is a interior shot of an LHD swift, but even in India it's the same unit.
Attached Thumbnails
Swift ZXI HU for VDI-27.jpg  

Last edited by Daewood : 27th October 2010 at 11:25.
Old 27th October 2010, 13:20   #4
BHPian

HI Team,
Just notice a zxi and indeed its unit is diff from what sales guy told and showed me. Anyways do gurus think it would be a good buy?
Old 27th October 2010, 13:27   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anandg View Post
HI Team,
Just notice a zxi and indeed its unit is diff from what sales guy told and showed me. Anyways do gurus think it would be a good buy?
The silver HU looks out of sync with the interiors for my likes. Original SWIFT black HU are available in the MGP website. Just have a look at it. IMO the black one looks far better. Check it here

Genuine Accessories
Old 27th October 2010, 13:32   #6
BHPian

Quote:
HI Team,
The unit which your SP showed has an USB port which the OE unit in ZXI lacks.
10k for a 2 din unit is a good price. Go ahead if you are ok with the silver finish. The same unit costs 12k here in chennai.

Last edited by Daewood : 27th October 2010 at 13:35.
Old 27th October 2010, 16:56   #7
BHPian

Thanks guys,
It is alpine made so I expect it to be good. Best part is it has USB and AUX as well. And it is MGA. Salesman said he can give me further discounts so I expect it to be around 8.5 to 9K. Also it integrates to the body and is not protruding like external ones. It is in my budget so can think about it. It adds little light to dark interiors of the swift IMO.
Old 30th October 2010, 00:24   #8
BHPian

HI Members,
Just a confusion here. Though I was planning to take the HU as per the pics pasted above, today one of my friend should be a poioneer HU 6050 in his car that appears to be a 2DIN size and was also fitting well there in the swift dash. He said the unit costed him 8500/- almost similar in price to one I mentioned above. help to decide should I go for MGA one(i have not heard the sound of it so not sure on performance but looks good) or Pioneer or others.

Thanks
Anand
Old 30th October 2010, 09:02   #9
Senior - BHPian

Wouldn't you need a dash kit to mount the Pioneer HU? Add that cost!
Old 30th October 2010, 10:08   #10
BHPian

Hi @DerAlte,
Yep, I totaly forgot. How much would that be? Excuse me for asking basic stuff as this being my first car and I never ventured in audio section. Also do suggest me which would be the best option / combi of speakers and HU totaling a budget of 15k with USB /aux a must and the HU should also look good in my car's dash. The MGA integrated alpine one I mention above was meeting the asthetics but have never heard how it sounds though.

Thanks in Advance,
Anand
Old 31st October 2010, 23:18   #11
Senior - BHPian

Get the MGA integrated HU and a pair of good components (~6K) - JBL, Infinity, Blaupunkt, Auditor, Boston, Polk etc. The HU won't be bad if it is really made by Alpine.

While buying / installing, just check if it has Pre-outs. Not that you will use it immediately, at least you will be sure later when you buy an amp (inevitable, just a matter of time ).

Last edited by DerAlte : 31st October 2010 at 23:19.
Old 1st November 2010, 04:27   #12
BHPian

Thanks DerAlte,
Yes I agree. The box had a diagram which showed it can be connected to an AMP. What you say about Pioneer 6050 as compared to this unit? Both prices and features are almost same (did not hear either of them ,hence confusion). Also if you know any good installer in south bangalore for speakers and this setup /sound proofing as well -- you know I have to waste some greens on sound proofing before they pop up on my swift.

Last edited by Anandg : 1st November 2010 at 04:32.
Old 1st November 2010, 08:08   #13
Senior - BHPian

That Alpine HU will look out of place mounted in the Swift's black dash due to HU's silver colour. And that Maruti Suzuki lettering give a cheap look to it.
Only if the HU was black.

I think your VDI already has the DIN slots so you won't need a dash kit to fix other HUs.
Old 1st November 2010, 09:24   #14
Senior - BHPian

@anandg, the best would be getting it fitted from the Maruti Service guys. Mandovi Wilson Garden (on the road behind the BTS depot; it is a Service Center only) have a couple of experienced installers. Be sure to get the Pre-out adapter if the unit uses one to get the Pre-out to RCA socket(s) and does not have RCA sockets directly on the unit.

Get the damping sheets from outside and ask them to apply that too with a heat gun. Not a difficult job, and the Service guys will be careful with the car.

Not too many experienced installers in South Bangalore other than EMC Electronics on East End Road.

I haven't seen or heard either, but a bit more sophisticated display and a slightly different sound signature is what I would expect from the Pio.

Last edited by DerAlte : 1st November 2010 at 09:35.
Old 1st November 2010, 15:35   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
poioneer HU 6050 in his car that appears to be a 2DIN size and was also fitting well there in the swift dash.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Wouldn't you need a dash kit to mount the Pioneer HU? Add that cost!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Get the MGA integrated HU and a pair of good components (~6K) - JBL, Infinity, Blaupunkt, Auditor, Boston, Polk etc. The HU won't be bad if it is really made by Alpine.
Quote:
What you say about Pioneer 6050 as compared to this unit?
I would assume the Pioneer might be a little nicer than the Alpine but the Alpine wont need a dash kit so you'd have to pay more the the Pioneer+dash kit combo.

Most Viewed