Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2010, 14:31   #151
GTO
Team-BHP Support

*Update*

Original situation : 2 DLS speaker amps + VSL sub woofer amp = Dipping

Trial 1 : 2 DLS speaker amps (VSL disconnected) = Still dipping

Trial 2 : 1 DLS speaker amp + VSL sub amp + 1 Steg speaker amp = NO Dipping

Once it was confirmed that the DLS couldn't run off the Civic's erratic power supply (either because they were resource hogs, or needed clean voltage), we decided to replace them with more efficient amps.

Final decision: Replaced both DLS speaker amps with two Steg Competition series K2-01. It's been a week of driving in all conditions : Bumper to bumper in the morning, bumper to bumper in the evening with headlamps + air-con + wipers, highway runs, long duration idling....absolutely no dipping anymore! Better SQ (thanks to the Stegs) is a bonus at the end of this ordeal! Note that I'm still running my 3.xx year old battery and absolutely no modifications have been made to the car's electrical system (just what I wanted).

Thanks a ton much for all those who helped out with suggestions & trouble-shooting . Greatly appreciate the help.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2010, 02:15   #152
Senior - BHPian

Congrats, Enjoy your ICE!! Why two 2-Channel amplifiers and not one 4 Channel??
Old 22nd November 2010, 09:11   #153
BHPian

@m4ugr8 that's coz steg make sorry made primarily 2 channel amps. Stereo. Pure and true. Plus they have better hold despite the voltage not remaining steady.
Old 22nd November 2010, 11:16   #154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4ugr8 View Post
Out of stock !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhallen.282 View Post
@m4ugr8 that's coz steg make sorry made primarily 2 channel amps.
True but they have 4 channel in the K-Series.
Old 22nd November 2010, 11:22   #155
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
Out of stock !!!
True but they have 4 channel in the K-Series.
In fact as far as I know even the 2 channel amps are now out of stock.

Until someone revives GT Electronics I dont think Steg amps will be available anymore.

Last edited by navin : 22nd November 2010 at 11:23.
Old 22nd November 2010, 11:43   #156
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Congrats, Enjoy your ICE!!
Thanks M4ugr8 : You should definitely try out the Stegs for your Civic. The entire of last week, I've tried to make the sound dip (trying to load / unload the electrical system at random)....they just REFUSE to .
Old 22nd November 2010, 12:39   #157
Senior - BHPian

Good that the problem got sorted out GTO.

@m4ugr8 : I think you can reinstall the ICE with steg amps!
Old 22nd November 2010, 12:49   #158
Senior - BHPian

Thank you guys, even my sound was not dipping/tripping with iD amps or Genesis Profile amps, I had problems with Genesis Profile ultra series amplifiers. I had recommended in the first place to switch the amps, thats what has happened here. Good to know STEGs aren't tripping.

Last edited by m4ugr8 : 22nd November 2010 at 12:49. Reason: Typo!!
Old 22nd November 2010, 13:20   #159
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thank you guys, even my sound was not dipping/tripping with iD amps or Genesis Profile amps, I had problems with Genesis Profile ultra series amplifiers...
If I remember correctly you had some overheating problem with one amp in your set up na? Is that why you shifted back the OEM system? Sad to see someone who took so much trouble to get a good ICE setup have to move back to the OEM system becuase of this ELD issue.

Anyway what we seem to have realised is that for the Honda Civic it is best that the amps used operate safely with 11V (preferably 10V) at the battery end.

Panky, like I stated before I dont think Steg amps will be back in the market for a long time (other than the second hand market) as GT electronics sadly has closed down. But there are other amps (like JL's HD series) that are also stable at 10-11V.
Old 22nd November 2010, 14:03   #160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Panky, like I stated before I dont think Steg amps will be back in the market for a long time (other than the second hand market) as GT electronics sadly has closed down. But there are other amps (like JL's HD series) that are also stable at 10-11V.
Very true. The Steg are sure a master pcs. I have three with me and I am not going to sell them. About a replacement of Steg there is Mosconi. Ajay Bhai told me they are quite similar..here is the website..

Mosconi : Official Site mosconi Endstufen Verstärker

I would be interested in getting this one in particular...

Mosconi - GLADEN A-CLASS

http://mosconi-system.it/aclass.php

Last edited by low_bass_makker : 22nd November 2010 at 14:04.
Old 22nd November 2010, 16:51   #161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... I am not going to sell them ...
I remember, quite a while back the deal was you will leave the car unlocked - so that we could steal those Stegs and the PXA without disturbing your sleep?
Old 22nd November 2010, 17:16   #162
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
I remember, quite a while back the deal was you will leave the car unlocked - so that we could steal those Stegs and the PXA without disturbing your sleep?
Tell you what, you can keep LBM's Stegs just give me LBM's HU.

Quote:
About a replacement of Steg there is Mosconi. Ajay Bhai told me they are quite similar..here is the website..
LOL. "Rumour" has it that many engineers from Steg moved to Mosconi
Old 23rd November 2010, 18:27   #163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nope. The deal was that his father would sell the "chinese" stuff (read Steg) to a junk dealer and gift him an original Japanese "Sony".
Old 18th June 2014, 13:24   #164
BHPian

Re: Car audio losing sound at low rpms! EDIT : Solved by "The Steg"

Quote:
Good to know STEGs aren't tripping.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
You should definitely try out the Stegs for your Civic. .
Quote:
I remember, quite a while back the deal was you will leave the car unlocked - so that we could steal those Stegs
Hi Folks,

Sorry to revive this old thread. Was referred to it by DerAlte today morning and I just finished reading all the eleven pages in detail.

I recently bought a used Civic S AT, and my main reason of buying was its ICE setup. Though it was out of tune, the equipment did match my taste and hence it was an easy decision to buy the car.

The set up is similar to what GTO had (not sure if he still has the same) in his Civic , except this has only 2 AMP's and not 3
(pics attached):
- Touchscreen Pioneer HU
- 2 pioneer challenger series subs
- 1 Kenwood Amp
- 1 JBL Amp
- Front Infinity Components
- Cannot see what make are the rear speakers as its inside the stock parcel tray
- 1 Cylinder (i dont know what its called, and cant read the brand clearly)

I am facing a similar problem mentioned in this thread, however in my case due to voltage the whole system output gets cutoff (no drop in volume). I can hear a constant long beep (indicating the system being tripped), when the beep stops and I restart the car - the system come son for a while before it shuts off again.

It started with this happening once in a few days, and then once every day and now the music comes "on" only once in a day (rest of the time its shut off).

I showed it to Ramie Paaji and he suspects it is faulty wiring and that should take care of the situation (see this reply here)

My dilemma (esp now after reading the thread), is about replacing the wiring and realizing I need to replace the amps as well.

My questions to you all:

1. If I go with GTO's solution of replacing the AMP, which one should it be (not sure if Stegs are still available and are in my affordable range)

2. Can I downsize to single sub, would this help ?

3. Can any of you suggest another place where I can diagnose this problem (try a diff amp setup / check battery / wiring etc ?) for a second opinion ?

I am not very high on $$$ so if the only solution is an expensive one, I would rather strip off all equipment from the boot and retain just the HU + front infinity components and rear speakers. However, I am still hopeful that I can achieve some solution that will "last long" within the available equipment.

p.s: Not sure why pictures are looking disoriented, they are perfect in my Mac. Please bear with the upside down look OR do let me know how to rotate within this site (sorry for being a noob)
Attached Thumbnails
Car audio losing sound at low rpms! EDIT : Solved by "The Steg"-photo-3.jpg  

Car audio losing sound at low rpms! EDIT : Solved by "The Steg"-image4.jpeg  

Car audio losing sound at low rpms! EDIT : Solved by "The Steg"-image3.jpeg  

Car audio losing sound at low rpms! EDIT : Solved by "The Steg"-image2.jpeg  

Last edited by salunkhe.vizz : 18th June 2014 at 13:29.
Old 18th June 2014, 16:00   #165
Team-BHP Support

Re: Car audio losing sound at low rpms! EDIT : Solved by "The Steg"

Quote:
Originally Posted by salunkhe.vizz View Post
The set up is similar to what GTO had (not sure if he still has the same) in his Civic , except this has only 2 AMP's and not 3
(pics attached):
- Touchscreen Pioneer HU
- 2 pioneer challenger series subs
- 1 Kenwood Amp
- 1 JBL Amp
- Front Infinity Components
- Cannot see what make are the rear speakers as its inside the stock parcel tray
- 1 Cylinder (i dont know what its called, and cant read the brand clearly)

I showed it to Ramie Paaji and he suspects it is faulty wiring and that should take care of the situation
1. As you can see the Cylinder (it's called a capacitor) does nothing to help the battery life. You can safely eliminate it.

2. Most amplifiers switch off if the power drops below 12.5V, Steg's amps worked fine at below 12V and that's what solved GTO's issue. Thing is the Civic alternator is programmed not to charge the battery till the battery voltage drops below 12 (at which point most amps have switched off). By using Steg, the amps were still on when the alternator came back on and recharged the battery.

You can try reducing the number of amplifiers and subwoofers as a test but I suspect that it might not help. Your best bet would be to find amplifiers that continue to operate when the battery voltage drops below 12V. Since Class D amps are more efficient, I would start with trying out a few Class D amps.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks