Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2010, 17:43   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Is the audio quality of a AUx-in as good as a USB or will it be lower than the USB ?
IMO the AUX quality shud depend on the player you are using. Say if you are playing from a phone and you switch on the 3D widening, it shud make a difference. Basically if you have a good player it will come out clearer. Of course your speakers etc will also matter.

On the other hand from a USB, it would mainly depend on the file type. As in, a MP3 320 Kbps will certainly sound better than the one on 128Kbps. Further your system capability and speakers will also make a lot of difference. This file size thing will also change in the above phone scenario also

I don't think you would be able to clearly judge as to which plays better.

Any audio Guru may please correct my understanding.
Old 9th November 2010, 17:44   #17
BHPian

Quote:
I agree that i may not be able to peform certain functions with my remote via a AUX-IN that i could do with a USB but i hardly use the remote of my existing JVC as i find it more easy to reach the stereo controls rather than fumble around and try to find the remote while driving.But my main question is, Is the audio quality of a AUx-in as good as a USB or will it be lower than the USB ?

Thank you all for your responses.
by logic, they all have chips inside.. lesser the chips, cleaner the sound. the portable player may not have a line out. so source signal is coming through a cheap amplified circuit fed to a HU. now i presume it again goes through the HU amp so another processing layer for RCA out. but to notice all this in a regular setup, i don't honestly know how much sound difference it would make. iPods work fine, so would the better branded MP3 players. but for a cheaper make and a setup with amps, and i would recommend a pen drive anyday.

and learn to use the remote. keep it in a fixed place on dash, or below HU box near gear lever. you will not have to take your eyes off the road then. once you learn it, its faster, easier and safer. and remotes are cheap, HU buttons if they go kaput will be more hassle to repair.

now only if somebody had thought of making an amp with a pen drive and FM. we wouldn't need HUs at all. sam... are you listening!!!
Old 10th November 2010, 09:43   #18
BHPian

Provided you're playing the same file, say a 128 KBPS track from a phone connected to HU through AUX and from a USB drive connected to HU, the latter will have less DAC (Digital to Analog converter) conversions and hence lesser chances of noise getting in. But in practicality, it may be barely noticeable depending on the SNR ratio of the AUX source and the HU.
Old 10th November 2010, 10:52   #19
BHPian

USB should be preferred all the way and if MicroSD slot is there then its even better. Reason is that AUX uses wire which means loss in quality. Wire clutter problem is there too. Also you will have extra work of connecting your device each time you start driving then playing the song first from device then adjusting the volume in both devices etc etc quite a headache.

I use SD card as it does not protrude from HU like a pendrive and when I feel the need of new songs, I just take it out when I park car and fill it. My friend uses MicroSD card which almost go inside the HU. We both have same HU. Nothing fancy but locally made ones which have only USB and card slot.

Having AUX has one benefit, suppose your friend in your car has really nice song in his/her phone, you can play it loud.

Technically shorter the better:

AUX= device pre amp --> device amp --> cable ---> HU amp --> speakers

USB/CARD = HU pre amp --> HU amp --> speakers

Last edited by Hashim : 10th November 2010 at 10:55.
Old 10th November 2010, 11:37   #20
Senior - BHPian

I am also looking for a replacement HU for my Dad's M800's cassette player HU. I need FM, aux, USB and possibly microSD. What would be the typical price range for such a HU ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
It depends on the protocol used. First it is necessary to have the hard disk in FAT32 format. Windows may not permit a format in FAT32, and you may have to use Swiss Knife or similar.

Either the HU data protocol will flatten the entire data structure, or it iwll read through it the way a PC does (Artist, album, folder search, name search etc.)

Yes, some HUs have a software limit where they cannot handle more than 999 songs.
What is Swiss Knife ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hashim View Post
USB should be preferred all the way and if MicroSD slot is there then its even better. Reason is that AUX uses wire which means loss in quality. Wire clutter problem is there too. Also you will have extra work of connecting your device each time you start driving then playing the song first from device then adjusting the volume in both devices etc etc quite a headache.
That is the most sensible explanation:
1. loss in quality because of aux connection
2. wire clutter
3. hassle of connecting and removing the device

Rohan
Old 10th November 2010, 13:46   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
I am also looking for a replacement HU for my Dad's M800's cassette player HU. I need FM, aux, USB and possibly microSD. What would be the typical price range for such a HU ?
Rohan
I already posted the price range on the prior page---but none of those devices have an SD or micro SD card slot. Unless you are finicky, I think USB with Aux in would suffice.

SD cards are also brittle and small---can get lost easily.
Old 10th November 2010, 14:01   #22
BHPian

Quote:

What is Swiss Knife ?
This is a swiss knife []:

Aux v/s USB-swissarmyknife.jpg

Sorry Rohan, Actually Sam meant the kind of File Allocation Table (FAT) structure used for formatting hard disks.

If windows does not allow using the FAT32 format of the HD, then a Partition Management software like 'Swiss Knife' has to be used.

Description at SwissKnife – Free Partition management software

Other Partition Management software can also be used instead of Swiss Knife.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
It depends on the protocol used. First it is necessary to have the hard disk in FAT32 format. Windows may not permit a format in FAT32, and you may have to use Swiss Knife or similar.

Either the HU data protocol will flatten the entire data structure, or it iwll read through it the way a PC does (Artist, album, folder search, name search etc.)
Old 11th November 2010, 09:57   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
I already posted the price range on the prior page---but none of those devices have an SD or micro SD card slot. Unless you are finicky, I think USB with Aux in would suffice.

SD cards are also brittle and small---can get lost easily.
Thanks for the prices.

I don't prefer HUs which have USB interface on the front since the USB stick sticks out like a sore thumb and obstructs free movement or the driver's hands/feet.

That's why I felt that SD card would be a better option. I will look around for the options available.

Rohan
Old 11th November 2010, 10:54   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the prices.

I don't prefer HUs which have USB interface on the front since the USB stick sticks out like a sore thumb and obstructs free movement or the driver's hands/feet.

That's why I felt that SD card would be a better option. I will look around for the options available.

Rohan
Rohan, there are slim pen drives available which is hardly projects from the HU as the total length will be less than 3Cm out of which almost 1.5Cm will be inside the USB socket and the balance projection will be less than the HU volume knob.

Aux v/s USB-slim-pen-drive-hp.jpg

eBay India: HP 4GB PEN DRIVE 2 YEARS WARRANTY SHIPPING FREE (item 170564070092 end time 12-Nov-2010 18:36:38 IST)
Old 11th November 2010, 11:06   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajjt View Post
Rohan, there are slim pen drives available which is hardly projects from the HU as the total length will be less than 3Cm out of which almost 1.5Cm will be inside the USB socket and the balance projection will be less than the HU volume knob.
Thanks for the info.

But still, for HUs with USB socket on the front, there is always the hassle of removing the USB stick every time you want to take out the detachable front panel of the HU (for theft prevention during parking).

I prefer HUs with USB connectivity at the rear, extended though a cable. The USB stick can be permanently connected to this cable and need not be removed every time you need to remove the front panel while parking.

Rohan
Old 17th November 2010, 14:11   #26
Senior - BHPian

Got The JVC KD-R415

Hello guys,

I finally after much thought got my 800 a brand new JVC KD-R415 with CD,USB & Aux for 4500 bucks. I actually wanted to go the used way but then decided it was not worth the money saved as one didn't know if the unit was stolen or not.

I also orginally wanted to buy a new with only a Aux in unit so i could plug in my mobile and use the same.But i figured it would have gotten a bit messy with all the wires and a bit distracting while driving if the mobile was attached to the USB.

The JVC can play both from aux and also by directly connecting the mobile to the USB port as well.But i think i will go for a 4gb pen drive for now so i don't have to bother myself to remove the wires of the mobile etc.

Below are pics of the same. I am quite happy with my purchase.I do have a few of questions.

1) The online manual (http://www.jvc.co.nz/assets/pdf-manual/KD-R316.pdf) says i am not to start the car with a USB connected to the HU.Any idea why it's so?

2) Can my HU support a 8 GB pend drive,i am as of now considering only
a 4 GB pen drive to be on the safe side?

3) The Manual says-

This unit cannot recognize a USB device

whose rating is other than 5 V and exceeds 500 mA.What does that mean ?

thanks a lot.
Attached Thumbnails
Aux v/s USB-photo0188.jpg  

Aux v/s USB-photo0189.jpg  

Aux v/s USB-photo0190.jpg  

Old 17th November 2010, 14:33   #27
BHPian

Quote:

This unit cannot recognize a USB device

whose rating is other than 5 V and exceeds 500 mA.What does that mean ?
This means if you plug an external HDD to USB (which is a desktop HDD in casing with USB attachment) then it won't work because it needs higher voltage and thats why AC adapter is included with casing. laptop HDD in casing might work as it works without adapter. In simple words all pen drives will work with your HU however there will be some size restriction (8 gb or 16 GB) just check your manual. Very large size pen drive are sometimes not supported.
Old 18th November 2010, 00:19   #28

Aux is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
...Adding upto that, I use my Nokia N79 built in stereo FM transmitter to hear my mobile songs on HU. It will give the flexibility of wireless connection plus, the audio will be muted on a call I love that indirect functionality of this feature.
Great discussion going on here. I second bhp_maniac's opinion.

I connect my phone to my HU with similar cord:

When I use my phone + aux in car, my music mutes when I get a call and secondly, I can shuffle through various playlists I already created in my phone, and thirdly, my music is always with me whether I am in my car or at home.

I also use my phone to connect to my Sony Mini-HiFi at home. I connect through a similar cord:
Old 18th November 2010, 12:30   #29
dot
Senior - BHPian

Abhijeetaj, I second this. Playing music through AUX-in has some neat advantages as you have mentioned.
After purchasing Nokia X6 and downloading music fron OVI store, I found that that OVI files are far superior compared to regular mp3s. My stock HU (Kenwood) didnt have a AUX-in. So bought a new Sony HU only with a Aux-in, not USB. Then changed the stock speakers to JBL and Illusions. Finally added an amp. Now planning to change the car.
Old 18th November 2010, 18:24   #30
BHPian

I have used both USB and AUX for approximately 2 years in my car, both have their own set of pros and cons.
Aux
pros
-Your music source will be your mobile which will be with you most of the times.
-In case you make or receive calls, your hands will be free as the sound will be amplified through HU and will come through car speakers. Phone mic will be used as mic
-In case your mobile has equiliser, then the output will be double equilised(first your mobile then your head unit)resulting in more punchy output
Cons
-scrolling your collection on mobile while driving is not that comfortable. I simply switch to random mode and change the song if its not according to current mood.
USB
Pros
-easy scrolling of songs through head unit controls
Cons
-sound output will have less punch as compared to aux.
-You have to regularly update your pen drive with your latest favourite songs.
Note- you can also use your mobile oabout samsung)
In the end I use aux most of the time.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks